UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (KLS, Collier, Boykin, Crystal-D, Irwin, AEH, Bent) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (KLS, Collier, Boykin, Crystal-D, Irwin, AEH, Bent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only if she took some miracle drug in the last 5 months!
Go look at the USA basketball picture from mid August 2014 with Collier/KLS/Boykin/Ogunbowale before they
went to play the 3x3 format in the Youth Olympic Games in China. Collier is listed in there at 6'1 and KLS at 6'3 and
the picture somewhat matched the height difference, if anything KLS looks more than 2" taller than Collier, but to me
Collier looks like she is more physically ready to play at the next level between the 3 of them.
That pic was in the summer.
Sluconn Husky said: ↑

Incarnate Word won 63-25 Wednesday night.

In less than 3 quarters of play, Napheesa Collier scored 29 points and had 14 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 steals, and 2 blocks. She hit 13-16 FG's and 3-4 FT's.

Plus I heard she is up to 6"3" now.

Reaction Score
Regarding the photo of Coach and Marisa at Collier and Dangerfield games in Kentucky. That's a ways to travel mid-season. Why exactly is he there? Napheesa is sign, sealed, and almost delivered so I don't see how the visit pertains to her other than to say hello. Crystal has made a verbal commitment, so is Geno's trip to reinforce to Crystal that UConn still really loves her, so she won't be tempted to change her mind (if perhaps another school is stealthily still after her)? Is it legit for another school to try to influence her to change her mind at this point? Also, can a coach rescind a scholarship offer once it has been tendered to an underclassman- if evaluations of that kid are no longer appealing? From what I have seen of Crystal, I'd be shocked if Geno is having second thoughts about her abilities? No way. So why the visit.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Regarding the photo of Coach at Collier and Dangerfield games in Kentucky. That's a ways to travel mid-season. Why exactly is he there? Napheesa is sign, sealed, and almost delivered so I don't see how the visit pertains to her other than to say hello. Crystal has made a verbal commitment, so is Geno's trip to reinforce to Crystal that UConn really loves her so she won't change her mind (if perhaps another school is still after her)? Is it legit for another school to try to influence her to change her mind? Also, can a coach rescind a scholarship offer once it has been tendered to an underclassman? From what I have seen of Crystal, I'd be shocked if Geno is having second thoughts about her? No way.
Geno and the assistant coaches regularly attend high school games of players who have already committed, when their schedule allows, so I wouldn't read anything negative into this at all. I recall reading that in this case, the team left on Friday for the Cincinnati game because of weather concerns, so after practice Geno had Saturday free. It's an easy drive from Cincinnati down to Louisville to check out two future players in action.

Reaction Score
My educated guess is that it allows the coaches to check on the progress of an incoming prospect. Maybe they can give pointers or things to work on (I think that's permitted).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Thanks for the info ochoopsfan. Didn't know she played last night either.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
BlueStar report on last weekend's action:

The senior class wasn’t without strong representation as Incarnate Word (Bel-Nor, Mo.) forward and UConn signee Napheesa Collier reminded folks why she’s among the premier performers among the 2015’s. The Red Knights got two games under their belt in Louisville and all Collier did was shoot an incredible 66 percent from the floor connecting on 22 of 33 shots on her way to 19 and 29 point performances. Even more impressive is that she played limited minutes Friday with foul issues ultimately getting her fifth with the majority of the fourth period still to play. The 6-1 standout also grabbed five rebounds a game as IW notched wins over Lafayette and Mercy Academy. Collier continued to be the prototype player that makes the use of size, athleticism and perimeter skills. What sets her apart from the overabundance of prospects who think they belong on the wing with size and ballhandling is her willingness to utilize those skills from the four spot. The ability to exploit slower bigs off the drive or post up smaller wings makes her one of the most productive players on the scholastic level. Younger players should take note.

-

As long as we’re talking about juniors with national reputations we might as well mention that the premier point guard in the class was on hand as well. Blackman (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) is fortunate that Crystal Dangerfield found her game as their battle with Rogers (Toledo, Ohio) provided the Blaze all they could handle across 32 minutes. Uncharacteristically Blackman shot just 25 percent in the first half and trailed the Rams by one at the break. Ultimately it was Dangerfield’s 9 for 18 (7 of 11 second half) effort from the floor and 21 points that helped her highly regarded teammates pull out a hard fought 47 – 39 win. The 5-5 UConn verbal continues to play at a different pace than her opponents and utilizes her speed and acceleration to create both shot opportunities and sharp passes. Her range necessitates a tight close out anywhere inside halfcourt and at the same time she drives on virtually any defender like an interstate highway. Choose your poison wisely. The pull up was not its usual money shot for her but the elevation she gets on it is on par with players with considerably more size.

http://bluestarmedia.org/index.php/component/k2/item/1129-raatz-fence-osheas-classic-2015

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread but it is good support of your post. Can't tell absolutes but relative heights are show here. (If anything Boykin may be a little closer to the camera giving her a little more relative height that actual) This is the best comparative picture I've found for next year's class.

KLS_heights.jpg
Biff, there are simply not enough elements in this picture to start a proper Boneyard player height controversy from which definitive speculative conclusions can be drawn. As a reminder a proper Boneyard player height controversy must involve one or more of the following elements:
· Bria Hartley
· Multiple players in a photo with a combination of different shoe heal lengths (flats and pumps).
· One or more of the players in the photo hunched over or sitting.
· Breanna Stewards wing span as verified by multiple obsessive Doris Burke commentary. Is it 71 inches or 7’ 1”?
· Bria Hartley –self explanatory
· Conflicting measurements on the same website eg, KML shrunk 1 full inch per the official UCONN roster between her Junior and Senior years- go figure!
· The calibrated eye of a boneyard commenter eg. “She stood right next to me and I’m 5’11” she must be at least …..”
· Conflicting measurements between the ranking websites ESPN says she 6’3” and Prospects Nation says she 6’ 5”.
· Bria Hartley-No explanation required.
· A photo where it simply cannot be determined how the photographer was standing, sitting, squatting above or below.
· A span of at least two years preferably between the player’s Freshman and Junior years of high school where girls have been known to actually grow.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Biff, there are simply not enough elements in this picture to start a proper Boneyard player height controversy from which definitive speculative conclusions can be drawn. As a reminder a proper Boneyard player height controversy must involve one or more of the following elements:
· Bria Hartley
· Multiple players in a photo with a combination of different shoe heal lengths (flats and pumps).
· Breanna Stewards wing span as verified by multiple obsessive Doris Burke commentary. Is it 71 inches or 7’ 1”?
· Conflicting measurements on the same website eg, KML shrunk 1 full inch per the official UCONN roster between her Junior and Senior years- go figure!
· The calibrated eye of a boneyard commenter eg. “She stood right next to me and I’m 5’11” she must be at least …..”
· Conflicting measurements between the ranking websites ESPN says she 6’3” and Prospects Nation says she 6’ 5”.
· A photo where it simply cannot be determined how the photographer was standing, sitting, squatting above or below.
· A span of at least two years preferably between the player’s Freshman and Junior years of high school where girls have been known to actually grow.
Ah, post #3 but I see you have been reading the Boneyard for awhile! :)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Just noticed that Mater Dei plays again tonight so I am guessing the coach rested as many players as possible. Yesterdays game was a game originally scheduled for Jan 20th, the day after the team got back from the Bay area. MD had a game at a MLK one day event. So probably to avoid a game after traveling they moved the game on the 20th to yesterday.

Turns out KLS wasn't resting but instead hurt her knee early in the game. It's "suspected" to be a hyperextension. Gabby Williams played with an ACL tear so I'm no fan of guesses. Lou will apparently not play tonight.

http://www.ocvarsity.com/articles/game-77165-mater-samuelson.html

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I hope the injury is very minor. Get well, Lou!

I think the coaches check on committed recruits to measure their progress and also lend support. This is a family, after all.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Once the swelling goes down she should be ok, I was told.
If I get more updates I will let you know. There is no rush to get her back in the league games. Her team should win them without her.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
· Bria Hartley
Well done Coco, well done. Maybe I missed it, but did you happen to mention Hartley's height?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Dangerfield had 15 points and 5 rebounds in a Blackman romp Tuesday.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
16 points including 2 threes for Andra Espinoza-Hunter on Wednesday night.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
KLS listed as questionable for a big game tonight. No reason to have her play if she's not 100%.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson was held out of Thursday's game as a precaution after her knee injury on Monday.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Andra Espinoza-Hunter scored 18 points in a 63-57 win on Thursday.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A replay of a Blair Academy (Hunter) game from January 21. AEH is #2 in blue.

Starts at 7:00, ends at 1:18:00.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member