"UConn Trying to Snatch $10 Million for a Phone Call with Ray Allen" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"UConn Trying to Snatch $10 Million for a Phone Call with Ray Allen"

Reaction Score
Let's ignore all the other stuff and just focus on the phone call. Fair argument there.

This would be a fair argument if the NCAA conducted the investigation independently without any tip-off from people within the program. Since it appears this was not the case, we can only be led to believe that the school is attempting to extort him over things that have been normalized at every other program.

I've never found the NCAA even a little credible - the fact that they've dropped the hammer on UMass, Memphis, and Louisville while letting other schools skate is evidence enough that they're corrupt.

But at least in the past there has been a sliver of logic. You could say "school x may have got busted for illegal phone calls, but it was probably only the tip of the iceberg if it prompted the NCAA to intervene."

That doesn't apply anymore, not only because UConn has a vested interest in exposing any conceivable violations, but also because Ollie was fired due in large part to his inability to recruit. You can't fire somebody for not cheating well enough and then fire him for cause because he cheated. You have to at the very least pick one if you want to avoid being labeled an incomparable hypocrite.

Reaction Score
Hey welcome back.

As time go on this gets uglier and uglier for KO. The legal team's attempt to smear two HOF coaches has not played well at UConn or with many alumni, who previously support Kevin. He would have been wise to walk away for a modest settlement. Everyday that drags on he looks worse.
@CL82, I beg the differ. This is going to get uglier and uglier for UConn. This negative publicity will kill UConn basketball. We were at a very fragile stage before this. Who knows what is going to come out next about Coach Calhoun and Geno. What infractions and violations did they commit and what were the consequences? I hate to see what is happening but the truth is Ollie has nothing to loose and his statement today indicates that. I pray before I die I get to see UConn dominate again. Settle with Ollie, fire Herbst and Benedict, settle with Miller and let's get the season going.

Reaction Score
I
@CL82, I beg the differ. This is going to get uglier and uglier for UConn. This negative publicity will kill UConn basketball. We were at a very fragile stage before this. Who knows what is going to come out next about Coach Calhoun and Geno. What infractions and violations did they commit and what were the consequences? I hate to see what is happening but the truth is Ollie has nothing to loose and his statement today indicates that. I pray before I die I get to see UConn dominate again. Settle with Ollie, fire Herbst and Benedict, settle with Miller and let's get the season going.
I don't see this killing Uconn basketball. Most people, except the boneyard and some people in CT, will loose interest. Recruits don't care about any of this.

Reaction Score
Said in another thread. This will go away in two days. I compare this to when Edsall yanked a scholarship from one of Diaco's recruits. There were columns in NJ saying schools shouldn't send kids to UConn, Edsall was ripped on ESPN and all the other outlets -- but life went on....and no one probably remembers the story (Outside of us who follow the day to day activities).

Reaction Score
This would be a fair argument if the NCAA conducted the investigation independently without any tip-off from people within the program. Since it appears this was not the case, we can only be led to believe that the school is attempting to extort him over things that have been normalized at every other program.

I've never found the NCAA even a little credible - the fact that they've dropped the hammer on UMass, Memphis, and Louisville while letting other schools skate is evidence enough that they're corrupt.

But at least in the past there has been a sliver of logic. You could say "school x may have got busted for illegal phone calls, but it was probably only the tip of the iceberg if it prompted the NCAA to intervene."

That doesn't apply anymore, not only because UConn has a vested interest in exposing any conceivable violations, but also because Ollie was fired due in large part to his inability to recruit. You can't fire somebody for not cheating well enough and then fire him for cause because he cheated. You have to at the very least pick one if you want to avoid being labeled an incomparable hypocrite.

This whole thread has drifted way off base. Ollie was fired because he lost his players, they became an unmotivated, disorganized mess. Remember all the players we lost after 2017? How about all the rumors on here about all we might lose after last season? Somewhere he lost himself and the team.
Enough. Lets move on.

Reaction Score
shrug.The article implies UConn is just being cheap. All of this sucks, but the fact is the school doesn't have the money to spare just for the sake of amicability. what does the contract say? if any sort of broad violation would void the contract, then UConn needs to exploit that, no matter how petty it looks.

I feel bad for Ollie. What's happening here is plainly transparent. We are having our cake and eating it too.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

A thousand times worse things happen and reported upon at MCBB and CFB programs nationwide. All the time. It doesn't kill them off. Maybe some opposing fans come up with some chants. Big deal. The only thing that's going to matter is how UCONN plays on the court. That will shape the narrative.

People, by and large, just don't care. Put a product on the court; that's all they care about.

It won't affect Hurley. Kids are going to come if they like or not if they don't.

It's not like things like the 30k rumor will result in sanctions, because the NCAA can't come up with any evidence. Glen has no actual info. Kids mothers from prior years aren't talking, and the NCAA has no authority to get them to divulge information.

And what do JC and Geno have to do with this? You act like the NCAA is going over those guys full careers or something. They're not.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Said in another thread. This will go away in two days. I compare this to when Edsall yanked a scholarship from one of Diaco's recruits. There were columns in NJ saying schools shouldn't send kids to UConn, Edsall was ripped on ESPN and all the other outlets -- but life went on....and no one probably remembers the story (Outside of us who follow the day to day activities).

I'm saying this as someone who thinks the secondary violations should be enough to void the entire $10MM -- I don't think it will go away anytime soon, for a couple of reasons.

1. UConn MBB is a much higher profile program than UConn FB, and KO has a much higher profile than Edsall.
  2. Sports media contains a significant number of personalities and executives who harbor a personal distaste for UConn baskeball. There are plenty of Cuse grads out there in powerful positions who would take great joy in dragging this story out and spinning it so that it causes UConn maximum harm. This is a phenomenon that just doesn't exist with UConn football; nobody in the national media really cares about them that much either way. We saw this happen with the APR nonsense, and I have no reason to believe it can't happen again.

TJT

Reaction Score
Hey welcome back.

As time go on this gets uglier and uglier for KO. The legal team's attempt to smear two HOF coaches has not played well at UConn or with many alumni, who previously support Kevin. He would have been wise to walk away for a modest settlement. Everyday that drags on he looks worse.

Actually think you have it backwards. Every day this drags on makes UConn look worse.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

Except this is going to court. Unless they reach an agreement this will go on a while

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
shrug.The article implies UConn is just being cheap. All of this sucks, but the fact is the school doesn't have the money to spare just for the sake of amicability. what does the contract say? if any sort of broad violation would void the contract, then UConn needs to exploit that, no matter how petty it looks.

I feel bad for Ollie. What's happening here is plainly transparent. We are having our cake and eating it too.

I sincerely don't understand why people feel bad for him. He quit on UConn and on his players, pocketed huge paychecks while paying lip service to doing his job, and reportedly failing to exercise much self discretion or control. That's without any NCAA violations. On that alone, I certainly don't think he deserves any buyout money.

We are not talking about the guy who spent 30 years in a coal mine or on an assembly line and was screwed out of his pension on some technicality. When did a pampered, overpaid ex-jock making millions become the symbol of oppression?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I sincerely don't understand why people feel bad for him. He quit on UConn and on his players, pocketed huge paychecks while paying lip service to doing his job, and reportedly failing to exercise much self discretion or control. That's without any NCAA violations. On that alone, I certainly don't think he deserves any buyout money.

We are not talking about the guy who spent 30 years in a coal mine or on an assembly line and was screwed out of his pension on some technicality. When did a pampered, overpaid ex-jock making millions become the symbol of oppression?

He signed a contract and he expected UConn to honor it. He clearly made a bad decision there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom