Men - UConn @ San Diego State Aztecs (Thursday 3/16/23 @9p, Friday 3/17/23 @9p, Saturday 3/18/23 @9p & Sunday 3/19/23 @4p) All times EST. Games on Mixlr | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ San Diego State Aztecs (Thursday 3/16/23 @9p, Friday 3/17/23 @9p, Saturday 3/18/23 @9p & Sunday 3/19/23 @4p) All times EST. Games on Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's fun to read these play by plays the next day, kudos to all.

I have to say, you can go to your local high school game and not see as many players picked off first base as we seem to have game after game. I mean, you can try and actively recruit guys who get picked off first base alot and not have as many as we have.
What the heck is going on?

Reaction Score
It's fun to read these play by plays the next day, kudos to all.

I have to say, you can go to your local high school game and not see as many players picked off first base as we seem to have game after game. I mean, you can try and actively recruit guys who get picked off first base alot and not have as many as we have.
What the heck is going on?
Outside of getting picked off, they have been very aggressive on the basepaths - not just w/ sb’s, but taking the extra base. As athletic a team as I have seen in a while

Reaction Score
Outside of getting picked off, they have been very aggressive on the basepaths - not just w/ sb’s, but taking the extra base. As athletic a team as I have seen in a while

Being aggressive on the base paths forces the other team to make defensive plays. In college baseball, having to make a play it is not unusual that it can turn into a misplay or an error. That is a reason for being aggressive on the bases, and also the need to put the ball in play instead of striking out.

Mistakes are a part of college baseball, and that includes base running mistakes. Still, I believe if you asked Coach Penders, he would say you benefit more from being aggressive and forcing the other team to make plays, even if you get thrown out on the bases on occasion.

Still, when it does happen, a runner thrown out on the bases does sting, whether it was a big mistake of a play or not.

Last edited:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Being aggressive on the base paths forces the other team to make defensive plays. In college baseball, having to make a play it is not unusual that it can turn into a misplay or an error. That is a reason for being aggressive on the bases, and also the need to put the ball in play instead of striking out.

Mistakes are a part of college baseball, and that includes base running mistakes. Still, I believe if you asked Coach Penders, he would say you benefit more from being aggressive and forcing the other team to make plays, even if you get thrown out on the bases on occasion.

Still, when it does happen, a runner thrown out on the bases does sting, whether it was a big mistake of a play or not.

Against a defensively sound team, I bet Penders dials it back a bit.

With SDSU, Cal Poly, FAU, Hawaii, and Ohio State all being varying degrees of awful defensively, it makes sense to be aggressive.

Reaction Score
For those inquiring minds that wanted to know, UConn has grounded into 14 DP's this year (assuming last night's game is included in the UConn baseball stats), compared to 8 by the opposition. The NCAA lists DPs as a statistical entry, but I think it's DP's turned, not hit into, since the Huskies don't see to be in there anywhere. There are also 5 other DP's, presumably Caught Stealing or thrown out on fly balls. Some other interesting YTD stats - UC batters have been hit 27 times so far (13 for the opposition); UC has out-homered the oppos 17-11, out doubled them 41-20 (!) and committed 14 errors to 27 by the other guys. Let's take Game 4 today.

Reaction Score
Let’s take this game today! Head back to the Northeast and play in the same time
Zone. I want to be in the stadium on late night Fridays. ( Not listening ole school by a radio) Lets go Smitty!

Reaction Score
I was wondering the same thing. Possible Ellisen could still get the start and go a short stint on Wednesday, but I would think he would have to come out of the game after pitching those 2 innings.

Been thinking about who might start the Wednesday midweek game. Could be Ellisen, but there are other possibilities as well. If Garrett Coe doesn't pitch today, it would not surprise me if he gets the start and go a few innings. Also, since it is a midweek game against UMass (hardly a great team), I was thinking it may be a way to get Braden Quinn going. After all, during the preseason Quinn was regarded as a possible starter possibility. We'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
Top 1st, SDSU having fielding problems again, leading to UConn having runners on the corners with 1 out following a no out Freeberger single. With 2 outs, Studley is picked off at 1B, goes down as a caught stealing. 1-0 UConn.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Strikeouts still a huge issue with this team and cost us a chance at extra runs, as well as another baserunning mistake.

Reaction Score
Top 2nd, UConn offense quickly goes down in order. 1-0 UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom