UConn Still In The Market For A Quarterback | The Boneyard

UConn Still In The Market For A Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Another "WTF, when did I miss this?" moment...

"Boyle (43 of 82, 335 yards, one touchdown, three interceptions in nine games and three starts) had health issues that hindered his play last year. Those undisclosed issues were cleaned up at the end of the season, according to Diaco. Boyle was at the Class of 2015 press conference Wednesday and he looked good."

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Another "WTF, when did I miss this?" moment...

"Boyle (43 of 82, 335 yards, one touchdown, three interceptions in nine games and three starts) had health issues that hindered his play last year. Those undisclosed issues were cleaned up at the end of the season, according to Diaco. Boyle was at the Class of 2015 press conference Wednesday and he looked good."

Lower leg injury. Remember?

Reaction Score
Another statement by Bob about needing the RKG. Ok, good strategy and one that probably works. My question and concern is: does he and more importantly UCONN, have the time to wait it out? What if things continue as they are and we always get the same "we are making progress" for the next season plus? This strategy could be the winner or the death knell. Time, what UConn has precious little of, will tell the tale. If things were on an even keel conference wise it would be doable. If there is more realignment prior to progress ..........

Reaction Score
Southern Cal will start spring practice with 11, yes 11 quarterbacks on their roster! Don't know if they are all on scholarship. Nine of them will never see the field next year but I'm sure any one of them could start for UCONN. They all must think they're the next Matt Cassel.

Reaction Score
Nine of them will never see the field next year but I'm sure any one of them could start for UCONN. They all must think they're the next Matt Cassel.
Sure, and they're 18-23 year old guys with human pheromones attracting USC west coeds' interest in Trojans' QBs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Aaron Bailey from Illinois is on the market. He was a big deal when they landed him.

Reaction Score
imho, we absolutely need to land a 5th year transfer or JUCO that are ready for the field. We absolutely cannot put a true frosh on the field this season and I see no reason to believe Boyle is the answer as a starter. That leaves the NCST transfer and who knows what that gives us. In terms of depth we're short and in terms of talent......well........

Reaction Score
uconndogs said:
imho, we absolutely need to land a 5th year transfer or JUCO that are ready for the field. We absolutely cannot put a true frosh on the field this season and I see no reason to believe Boyle is the answer as a starter. That leaves the NCST transfer and who knows what that gives us. In terms of depth we're short and in terms of talent.well...

I just don't see it happening at this point. I agree completely with your post, but I am resigned to the fact we are not getting a juco/transfer qb.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It's mentioned on the courant sports page today that they are running a story tomorrow about how we have had no luck recruiting QB's the last several years.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Part of the problem is probably the offensive style we run. Most QBs want to play in uptempo pass-heavy style offenses. The days of pro style are, sadly, coming to an end (if they haven't ended already). I also think it's tough to recruit QBs because of the weather and windy conditions inside our stadium. If a kid is choosing between FAU/FIU/UTSU and UCONN, they'll likely go to FL or TX with all things (conference affiliation) being similar.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, during Diaco's press conference, one of the reporters tweeted out that Davis and Tarbutt are most likely the ones to see the field this year...that thought is very disconcerting. If we trot out a true frosh to play QB, we're in for an even bumpier ride this season then last....not that playing Boyle leaves any happy thoughts but at least he's seen game action??

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Aaron Bailey from Illinois is on the market. He was a big deal when they landed him.

I can't believe that nobody has made a negative comment about going after 4-star QB transfers from Illinois again... :eek:

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, during Diaco's press conference, one of the reporters tweeted out that Davis and Tarbutt are most likely the ones to see the field this year...that thought is very disconcerting. If we trot out a true frosh to play QB, we're in for an even bumpier ride this season then last....not that playing Boyle leaves any happy thoughts but at least he's seen game action??

He was responding to a question specially asking if any of these recruits would see playing time. He very quickly said it shouldn't happen as long as the conditioning coaches and players are doing their part. Freshman shouldn't be able to compete. He then lifted up that (as you said) Davis and Tarbutt are the closest. Tarbutt b/c kickers are different and Davis b/c he's already on campus, which gives him an advantage over other freshmen. My take in watching the presser, though, was that it was HIGHLY UNLIKELY that would happen. Unless Davis lights it up in camp and wins the job I dot think HCBD is even considering playing him over the other options.

Reaction Score
Wonder what happened with JUCO Jake Hubenak. Don't think he signed anywhere.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
He was responding to a question specially asking if any of these recruits would see playing time. He very quickly said it shouldn't happen as long as the conditioning coaches and players are doing their part. Freshman shouldn't be able to compete. He then lifted up that (as you said) Davis and Tarbutt are the closest. Tarbutt b/c kickers are different and Davis b/c he's already on campus, which gives him an advantage over other freshmen. My take in watching the presser, though, was that it was HIGHLY UNLIKELY that would happen. Unless Davis lights it up in camp and wins the job I dot think HCBD is even considering playing him over the other options.
Thanks...we obviously just get some pieces of info through Twitter and I'm not sure that the message was the same through the feed as it was through what you actually heard at the press conference. Thanks for clarifying! I understood why Tarbutt would get a shot at early PT but was shocked at Davis.

Reaction Score
It's mentioned on the courant sports page today that they are running a story tomorrow about how we have had no luck recruiting QB's the last several years.
Quite understandable with all the press on the obvious lack of an offensenive line the last several years. This is going to take time...

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

They should do a follow-up article on the UCONN QB's we lost the last several years.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I would say it isn't that easy to get a juco/transfer QB when he can't speak with the O/C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom