UConn vs. Wake Forest | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Wake Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This list look familiar? . . . I know it's hard to get past the conference thing but c'mon. Do a blind test between TV markets, size of fan base etc and UConn's is a better job and needs to be sold as such. Clearing the Edsall bar here is going to be a lot easier than clearing the Grobe bar down there. The coach who goes to Wake is going to be the fourth-biggest fish in that Carolina pond.

Reaction Score
You are looking at this rationally. Unfortunately, college football isn't rational.

Reaction Score
Who knows if truly accurate - Sports Director @ ESPN Triad

@Turkin35: Can confirm #msu DC Pat Narduzzi is interested in @WakeFB opening. Has brought in tons of recruits including @KirkCousins8 and @L_Bell26

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well if it does come down to us vs. Wake... they can only hire 1 HC!

Reaction Score
Need the Udub job to be decided quick as that will cause a few more dominos to fall before the weekend...

Reaction Score
Well if it does come down to us vs. Wake... they can only hire 1 HC!

Was thinking Ed Orgeron would be a good choice seeing as he turned USC around pretty well after the Kiffin debacle. I hope he is at least on the radar.

Reaction Score
This list look familiar? . . . I know it's hard to get past the conference thing but c'mon. Do a blind test between TV markets, size of fan base etc and UConn's is a better job and needs to be sold as such. Clearing the Edsall bar here is going to be a lot easier than clearing the Grobe bar down there. The coach who goes to Wake is going to be the fourth-biggest fish in that Carolina pond.

Here's what the AD said this evening:

>>Wellman said he always keeps a short list of possible replacements but has no timetable to find a new coach and said he's not limiting himself to any particular set of qualities.

"If you asked me what my druthers would be, certainly (a) head coach who's had private-school experience and great success," Wellman said. "That would not be earth-shattering news to anyone that those three factors are important to us. That doesn't mean that we won't consider other people. We will. But that's where we would start."<<

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/12/02/3426828/ap-source-grobe-is-resigning-at.html#storylink=cpy

Reaction Score
Narduzzi would take Wake Forest over UConn because it IS in a P5 conference.

Perhaps he believes UConn's chances to BiG are slim to none. Coaching in the AAC will not set off many fireworks for a coach of value.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This will be a true barometer of how far UCONN's stock has fallen thanks to CR. I might have my homer glasses on, but I don't consider Wake to be a better job than UCONN in a million years. A small private school with a very small fanbase that plays 4th fiddle in its own state (and that includes the very small fiddle that is normally Duke) versus a large public school with a very good fanbase with the backing of the entire state and region. Unless Wake plans on ponying up $3+M/yr, which is about as likely as Nick Saban leaving Alabama for Wake, I don't see how a qualified candidate would opt to go to Wake over UCONN. Wake has the conference affiliation edge over UCONN but they are on TV as often (or less) that UCONN. But I'd be very interested to see if a Narduzzi or Lembo winds up there for $2M/yr or less and we get stuck with an Ambrose type of coach. If that happens, we are really screwed.

Reaction Score
A small private school with a very small fanbase that plays 4th fiddle in its own state (and that includes the very small fiddle that is normally Duke) versus a large public school with a very good fanbase with the backing of the entire state and region. Unless Wake plans on ponying up $3+M/yr, which is about as likely as Nick Saban leaving Alabama for Wake, I don't see how a qualified candidate would opt to go to Wake over UCONN. Wake has the conference affiliation edge over UCONN but they are on TV as often (or less) that UCONN.
Do you look to see/find Wake Forest games over the season on TV? If you did, you would see they were on ABC/ESPN mirror coverage as many times as Uconn the past 3 years, they were on the ACC game of the week (kind of like Uconn on SNY) many times and all others on ESPN3. Just because you don't look for them, do not make the assumption that their TV exposure is any worse. And if Uconn has the backing of an entire state and region, explain last week's reported attendance?

Wake will pay competitively. It has been paying Grobe well as he turned down several high profile jobs to stay at Wake. And since Uconn is not going to pay $3mm, Wake will be pretty much in line with market for their new coach. While Uconn has some advantages, Wake also has its advantages including better long term revenue, better conference opponents and better bowl games. I want Uconn to get the best coach possible. But Grobe was an unexpected wild card. Uconn and Wake want the same thing in the same price range in a new coach. It is easy to dismiss Wake from a Uconn perspective, but it does not make it true that Uconn is a hands down better option.

Reaction Score
Don't forget, Wake Forest, despite all its disadvantages, manhandled UConn pretty good in the Mieneke Car Care bowl in 2007.........when UConn had Lorenzen and Donald Brown.

I wouldn't be so quick to put Wake Forest down.

Coaches, when interested in changing jobs, you would think would want to go to an institution where they have a good chance to succeed. Who would the better talented student athletes want to play against.......teams in the ACC, or teams in the AAC.

If Vanderbilt can succeed in the SEC with all its academic disadvantages to recruiting, Wake Forest can succeed in the ACC with a good coach. Vanderbilts disadvantages didn't stop Franklin from taking that job, and look what he has done in the last three years. They have played very competitively this year, EVEN in its losses to SEC teams.

Reaction Score
Wake Forest is the definition of a dead end job. Grobe was the most successful WF coach since the 1940s and he had a career winning % of less than 0.500.

It should be much easier to get UConn to a winning record than WF. If you are an ambitious coach and have long range goals, UConn is a better job than WF.

One last point. Don't get hung up on any names. There are many issues that can sway a coach from one school to another. And, some of the best coaching hires were not big names when they were first hired. There are plenty of good coaches out there.

Reaction Score
Just because you don't look for them, do not make the assumption that their TV exposure is any worse. And if Uconn has the backing of an entire state and region, explain last week's reported attendance?

Last week's reported attendance can be explained by three words. One. And. Nine. And I'd bet whatever the TV ratings were in Connecticut (ESPNU) beat the mortal crap out of whatever Wake got in North Carolina for playing Vandy. When UConn gets things going again the interest in this state will dwarf anything Wake got in N.C. when they went to the Orange Bowl.

Reaction Score
Who knows if truly accurate - Sports Director @ ESPN Triad

@Turkin35: Can confirm #msu DC Pat Narduzzi is interested in @WakeFB opening. Has brought in tons of recruits including @KirkCousins8 and @L_Bell26
Money talks. Warde can get Narduzzi if the offer is sweet enough, and besides money there are other reasons mentioned already that make UCONN a much better deal than WF. The big variable here is Susan Herbst, IMO. She needs to give Warde a blank check (within reason) if they truly want to better the football program. That being said, I hope they also give TJ a serious look.

Reaction Score
This will be a true barometer of how far UCONN's stock has fallen thanks to CR. I might have my homer glasses on, but I don't consider Wake to be a better job than UCONN in a million years. A small private school with a very small fanbase that plays 4th fiddle in its own state (and that includes the very small fiddle that is normally Duke) versus a large public school with a very good fanbase with the backing of the entire state and region. Unless Wake plans on ponying up $3+M/yr, which is about as likely as Nick Saban leaving Alabama for Wake, I don't see how a qualified candidate would opt to go to Wake over UCONN. Wake has the conference affiliation edge over UCONN but they are on TV as often (or less) that UCONN. But I'd be very interested to see if a Narduzzi or Lembo winds up there for $2M/yr or less and we get stuck with an Ambrose type of coach. If that happens, we are really screwed.

They can't hire both Narduzzi and Lembo for HC.

Reaction Score
Of course Warde and Herbst know already what you are saying. They have to outbid schools like WF by an appreciable amount for coaches like Narduzzi and they know it. It's their one big trump card, a small private school like WF just does not have the resources to offer $3mill. If the UCONN administration cares about improving the UCONN football program, then that is what they will do..

Reaction Score
This will become a bidding war if true. We will overpay for either of these guys.

Reaction Score
This will become a bidding war if true. We will overpay for either of these guys.
Not sure about Lembo, but Narduzzi is definitely worth the extra money. Among other things, he is an excellent recruiter, we need that, and his contacts in the B10 coupled with Warde's could be invaluable down the road. He recruited Kirk Cousins, who reminds me somewhat of Casey.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how much Wake will actually pony up to pay their new coach. It as been said here several times and I have heard it on the outside that Warde has not been given a real "budget" by Herbst and that like he said "we won't be paying $5 Million a year" he has been given the green light to pay the right person $3 Million.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how much Wake will actually pony up to pay their new coach. It as been said here several times and I have heard it on the outside that Warde has not been given a real "budget" by Herbst and that like he said "we won't be paying $5 Million a year" he has been given the green light to pay the right person $3 Million.
Yes Warde, but you might be paying $4 million a year? ;)

Reaction Score

If true you are not helping him negotiate.

I heard he can't go over 2 Million. :cool:

Reaction Score
From a JF CBS Sports Story this morning:

>WAKE FOREST: Wake doesn't seem like an easy place to win consistently, but Grobe (Orange Bowl in 2007) and Duke's David Cutcliffe (10-2 this year) have shown private schools can get it done in the triangle. Upgrading talent will be a premium. Expect Wake to value an academic-minded coach.

The first call should go to…Ball State's Pete Lembo. Lembo once coached at nearby Elon and is the rare coach with success at three different programs. Wake needs a coach who can win without over-the-top resources or roster talent, and Lembo has done that at his previous stops.

Worth a call (or text): Bowling Green's Dave Clawson, Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi, Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris. Clawson is a program-builder who has the Falcons beating their last four opponents by 40 points per game. Narduzzi is an intriguing candidate for Wake or UConn because of what he's done with the Spartans' defense. What does a program do when it needs offensive help? Hire Morris, the AFCA Assistant of the Year whose offense is a walking espresso.<<

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...las-jim-mora-should-be-washingtons-first-call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom