"UConn Trying to Snatch $10 Million for a Phone Call with Ray Allen" | Page 5 | The Boneyard

"UConn Trying to Snatch $10 Million for a Phone Call with Ray Allen"

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I sincerely don't understand why people feel bad for him. He quit on UConn and on his players, pocketed huge paychecks while paying lip service to doing his job, and reportedly failing to exercise much self discretion or control. That's without any NCAA violations. On that alone, I certainly don't think he deserves any buyout money.

We are not talking about the guy who spent 30 years in a coal mine or on an assembly line and was screwed out of his pension on some technicality. When did a pampered, overpaid ex-jock making millions become the symbol of oppression?
There is a large emotional investment in sports for fans. It is a great escape from the daily grind. It's about youth, college and good times that hope springs eternal. College sports is also very big business. KO made a considerable amount of money as an NBA player and also as a coach. Contracts are to protect the parties for performance for the investment being made. He failed to live up to the terms of his contract and, arbitration not withstanding, his violations constitute failure to perform. If he had personal problems it is on him (and anyone else in that position) to get help. The sorrow I feel for KO is that he apparently did not seek the help he needed. I don't know this for a fact and perhaps this is only speculation but that is the way I see it. It is a lesson perhaps to all that it is OK to say "I need help".

Reaction Score
That all may be true.

But he absolutely will land somewhere when all is said and done.

cLOL82 has him blackballed from basketball for life. For fighting for the same money you or I would fight for if put in the same circumstances.

All the things you said above are true in my opinion in you evaluating his performance. But what does that have to do with fighting for a buyout?

I’ll answer it.

Absolutely nothing.

This trumps all that:

Ollie’s contract also states that he can be fired for “just cause.” Just cause, in this case, can include any violation by Ollie of any “law, rule, regulation, policy, bylaw, or official interpretation of the University, the Conference or the NCAA.”

You cant really believe something doesnt stick given that incredibly broad definition of "cause".

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Stop trying to undermine his posts. He doesn't like it.

Remember when you were so thoughtful and wise?

All I had to do was undress you once and you’ve been reduced to third rate attempts at trolling.

Stick to soup.

Reaction Score
Everybody has gotta work reeeeaaaally hard to focus on the only issue that matters:

What the contract says. It uses very broad language that allows for Ollie's termination for even the smallest of rules violations. Ollie's lawyer advised him to sign it. If the contract says, "yeah, even a phone call to Ray Ray constitutes "just cause", " then Ollie should get what is coming to him, which is zero.

Is that "right"? Who cares? That's the wrong question presented by somebody who has lost focus or never had it.

No matter what emotional, irrational headline some scrub at a click bait internet cyberag cobbles together, all that matters is this:

Ollie had counsel. Ollie signed the contract. The contract governs.
If Ollie doesn't like that, he can google, "legal malpractice attorney connecticut."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Everybody has gotta work reeeeaaaally hard to focus on the only issue that matters:

What the contract says. It uses very broad language that allows for Ollie's termination for even the smallest of rules violations. Ollie's lawyer advised him to sign it. If the contract says, "yeah, even a phone call to Ray Ray constitutes "just cause", " then Ollie should get what is coming to him, which is zero.

Is that "right"? Who cares? That's the wrong question presented by somebody who has lost focus or never had it.

No matter what emotional, irrational headline some scrub at a click bait internet cyberag cobbles together, all that matters is this:

Ollie had counsel. Ollie signed the contract. The contract governs.
If Ollie doesn't like that, he can google, "legal malpractice attorney connecticut."

I love when lawyers try to apply their standards to the real world.

OJ Simpson was cool in 1998. All that matters was the jury decision. Is that ‘right’? Who cares!

Yeah we get that lawyers and courts decide who gets how much money. Lawyers and courts don’t decide how much respect you lose for people when they enlist a rat against the institution they represent to further their own interests.

Reaction Score
The question is,
Does the $10 million that you may still have to pay Ollie worth the stain and possible downward spiral of the program?

A downward spiral. How much lower can we go?

Reaction Score
@CL82, I beg the differ. This is going to get uglier and uglier for UConn. This negative publicity will kill UConn basketball. We were at a very fragile stage before this. Who knows what is going to come out next about Coach Calhoun and Geno. What infractions and violations did they commit and what were the consequences? I hate to see what is happening but the truth is Ollie has nothing to loose and his statement today indicates that. I pray before I die I get to see UConn dominate again. Settle with Ollie, fire Herbst and Benedict, settle with Miller and let's get the season going.

Settle with Miller for what? I hope the women’s field hockey team will is safe.

Reaction Score
I

I don't see this killing Uconn basketball. Most people, except the boneyard and some people in CT, will loose interest. Recruits don't care about any of this.
Certainly wouldn't want to loose interest.

Reaction Score
@CL82, I beg the differ. This is going to get uglier and uglier for UConn. This negative publicity will kill UConn basketball. We were at a very fragile stage before this. Who knows what is going to come out next about Coach Calhoun and Geno. What infractions and violations did they commit and what were the consequences? I hate to see what is happening but the truth is Ollie has nothing to loose and his statement today indicates that. I pray before I die I get to see UConn dominate again. Settle with Ollie, fire Herbst and Benedict, settle with Miller and let's get the season going.

Your insane. Go away. KO deserves nothing. No one will care about any of this a year from now. Especially after Hurley makes NCCAs.

Sorry had to edit to add.......with essentially the same players.

Reaction Score
I like KO, but the man has been living a reckless life the last few years - it’s not even a borderline call. I have no idea what the man’s been thinking? Is it really bad decisions? Is it he doesn’t care? Did his ego inflate and then deflate at times? Is he in total denial?
I don’t know?
On the other hand we do know who Glen Miller is - he’s more than confirmed all my worse suspicions.
I’m no doctor, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Kevin is clinically depressed.

Reaction Score
So what you have here is a bunch of pissant violations that no one really cares about - except to use as a lever to fire KO for cause because he can't be fired for losing. Any old port in a storm, I guess. Especially when $10 million is at stake. Sure it may not be ethical or right or a bunch of other similar words that lawyers haven't been able to grasp since leaving law school. But it sure is effective.

Just be consistent. The next time you want to complain about FSU or BC or Louisville or Rutgers or the ACC or ESPN or any other conspirator you want to blame for UCONNs predicament, you just stop yourself and remember that it's all just business.

Reaction Score
The question is,
Does the $10 million that you may still have to pay Ollie worth the stain and possible downward spiral of the program?
Yes. And you and Kathy can go away any time. Really. Leave. And never come back. And take the rest of the Ollie clan with you.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Remember when you were so thoughtful and wise?

All I had to do was undress you once and you’ve been reduced to third rate attempts at trolling.

Stick to soup.
I love when you quote me.

You complained about a heckler "undermining" you, moved into explaining your joke, defended a misspelled attempt at Francesa's New Yawk accent, snagged kudos from someone who I once disputed as "Best Poster" to greater acclaim, declared yourself winner ("No, Hans, I am), and now refer to undressing me while fetching nearly every bone I've tossed ever since.

Good boy.

Is this where you'd like me to say, "Ouch," so I don't upset you?.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I love when you quote me.

You complained about a heckler "undermining" you, moved into explaining your joke, defended a misspelled attempt at Francesa's New Yawk accent, snagged kudos from someone who I once disputed as "GBest Poster" to greater acclaim, declared yourself winner ("No, Hans, I am), and now refer to undressing me while fetching nearly every bone I've tossed ever since.

Good boy.

Ouch.

Is this where you tell us how you have to go tend to your garden, try to take your ball and go home but then post 10 more times after that?

As bad as you are at dime store pyschiatry, you are way worse at trolling. Oh and only passive aggressive don’t quote people. I know that’s beyond your grasp - consider it free advice.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So what you have here is a bunch of pissant violations that no one really cares about - except to use as a lever to fire KO for cause because he can't be fired for losing.

I have a buddy that got fired for one (1) pissant violation. His real crime was his wife getting cancer. Ollie has a bunch? Gone.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This trumps all that:

Ollie’s contract also states that he can be fired for “just cause.” Just cause, in this case, can include any violation by Ollie of any “law, rule, regulation, policy, bylaw, or official interpretation of the University, the Conference or the NCAA.”

You cant really believe something doesnt stick given that incredibly broad definition of "cause".
Where did I say just cause wasn't met?

Reaction Score
Then you are not for a settlement. Right?
No, actually I have always been in favor of a compromise settlement. I think people who understand litigation get the fact that it is expensive, time consuming and distracting. Pay Ollie something like 3M and move on, thats my hunch. There is value to the case being closed on a number of levels, despite the relative strength of the University's position.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
No, actually I have always been in favor of a compromise settlement. I think people who understand litigation get the fact that it is expensive, time consuming and distracting. Pay Ollie something lime 3M and move on, thats my hunch.

Wouldn't doing that mean UConn is admitting they don't have enough confidence in their application of cause?

Reaction Score
He will need to make a lot of lifestyle changes and tough choices before that happens. I do not think that will be a quick process.
@Stainmaster If the alleged lifestyle issues you portray albeit sans any supporting details are accurate, the departed may not be the first person to hit a wall, bottom out, etc. before potentially getting his ka-ka together. Or, not. Ideally, the latter proves not to be the case.

Reaction Score
KO is an entitled wise guy. The fair man settles this and walks away knowing he failed but did the right thing.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
@Stainmaster If the alleged lifestyle issues you portray albeit sans any supporting details are accurate, the departed may not be the first person to hit a wall, bottom out, etc. before potentially getting his ka-ka together. Or, not. Ideally, the latter proves not to be the case.

One would think that preserving his job at his alma mater, a blue-blood college basketball program whom he coached to a national championship while defeating multiple HoF-caliber coaches along the way, would've given him enough motivation to turn things around. Evidently it wasn't. That leaves me feeling very pessimistic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom