UConn vs. Wake Forest | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Wake Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am glad everyone is seeing what i have said all along. We were not going to be in the running for these coaches. They will all go to power confetences or they will stay put before coming here. We need to have a keen eye at coordinators i.n other places or find a coach that hasnt peaked yet. Fwiw im not overly impressed witj the mac coaches anyway.

Reaction Score
Wake is in a power conference and has very deep pockets. Sadly, it is the more attractive of the two jobs in modern terms where affiliation means more than winning. I think the ceiling is hire for a coach here, but Wake is an easier landing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes because it matters that UCF is going to a BCS game this year going forward.

If you don't understand the recruiting impact of being in a non BCS league versus a BCS league I don't know what to tell you.

Is Wake Forest a great job? No of course not. Is their conference affiliation a huge advantage over UConn's? Of course it is.

It should be obvious that this is the case. And they do have a recruiting advantage, even being the smallest fish in the NC pond. It's a good school, and the value of that WF degree is fairly high. The job does have a ceiling of sorts, but may be less challenging than UConn's. As I've said before, the UConn job is high risk, high reward. It requires the right mindset. In hindsight (and foresight for most of us) you can see how PP was a terrible choice. We are going to need an agressive coach, with everything to prove, who isn't afraid to take some chances.

Reaction Score
JFowlerCBS12:36pm via Web
There's been no contact between UConn and Bowling Green's Dave Clawson, which sort of surprised me. Thought they might kick tires there

Warde did say he wasn't going to contact anyone until the season was over. BG plays in the Championship game Friday.

I prefer Ambrose over Clawson:

(My realistic list)

Lembo
Narduzzi
Ambrose (I think Ambrose could be great someday; I'm intrigued by guys slightly nuts like Calhoun; Vince Lombardi was a bit of a whack job)
Moorhead
Weist
Quinn
Clawson

I'm surprised Matt Campbell and Rod Carey's names never come up anywhere. They should be part of the search.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Warde did say he wasn't going to contact anyone until the season was over. BG plays in the Championship game Friday.

Warde said HE wasn't going to contact the coach. More than a lot of wiggle room in that statement (agent, Parker etc etc)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The right coach can win at Wake because the ACC outside of FSU isn't that tough. If Stanford can be a Top 10 team, then just about anyone can. Question is Wake's commitment level? I don't think they are all-in for FB.

Save for conference affiliation, UConn is a much better job.

Reaction Score
Wake Forest is in the same ACC division as Clemson, Florida St., NC St., Syracuse, BC, and Louisville. You play them every year. The other division is easier. WF had some success when Clemson and FSU were down. Throw in all of the limitations that have already been discussed and WF is a very tough job dead end job.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Warde said HE wasn't going to contact the coach. More than a lot of wiggle room in that statement (agent, Parker etc etc)

Yeah - smart move getting Parker involved, eh?

Reaction Score
If Clawson is 31-31 lifetime at BG and has a stinker in season 2 here without great recruiting, this ship will totally run aground. On the other hand, Lane Kiffin fired him and that's a big plus for me.

1. Narduzzi POSSIBLE
2. Peterson (probably not interested) YEAH RIGHT
3. Lembo NOPE, NOT INTERESTED
4. DeRuyter PROBABLY A TOP CANDIDATE FOR UDub
5. Orgeron HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Yeah right.
6. Moorhead I prefer Ambrose over him, but he is good people.

Reaction Score
Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

I guess Tuberville didn't get the memo on the importance of conference affiliation.

If you consider both Wake and UCONN to be stepping stones in your career which is the better stepping stone?

Reaction Score
Money talks. Warde can get Narduzzi if the offer is sweet enough, and besides money there are other reasons mentioned already that make UCONN a much better deal than WF. The big variable here is Susan Herbst, IMO. She needs to give Warde a blank check (within reason) if they truly want to better the football program. That being said, I hope they also give TJ a serious look.

SH is much more than a variable. She's the "closer." The right coach will be sold by her vision for the University, and her ability to sell that vision. Much will depend on what SH can reveal about her future plans and their impact on the Athletic Department; specifically football.

Reaction Score

If Mora takes UW, Does DeRuyter go into play for ?UCLA w/ others (Franklin, Petersen? etal). May still be "available" all said and done. UConn needs UW to move ahead sooner than later to bring the falling west coast dominoes closer to the end.

Reaction Score
If Mora takes UW, DeRuyter goes into play for ?UCLA w/ others (Franklin, Petersen? etal). But may still be "available" as said and done. UConn needs UW to move ahead sooner than later.

Mora saying UW was his dream job basically got him fired in Atlanta.

Reaction Score
Care to elaborate? Why don't you think we would have "those options" in recruiting? Most coaches will tell you that the coaching game is 40 or 50% recruiting. UCONN has a lot to offer and we still can out recruit them in basketball. Also name a high profile coach in the entire northeast where Narduzzi would have heavy competition recruiting against? That being said, I like Narduzzi for several other reasons, some of which you mentioned, so it's not just about recruiting.

Addazio is an absolute fireball, as a recruiter. I saw it during Jonathan Meyers' (went to Princeton) senior year at Greenwich. He was on the sidelines during one or two Greenwich games; something guys from other schools were mumbling about, believe me. He was high fiveing and spanking fannies. He was all over the place. The prior summer, he had shown the Greenwich coaching staff how to use their wing-T run blocking schemes in a spread offense. The guy knows how to sell his product.

Reaction Score
Kinda nice to have a search firm now huh? Agents can't not talk to these guys. It's the way the game is played.

Here we go. . . only mentioned Parker because it's a grudgingly-accepted reality. Warde and his already-existing highly paid team are perfectly capable of "reaching out" to agents without paying a middleman to do so.

Reaction Score
SH is much more than a variable. She's the "closer." The right coach will be sold by her vision for the University, and her ability to sell that vision. Much will depend on what SH can reveal about her future plans and their impact on the Athletic Department; specifically football.

There's been a lot of chatter here about "spending other's people money" and "overpaying". UConn needs to pay the market rate for Top 25 programs to show it means business, then have a highly-incentivized contract that should leave no doubt as to what the school's ambition is in football. Tie the contract to TV revenue. That will help agents sell reluctant candidates (like Lembo)

I want the college football world to say "why did he go there?" And I want the new guy to explain in Geno A. "league of our own" terms why he did. BTW, the press conference should be held at the 50-yard line of Shenkman. "Just look at this place. This is why I'm here. This school is committed to football" etc etc

Reaction Score
Addazio is an absolute fireball, as a recruiter. I saw it during Jonathan Meyers' (went to Princeton) senior year at Greenwich. He was on the sidelines during one or two Greenwich games; something guys from other schools were mumbling about, believe me. He was high fiveing and spanking fannies. He was all over the place. The prior summer, he had shown the Greenwich coaching staff how to use their wing-T run blocking schemes in a spread offense. The guy knows how to sell his product.

I don't get the infatuation with Addazio. Sure, he is a high energy guy, but he has not proven himself as a head coach and he certainly never established himself as a good OC. His first year at Temple, he benefited from Al Golden's turnaround and recruits and Bernard Pierce, a top RB. His second year, he was 4-7 and this year Temple is worse. Where are Addazio's recruits at Temple?

Look at BC this year. He inherited a senior dominated team and he inherited the top RB in the country in Andre Williams. Record of 7-5. Next year should be very tough as the QB, RB, FB, top WR, both OTs, both DEs, one DT, 2 LBs, and the punter and kicker are all seniors. He has no proven ability to recruit and develop a whole team, so let's see how it goes.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There's been a lot of chatter here about "spending other's people money" and "overpaying". UConn needs to pay the market rate for Top 25 programs to show it means business, then have a highly-incentivized contract that should leave no doubt as to what the school's ambition is in football. Tie the contract to TV revenue. That will help agents sell reluctant candidates (like Lembo)

I want the college football world to say "why did he go there?" And I want the new guy to explain in Geno A. "league of our own" terms why he did. BTW, the press conference should be held at the 50-yard line of Shenkman. "Just look at this place. This is why I'm here. This school is committed to football" etc etc

I agree with every word. Changing our perception from Day 1 will be important.

Reaction Score
Wake Forest is in the same ACC division as Clemson, Florida St., NC St., Syracuse, BC, and Louisville. You play them every year. The other division is easier. WF had some success when Clemson and FSU were down. Throw in all of the limitations that have already been discussed and WF is a very tough job dead end job.

Worth a tweet to any coach considering them.

Ruskin please explain how (and why) you tie a contract to TV revenue. What power does a coach have over this?

Exactly what is Lembo's "preferred" destination and if he misses out on a chair when the music stops is he willing to spend another year where he is? In any case, if he doesn't want to be here (10 toes in) he should be permanently scratched because we can't afford a guy with one toe out the door.

Last edited:

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I agree with every word. Changing our perception from Day 1 will be important.

I don't really care if we "win" the press conference. We need to win on the field.

Reaction Score
Here we go. . . only mentioned Parker because it's a grudgingly-accepted reality. Warde and his already-existing highly paid team are perfectly capable of "reaching out" to agents without paying a middleman to do so.

Really? If everyone else is using a firm then wouldn't that put us at a disadvantage since it's clear that we can't just go and hire whoever our first choice is.

Reaction Score

If you want to understand overpaying then google "Brett Bielema".

Dropping a fortune on a dude for the sake of it is cargo cultish. So glad you aren't in charge.

Reaction Score
USA Today Analysis w/ Pros/cons and possible candidates - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...job-evaluation-wake-forest-jim-grobe/3858163/

Cliff Notes Version:

>>In reality, only one coach seems to fit each of Wake's criteria: Lembo. He was previously the coach at Elon, a similarly small, private university in North Carolina. His time at Lehigh is another example of his work at a strongly academic university. Most of all, Lembo would give Wake a coach with a background on offense, a strong knowledge of both the region and the private school environment, and a history of impressive success at each of his three college stops. Wake is not the only program looking at Lembo, however.<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom