UConn Still In The Market For A Quarterback | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Still In The Market For A Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Wonder what happened with JUCO Jake Hubenak. Don't think he signed anywhere.
No offer yet that I can see. Maybe he's not a BD RKG, but at least we're on his list. I doubt San Diego State is an option now either with fellow Texan Ryan Agnew committing there last week. Sounds like he wants to play in TX and may be waiting to see how the chips fall at UT or TAMU. Hopefully our yet-to-be-named OC will cause kids like this to take a second look at UConn. .

http://texas.scout.com/story/1471823-juco-qb-jake-hubenak-putting-up-absurb-stats
    • 1_3211980.JPG
    • Jake Hubenak Blinn College (Brenham, TX) PRO 6-3/195
  • Uncommitted

School-Interest
Level-Offer
San Diego State Cool-Offered 12/10/14
Connecticut Cool -
Georgia Cool -
Houston Cool -
North Texas Cool -
Texas A&M Cool -
Texas-San Antonio Cool -
Prairie View A&M None

Reaction Score
I won't be too surprised if the frosh starts next year. Most teams don't go that route but rebuilding teams do more than most. Boyle has had 2 chances to take the job. Both were handed to him. He didn't do anything with them. If the kid from NC State can get us through next year with competent play I'm fine with that. We need a JUCO just for depth though.

Reaction Score
I would say it isn't that easy to get a juco/transfer QB when he can't speak with the O/C.

Prospect calls Bob. "Hello coach?" "Yep Bob Diaco here." "Hello coach my name is Longntall Armstrong you may have heard of me?" "Why yes I have if your that QB from West Over Shoe Prep that has gone undefeated the past two seasons!"

"Yes sir that's me." "I had to prep a couple of seasons due to grades which are now at a level that would qualify me anywhere, time to move on." "You look'n to transfer here son?" "Well the ND's Ohio St's and Michigans have left a sour taste with me and I was wondering if I might be able to get a one on one with your OC?" "Ah ah well right now we do not have one but I can tell you when we do he will be of impeccable character, a long time friend of mine and a better coach today than he was yestereday.

"Maybe you could give me some idea of what type of offense I would be asked to run?" "Well that depends son on wheather you are a command of the huddle type of QB or a redzone QB." "I'll have to take a look at some film CLICK... bzzzzzzzzzzz "SON YOU THERE SON?"

Reaction Score
I won't be too surprised if the frosh starts next year. Most teams don't go that route but rebuilding teams do more than most. Boyle has had 2 chances to take the job. Both were handed to him. He didn't do anything with them. If the kid from NC State can get us through next year with competent play I'm fine with that. We need a JUCO just for depth though.

Diaco on Tyler Davis. This kid is in early and has serious leadership abilities. I would not be surprised if he gets the nod at some point in the season. This video displays how highly Diaco thinks about Davis. The highlight reel shows Tyler's body language which screams field general. Can't wait to see this kid play. WOW!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
imho, we absolutely need to land a 5th year transfer or JUCO that are ready for the field. We absolutely cannot put a true frosh on the field this season and I see no reason to believe Boyle is the answer as a starter. That leaves the NCST transfer and who knows what that gives us. In terms of depth we're short and in terms of talent.well...

Here is a JUCO, Jake Hubenak originally who left OK state last year that UCONN has an made an offer to.

Jake Hubenak
  • Blinn College
1_3211980.JPG

Interests
SanDiego offered, UCONN,
, Georgia, Houston & LSU

Jake Hubenak JC Highlights lead nation in several categories.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4514014/highlights/181165381/v2

Below are some other JUCO qb's that may be available.

http://jcfootball.scout.com/story/1499059-still-available-juco-qbs

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
According to twitter there is another JUCO QB available that some may remember....

Reaction Score
According to twitter there is another JUCO QB available that some may remember....
UCONN would have to prove to his Father that they REALLY want him and provide a garage for his son's pick up truck.

cttxus

Reaction Score
If this certain somebody is a QB already familiar with UConn, I think I know the answer. I traded emails last June with someone on the coaching staff about him since I'm familiar with he and his family, and what happened in 2013. I received a very quick and personal response from this coach. Turns out the staff had received an inquiry from said player who said he was interested in the possibility of returning to play under the new regime, which he referred to HCBD.

The net of coach's email back to me was this statement. "To make a long story short, we have worked hard these last six months to put the disappointment of last fall (2013) behind us . . . and our mindset now is to look ahead and avoid looking into the past. We are actively recruiting another quarterback into the program (a different 1-A transfer), but he has no ties to last year’s UConn team". Turns out that was Shirreffs.

Maybe their thinking has changed over the past 8 months. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
If this certain somebody is a QB already familiar with UConn, I think I know the answer. I traded emails last June with someone on the coaching staff about him since I'm familiar with he and his family, and what happened in 2013. I received a very quick and personal response from this coach. Turns out the staff had received an inquiry from said player who said he was interested in the possibility of returning to play under the new regime, which he referred to HCBD.

The net of coach's email back to me was this statement. "To make a long story short, we have worked hard these last six months to put the disappointment of last fall (2013) behind us . . . and our mindset now is to look ahead and avoid looking into the past. We are actively recruiting another quarterback into the program (a different 1-A transfer), but he has no ties to last year’s UConn team". Turns out that was Shirreffs.

Maybe their thinking has changed over the past 8 months. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think it's better for both parties if this didn't happen.

Reaction Score
I could have missed it but where did you see that UConn has offered Hubanak?

You didn't miss it, I meant to say showed interest. According to 247 anyway, San Diego State is the only school that made an offer. For some reason I can't attache the link. Google Jake Hubenak 247 and you will see the link.

Reaction Score
You didn't miss it, I meant to say showed interest. According to 247 anyway, San Diego State is the only school that made an offer. For some reason I can't attache the link. Google Jake Hubenak 247 and you will see the link.

Got it. I've seen the recruiting site profiles... just didn't see where he was "offered"...

247 links are evil...

Reaction Score
So what kind of damn offense is Bob recruiting for? Pro style? Dual threat? Lord this is frustrating. What is it now in theory, 2 of each including PWO?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
http://jcfootball.scout.com/story/1499059-still-available-juco-qbs

Blinn QB Jake Hubenak (6-3, 200)(May)- The Oklahoma State bounceback had a huge season for the Bucs, completing 67.9% of his passes for 4,052 yards with 47 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He has an offer from San Diego State and is getting looks from Houston, Kansas and Connecticut. As a redshirt freshman, Hubenak still has three years available to play at the next level.

Is this from May 2014?
Feels like I read this one before... like weeks before signing day...

Reaction Score
FWIW, Stanford's Evan Crower is possibly transferring, and would be eligible immediately

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Is this from May 2014?
Feels like I read this one before... like weeks before signing day...
Opening the link reveals a Jan. 2015 publish date.

cttxus

Reaction Score
I really like everything I've read and seen about Jake Hubenak, except for one thing; the torn ACL his junior year in HS. If HCBD is looking for a QB who can both run and throw, he may have some reservations about the knee's durability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom