UConn v. #7 Maine Black Bears @ XL Center (Friday 1/12/24 @7p & Saturday 1/13/24 @3p). Both games on ESPN+ | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn v. #7 Maine Black Bears @ XL Center (Friday 1/12/24 @7p & Saturday 1/13/24 @3p). Both games on ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s these games against top teams where UConn’s lack of recruiting success really shows up

So limited offensively and lack of speed and quickness. The dearth of higher level Hockey East scoring talent kills this program. Too many 4th liners

Battening down the hatches with a 3rd period lead is such an indictment on Cav. They even did it against Harvard, one of the worst teams in the country

That Cav got a 600k a year contract is insane and UConn cannot get out of it

Reaction Score
It took 50 posts for someone to say thee Boston based refs are an absolute abomination when it comes to us. I'm a broken record when it comes to UConn home games. We are treated with a thousand times less respect than the hoops team.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Was that even a penalty? Looked like shoulder to shoulder and I didn't see the elbow come up.
Awful, but typical HEA call against UConn. Just about every time we hit someone it’s a penalty. Maine leaves our guys laying on the ice and it’s incidental contact.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
It’s these games against top teams where UConn’s lack of recruiting success really shows up

So limited offensively and lack of speed and quickness. The dearth of higher level Hockey East scoring talent kills this program. Too many 4th liners

Battening down the hatches with a 3rd period lead is such an indictment on Cav. They even did it against Harvard, one of the worst teams in the country

We dominated a good part of that game. I can’t agree with your take here. Hit the post twice and had a goal taken away. Then the refs decided to get involved even more, which they seem to do in all of our games. The only really unforgivable thing we did was to give up the short handed goal.

Reaction Score
Matthew Wood has scored a goal in 2 Hockey East games out of 12. A total of 8 points in 12 HE games. Overall: 13 points in 19 games

Bradly Nadeau has 9 goals in 9 Hockey East games. 16 total points in 9 games. Overall: 26 pts in 19 games

Both 1st rounders, Both 18 years old

Nadeau is in his 1st season. This is Wood’s 2nd

Nadeau picked 15 spots later in the 1st round

Reaction Score
We dominated a good part of that game. I can’t agree with your take here. Hit the post twice and had a goal taken away. Then the refs decided to get involved even more, which they seem to do in all of our games. The only really unforgivable thing we did was to give up the short handed goal.
Maine hit posts too. Everyone hits posts

Maine dominated the 3rd. Their talent took over.

Reaction Score
They have the gall to see if the elbowing call that decided that turned the game for all intents and purposes was a 5 minute.
And then these god damn weaseks upon seeing the review realize it wasn't elbowing and actually a clean hit. And of course Maine goes on to score.
then. them all. This happens every goshdarn home game and we have a coach who is too nice and never berates them.
And the goal we scored they overturned after reviewing it for three goddam minutes
this crap/ with all due respect

Reaction Score
It didn’t go UConn’s way tonight, but still a fun game. UConn did some good things. They need to shake that one off and try again tomorrow. Keep grinding boys!! We’re back at it tomorrow.

Reaction Score
This seems to happen a lot at some point it’s more than bad luck.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
Was that even a penalty? Looked like shoulder to shoulder and I didn't see the elbow come up.
Were not in Sweden, they had to call something after they incorrectly called it a major

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This team is so frustrating. The continued pattern under Cav. We are mediocre, at best. I do agree we seem to get the wrong end of the whistle but we never overcome adversity. Who is surprised we gave up immediate game tying goal after that call?

The SH goal was inexcusable. Love Bradley but that was on him for not going hard and assuming the kid would be happy the puck was just in our zone. As soon as that happened I knew we were in deep trouble.

I think we should move on from Cav. The pattern is the same. Its not going to change. It feels like everyone involved is fine being middle of pack at best and it sucks.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Were not in Sweden, they had to call something after they incorrectly called it a major

Had same thought - the week after that (beautiful, clean, but savage) hit in the WJ, our gets called a major, when it was 1/2 step less than every aspect of that hit.

We get hosed constantly by the same refs. It's gotten past ridiculous.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
They have the gall to see if the elbowing call that decided that turned the game for all intents and purposes was a 5 minute.
And then these god damn weaseks upon seeing the review realize it wasn't elbowing and actually a clean hit. And of course Maine goes on to score.
then. them all. This happens every goshdarn home game and we have a coach who is too nice and never berates them.
And the goal we scored they overturned after reviewing it for three goddam minutes
this crap/ with all due respect
Excellent fermented rant.

Every 40/60 call goes against us. Goaltender interference there was a massive stretch.

Reaction Score
This feels like the early days of UConn basketball in the BE. In those days they did get shafted by the officials, the most frustrating thing is Cav feels like the Dom Perno of this program, will always be mid.

Need to hire a HC who is a proven winner at a smaller program as a HC, meaning he gets to the NCAA tournament consistently, essentially hiring the Jim Calhoun of this program.

Reaction Score
That was a wildly entertaining game. UConn came out quicker and took fast advantage. Goaltending was formidable. Once Maine found their feet their talent and finally depth took over. Refs not perfect but not the reason we lost. We made a mistake in rebound coverage on one goal and lost the game on the shorthanded giveaway which permanently slid all momentum to the Black Bear bunch. Also thought we pulled the goalie a bit too early but I'm no coach.

I counted 3 posts and lost count of the wide open misses. Maine refused to fold so credit to them but we have plenty enough to carve out a win today.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately you nailed it...

Maine's Ben Barr ($235k/yr.) coaches rings around Cavanaugh. Sadly, we've lived with this for 11 seasons. 4 or 5 years in to his tenure the signs were there that Jerry York's recruiter/assistant wasn't the guy. (Should have known - he was a Manuel hire.) But UConn persisted. To what end? He's locked in to one of the richest contracts in D-1 hockey for 4 more years. Toscano will need a cob web clearing crew between games if this keeps up!

DB must take notice!

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I think we should move on from Cav.
I've been pretty patient, but this year I've come to the same conclusion. I was hoping it was a recruiting thing and Toscano would make things better, but I'm just not seeing it. We're consistently a .500 team give or take a couple wins.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This feels like the early days of UConn basketball in the BE. In those days they did get shafted by the officials, the most frustrating thing is Cav feels like the Dom Perno of this program, will always be mid.

Need to hire a HC who is a proven winner at a smaller program as a HC, meaning he gets to the NCAA tournament consistently, essentially hiring the Jim Calhoun of this program.
Eric Lang. Until I am blue in the face. He’s the guy.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I've been pretty patient, but this year I've come to the same conclusion. I was hoping it was a recruiting thing and Toscano would make things better, but I'm just not seeing it. We're consistently a .500 team give or take a couple wins.

It’s sad because Cav is a genuinely good guy and got shafted on the arena delay thing.

But at a certain point…you are what you are. It’s a decade. This isn’t year two. The excuses don’t work anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom