UConn-Texas Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn-Texas Game Thread

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This is a great game and Texas is really up for it. I think too many of us are spoiled that UConn has a huge target on their back in EVERY GAME. TEAMS AND FANS are pumped to take down the big dog. Besides this IS THE TEXAS TEAM most expected to see the whole year. Could Tex play better in the 2nd half, prob not- can UConn play better in 5e 2nd half???

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Interesting breakdown by the in studio analysts. They made it seem as if UConn was losing at the half by 10. In reality once UConn got the feel for Texas' speed and athleticism they outscored Texas. Nothing was mentioned in studio about how well offensively Crystal and Lou are playing which kept them in the game and got them the lead. Z was mentioned as the important offense factor in the first half although Geno removed her because she didn't stand in there when Texas was scoring inside. Glad to see Pheese at least got a garbage basket before the half ended.
Yeah UConn actually shot 50%. No one care about that though because UConn being good isn't really a story. I'm actually fine with that. Talk about Texas cause we don't need the press, they do because no one watches LHN. This is prime time... let them shine while they can.

Reaction Score
Though I believe UCONN will out last Texas with stamina this game just shows UCONNs weakness in the paint. This is not new to Geno but he knows speed can out perform height (most of the time)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Texas has been playing better team ball and taking better shots. Their guards played great in the 1st half. UConn offense and defense has been scrambling for most of the 1st half, but because of runs at the end of the 1st and 2nd quarter UConn has a 1 point lead at the half.

UConn has to play better in the 2nd half if they want to win this game. I would like to see Stevens get more minutes with instructions from Geno to get in the low post and we'll get you the ball. She's got great low post moves and could score easy baskets. Napheesa not getting or making shots in the low post. Don't know how Kia and Crystal can get a handle on the Texas guards, they're quick and playing great.

Go UConn........

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What year was it we crushed them by 50 in the NCAAs? I’m wondering if the UT senior class was on that squad
Yes. 3 tournaments ago

Reaction Score
UConn has gotten a combined 5 pts and 7 tos out of Williams and Collier. That has to get better for UConn to win this game.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I believe a couple of the Texas starters were in foul trouble and on the bench for most of the 2nd quarter. Hope they cooled off on the bench. (Ariel Atkins was one I think. )

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Interesting breakdown by the in studio analysts. They made it seem as if UConn was losing at the half by 10. In reality once UConn got the feel for Texas' speed and athleticism they outscored Texas. Nothing was mentioned in studio about how well offensively Crystal and Lou are playing which kept them in the game and got them the lead. Z was mentioned as the important offense factor in the first half although Geno removed her because she didn't stand in there when Texas was scoring inside. Glad to see Pheese at least got a garbage basket before the half ended.
They don’t want to lose viewers

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Texas looked winded at the end of the half. As if the adrenaline wore off. I'm looking for UConn to hold it close for most of the period and take the lead for good at the end of the 3rd, beginning of the 4th.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We haven't stolen ss*** yet.

Need to come out after halftime and punch them in the mouth. If we can build a 6-8 point lead by the under-5 timeout, we'll be in good shape.

I will repeat - I was referring to the end of the half.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
KLS and Dangerfield have been stellar. Nurse is working her butt off too but hasn’t gotten involved offensively besides transition. Bad half for Collier and Williams...several turnovers and bad plays.

Texas is getting wide open looks when the players are getting in the lane and the ball movement is there. A couple of missed layups and bad shot selection during a stretch in the 2nd may come back to bite them. Atkins makes a huge difference when she’s on the court since she’s so athletic and can score and get others involved. She needs to be on the court for Texas to stay in this.

Reaction Score
This is one of those games where Gabby not having confidence in the elbow jumper is hampering us
How can you have confidence in something that you haven't fully developed? I don't blame her. That shot is not consistent for her so she hesitates. And 90% of the time she misses it's straight but too strong (hits back rim). Her elevation is there but flick of the wrist isn't proportional to height of release.

Reaction Score
If I were Geno I'd give Pheesa and Gabby about to the first timeout to figure it out. If they don't Z needs to come in. We cannot wait until the 4th QTR to bring Z in. I've given up hope of seeing Meg. Apparently she can't do any better than Phessa did in that 1st half.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
We’ll see what Z can bring to the table in the 2nd half. With Geno noting our troubles on the board, and with their length, we need a strong outing from her.

If we get that I think we secure the win. If we get another so-so half from Z (she had some good moments to be sure) it could be anybody’s ball game—

— unless Gabby adjusts on our offensive end and starts to hurt them. But that’s a wild card.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Z out for the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
This is where KLS is different. Scoring when cuts and wide open looks are not there. She needs to get to the line, Kia is doing good there. Z is needed to be out there to rebound and to protect the paint, and stop shooting 3s (this is not the game for her to practice.)

Gabby is doing okay but the turnovers can hurt in a game like this. Hope she settles down on offense but keeping the intensity on D and rebounding.

Crystal has looked good except a couple plays. Love the intensity from her too!

Reaction Score
If I were Geno I'd give Pheesa and Gabby about to the first timeout to figure it out. If they don't Z needs to come in. We cannot wait until the 4th QTR to bring Z in. I've given up hope of seeing Meg. Apparently she can't do any better than Phessa did in that 1st half.

Your wish is Geno's command: Z starts, Collier on the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom