UConn v. #4 Boston College (Fri. 11/17/23 @7p @Conte Forum & Sat. 11/18/23 @7p @Toscano Family Ice Forum) Both games on ESPN+. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn v. #4 Boston College (Fri. 11/17/23 @7p @Conte Forum & Sat. 11/18/23 @7p @Toscano Family Ice Forum) Both games on ESPN+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Sorry, as frustrated as I am, I just don’t agree with this take. Maybe it’s the optimist in me, but there you have it.
Fair. It’s a free country, we can disagree.

It’s been 11 years of this. I don’t get how anyone can be an optimist anymore.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Fair. It’s a free country, we can disagree.

It’s been 11 years of this. I don’t get how anyone can be an optimist anymore.
Yup. Cav suck5. Fire him. This would not be acceptable for a hoops coach, see Kevin Ollie, and he actually won something. Enough of the apologists...

Reaction Score
Just an absolute dearth of offensive talent.

There are 3 forwards who you feel decent about scoring a goal, Wood, Bradley, and Salminen.

I like Richard but he has not scored since the third game.

Mahshie has been a no show for someone who was Cav’s only non goalie transfer. A gigantic miss in the portal.

For a roster to lose Tverberg and Pearson and never replace them and to miss so badly on Mahshie is such an indictment on the staff.

The rest of the forwards are so limited offensively.

I want this program to take the next step so badly but it just cannot with Cavanaugh in charge. Since joining Hockey East play Cav has had 2 winning seasons. 2!!!!!

Joe Pereira was the entire coaching staff.

This season all the pre season talk coming from the program was NCAA bid. They put it on themselves.

Through 8 Hockey East games UConn has 9 points out of a possible 24

Reaction Score
No one has talked about the embellishment call yet?
I am sick and I’m tired of making the long drive up to Toscano compared to XL only to see a loss every single goddam time and to see us constantly get bent over by the officials time and time again.
And can Cavanaugh please lose his shzt during the game instead of thanking the officials after every goddam game?

Reaction Score
What is the record up there? It’s frightening how terrible it is. I guess the good news is place is soooo small there are so few people like Viking, Vietvet etc that have had to endure the drive and the defeats.

The play was better but results are still short.

Reaction Score
The embellishment call was egregious. BC didn’t need any extra help last night and yet there it was. A zebra lifeline.
No guarantee that we would have tied it, but come on. That was pathetic.
the team played their guts out last night. They deserved better.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Jon Stewart Queue GIF

Reaction Score
The embellishment call was egregious. BC didn’t need any extra help last night and yet there it was. A zebra lifeline.
No guarantee that we would have tied it, but come on. That was pathetic.
the team played their guts out last night. They deserved better.
How can you call embellishment when there is a penalty? If you are trying to get a call, sure. But when there is an actual penalty? Awful call.

I don’t know what this team is going to do. I’ve never seen a team that just can’t score goals. Doesn’t matter how well you play, if you can’t score you aren’t winning. They played BC even last night, maybe out played them. But you almost sense they can’t put it in the net. And I’d trade Wood for any of BC’s forwards and throw in a backup goalie. He is big but too slow and he needs someone to set him up.

Reaction Score
I have never understood the embellishment penalty. It is never called just as it’s own penalty. It always includes a penalty by the opposing team.

Wood’s lack of speed has been noticeable. He looks stronger but is skating at the same speed as last season. Definitely not close to being a pro yet but he is still 18.

Toscano record: 4-5-0 including the playoff loss to Lowell

Reaction Score
I’ve never seen a game at Toscano, but having watched a few games being played there now, I gotta say that all of the comments I’ve read here regarding the atmosphere and feel, are valid. I found it a little bit depressing to be honest. I know students being away and some other things certainly play a part, but overall I can see where some of you arrive at that opinion. I do think it will improve but it might take a few seasons and some tweaks. Win.

Reaction Score
UConn is not going to be able to get the players BC or BU get. BC and BU get the crème of the crop of hockey talent in Hockey East. Always have, always will. BC and BU both got really good hauls this year. The good thing is most will move on after this year. UConn needs to develope the 2nd tier guys that are going to stay for 4 years. UConn will be okay. They will win their share of games.
This just one of those years where BC and BU are loaded with NHL level freshmen. That won’t happen every year as evidenced by last year.

Our freshmen will develop and get better, it just might take a couple of years. Be patient.
Not a hockey guy, why can't we get those players that BC BU get? We just spent 90(?) mil on a new facility.

Reaction Score
Not a hockey guy, why can't we get those players that BC BU get? We just spent 90(?) mil on a new facility.
BC and BU always get the top players. Both schools have the history as being the top 2 teams in Hockey East. It’s kind of like UConn in the Big East in BB. The top players want to go to the teams with the history and winning pedigree. In Hockey East the pecking order is BC/Bu, Then Providence Northeastern, ULowell, and UNH, followed by The rest.

Reaction Score
In today’s environment it is all about money. According to Mike McMahon, it’s costing programs $100,000+ per player to get those types of guys and UConn is not going to do that.

Plus UConn has no extremely limited history of producing NHL talent, has won nothing but a 2000 MAAC championship , and one of a handful of programs to never get a NCAA bid.

It does not help when the head coach keeps stating he is anti collectives. I do not understand how Cav keeps saying he is against collectives yet the D’Amelio collective includes Wood and Schandor.

Reaction Score
Frustrating weekend. We were not outplayed in either game and stretches in both of outplaying a top 5 team in the country loaded with NHL talent.
Offense is struggling but also we are snakebit. Two on 1 in OT on Friday and we hit the post. Great shot that missed by an inch. Last night breakway he beats the BC goalie but it hits the post and bounces out.
BC on Friday had 2 or 3 fluky goals while our 4 were all on pure shots.
The good news is I don’t recall a single game where we were clearly outplayed. There may be one, but off the top of my head no.
at some point we may get the bounces and some luck. We aren’t finishing with a first round bye in the HE playoffs but I have to believe no coach really wants to play us because on any given night we have the chance to play with anyone. Just got to finish.
And that embellishment call is still completely BS and may have cost us a chance at a point or two.
Frustrating is better than just being dominated entirely though. So I guess there’s that.

Reaction Score
I think the crowd at Toscanini is much older. At least that is my take. And honestly the band has zero idea of how to be a hockey pep band. That has always been a problem but is worse now that we are this far in. They have a basketball feel. They don’t harass the other goalies. They don’t make fun of the refs. They are, in a word, too polite.

Reaction Score
I think the crowd at Toscanini is much older. At least that is my take. And honestly the band has zero idea of how to be a hockey pep band. That has always been a problem but is worse now that we are this far in. They have a basketball feel. They don’t harass the other goalies. They don’t make fun of the refs. They are, in a word, too polite.
I agree. The fans need to take some of the blame for the atmosphere too. The crowd is older and quieter and the student section’s participation is virtually nil when compared to other schools. Look at QPac, UNH, BU, BC, or Maine’s student sections. Is there a hockey student section club? Maybe they need to create something like that.

Reaction Score
What is the record up there? It’s frightening how terrible it is. I guess the good news is place is soooo small there are so few people like Viking, Vietvet etc that have had to endure the drive and the defeats.

The play was better but results are still short.
Endure the drive? Hope you are being sarcastic? Storrs is only 25 miles from Hartford.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I agree. The fans need to take some of the blame for the atmosphere too. The crowd is older and quieter and the student section’s participation is virtually nil when compared to other schools. Look at QPac, UNH, BU, BC, or Maine’s student sections. Is there a hockey student section club? Maybe they need to create something like that.
Every time I yelled last night people looked at me like I was physically assaulting them. Not one U C O N N cheer the entire night. I yelled at the refs after the embellishment call and even got the stink eye for that.

Reaction Score
Toscano is the least intimidating environment for opposing teams to come into ... even Alaska Anchorage came into the building last year with a student-only crowd and took UConn to OT

Reaction Score
Every time I yelled last night people looked at me like I was physically assaulting them. Not one U C O N N cheer the entire night. I yelled at the refs after the embellishment call and even got the stink eye for that.
Lol. I know what you mean. Listen I’m no spring chicken. But I felt like one last night in my section. Get some students in there. I went to a friggin’ Wesleyan game last year with a bigger nastier crowd.

Part of it is that I don’t think UConn students know how to be hockey fans. They just don’t.

Reaction Score
Toscano season ticketholder here.

Yes, the crowd at Toscano is much older than at other HE rinks. Why?

That’s easy to explain. The capacity is TOO SMALL to accommodate younger potential season ticket buyers who don’t have the financial resources of the older folks (me included) to make substantial “seat donations”. Just one more of several reasons why this rink sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom