UConn Press Conference (Tuesday 9/2) Quick Hits | The Boneyard

UConn Press Conference (Tuesday 9/2) Quick Hits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
elsctpost 12:00pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco wearing a gray suit and dark tie

desmondconner 12:01pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco: We're a process organization right now. We're disappointed in results a lot of player got next layer of development." #uconnfootball

jacobscourant 12:01pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco: We're a process team. We're a process organization. Process was a success.

JoeDSports 12:02pm via Twitter Web Client
@UConnFootball HCBD: First three opponents are "partners in our dance" Quoting ex Lakers Coach

UConnFootball 12:03pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: #BYU gave us a great opportunity to get better, and we did. We are disapointed in the results and those results will change.

JoeDSports 12:03pm via Twitter Web Client
@UConnFootball HCBD: We have so much work to do within ourselves... Evaluation and concerns were spot on.

desmondconner 12:04pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco: We can't circumvent the process, how long it takes? We'll see...we have so much to do with ourselves..." #uconnfootball .

NHRJimFuller 12:04pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco said team is not at point where they are drilling down on preparing for opponents but focusing on own improvement

desmondconner 12:05pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco: "No one has ever played in our system. It's new to everyone" #uconnfootball ..

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 12:07pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco said there was a defensive error on almost every play on BYU's opening drive

NHRJimFuller 12:08pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco said two words he hates to hear from players on sidelines or in Monday meetings is "I thought."

jacobscourant 12:09pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco cites a Geno quote: "We need to fall back on our training." not the "I thought"

jacobscourant 12:10pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco: "We just need time." Specifically on defense: It was just a challenging opening game for defense.

jacobscourant 12:11pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco: Maybe a doe-eyed look at 14-0, but quickly locked in.

Reaction Score
UConnFootball 12:12pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: I was pleased with how interested and excited the players were. There was a real joy and energy on the sideline. #RiseUp

NHRJimFuller 12:13pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco said linebackers played at below average to poor level vs.BYU

JoeDSports 12:13pm via Twitter Web Client
@UConnFootball HCBD: High participation level will continue for the next two weeks. "still in preperation phase"

NHRJimFuller 12:14pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco said the wholesale substitutiion process on offense and defense will continue through next 2 weeks

(Ducking)

Reaction Score
UConnFootball 12:14pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: This is a long haul. The team will be fixed and we won't short cut and the players know that. #RiseUp

NHRJimFuller 12:15pm via TweetDeck
#UConn offensive line performed better than expected in eyes of BOb Diaco

UConnFootball 12:16pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: I think the offensive line played above the expected level. I was disappointed by the four sacks but they did a good job all in all.

MattSchonvisky 12:16pm via Twitter Web Client
"We had room to run and time to pass. O-line was more than fuctional to me. 7 played, 2 true fresh." Diaco

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So... circle your calendars for Temple, I guess.

(ducks)

Reaction Score
So the "strategy" is to view the pre-conference schedule as a chance to build the team, with the unspoken counterpoint that once we get to Tampa things will be more focused on winning individual games.

His job, his philosophy, his choice. But if he is saying what he means, we now know what UConn will look like against Boise.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
MattSchonvisky 12:26pm via Twitter Web Client
"If players screw up and get berated by me, how does that help them, be positive at all times" Diaco on sideline demeanor

UConnFootball 12:26pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: There is no reason why the coaching shouldn't be positive. Everyone is trying ... The players don't want to make negative plays.

elsctpost 12:27pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco: "I want to be positive. To have a player come off the field and get berated by me, what good does that do?"

NHRJimFuller 12:29pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco said substitution pattern including the one with the quarterbacks will change each week

desmondconner 12:30pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco on QB situation: "The plan is always in flux, said on Thursday we like to stick to it but if hot hand everyone should be like.., go."

EdDaigneault 12:31pm via TweetDeck
Diaco said he would like to add to 10 plays to the participation patterns of Arkeel Newsome and Ron Johnson.

elsctpost 12:32pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco: "I'm so proud with Kamal Abrams. He's been through an incredible amount of adversity."

MattSchonvisky 12:32pm via Twitter Web Client
"WR's as hole, probably disappointed with 4 drops, probably just hand position, those guys don't drop balls, so that was disappointing."

JoeDSports 12:33pm via Twitter Web Client
@UConnFootball HCBD: Davis rcpt total should be double digits...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Long haul- I think his approach pays dividends. They just might not be realized this season. I'm still not sure how I feel about using real games as a preseason... So, I'll wait to decide and just see how it plays out.

Reaction Score
UConnFootball 12:33pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: Junior Joseph has shown a nose for the ball and an aptitude to compete. #RiseUp

desmondconner 12:33pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco: "Vann needs a back up" at linebacker #uconnfootball

elsctpost 12:34pm via Twitter Web Client
When asked what he wanted to see from the team this week: "I want to see them improve. That's all."

desmondconner 12:36pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco on lack of pass rush ...tough against QB like #BYU's Taysom Hill.. "We're not going to have a problem with a pass rush." #UCONN

Reaction Score
Dear Warde,
Please refund my ticket payments for the 3 pre-season games. You really should make it clear next year that these games don't count. I also would like to suggest that since these are only exhibitions why not schedule Southern, Western, and Eastern? PS I know Eastern doesn't have a football team, but just think how many guys Diaco can play when there is nobody on the other side!
PPS, Stay away form Trinity by all means. They actually take their football seriously. In fact, you might want to contact Coach Devanney and ask him what that means. Stay away from Central, too. they seem to have a coach who actually tries to win games, too. How embarrassing would that be? Lose to both Central & Trinity. Yipes!

Reaction Score
Dear Warde,
Please refund my ticket payments for the 3 pre-season games. You really should make it clear next year that these games don't count. I also would like to suggest that since these are only exhibitions why not schedule Southern, Western, and Eastern? PS I know Eastern doesn't have a football team, but just think how many guys Diaco can play when there is nobody on the other side!
PPS, Stay away form Trinity by all means. They actually take their football seriously. In fact, you might want to contact Coach Devanney and ask him what that means. Stay away from Central, too. they seem to have a coach who actually tries to win games, too. How embarrassing would that be? Lose to both Central & Trinity. Yipes!

I came into this season with the same expectation that Bobby D has espoused all along thus far... to be able to see consistent improvement, every day, every game. I saw that between the 1st and 2nd halves of the BYU game, and I hope it continues in practice this week and in the SB game. With that being said, I'm actually taking the opposite of your thought here, based on the statement that we are specifically in that 1st quarter with these three games. It's defined to me now. I know what I should expect. To get better every week. Now I don't need to piss and moan about the fact I lost money on the spread last week because I got too exuberant. I'll still be cheering just as loud every 3rd down because eventually we'll get more stops through continued incremental improvement. The score may have been 35-10 last week, and maybe it was the IPAs, but I didn't feel like the score told the whole story, and I didn't hate life afterwards (a la Towson loss). I feel better about the loss now with further explanation.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who starting to get the feeling that our head coach is a clone of another New Jersey guy who go this first head job after coaching defense at a major program? the guy would try to sell ice to Eskimos?

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who starting to get the feeling that our head coach is a clone of another New Jersey guy who go this first head job after coaching defense at a major program? the guy would try to sell ice to Eskimos?

Apparently, yes, you are the only one. The question is why wouldn't that make you reexamine your position.

He's telling you that he didn't inherit a team on the verge of winning. I have no reason not to believe him given what I saw the last three years. So if you want him to pretend that all that is important to him is coaching for each game, rather than for the season, go ahead. You are entitled to your opinion. But what you're not entitled to is to take the position that his position is nuts, when in fact it's what many coaches do when they see a large rebuilding job ahead of them.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I like Diaco's energy and enthusiasm (I always have). And as a former linebacker, I think he's going to get the LB situation sorted out in short order. I also agree with his assessment that the running backs look great. Between Marriner and Newsome, we are going to really make some people sweat! And I'm not too bothered by the multiple substitutions, either.

As for my concerns about the 2-QB system and some of the gametime management? Well, we'll see how it goes. I won't be surprised if Diaco changes the 2-QB blend or some of his time management philosophies, even if he hasn't publicly said so. We're still in good shape, and we're still going 12-1...

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
So the "strategy" is to view the pre-conference schedule as a chance to build the team, with the unspoken counterpoint that once we get to Tampa things will be more focused on winning individual games.

His job, his philosophy, his choice. But if he is saying what he means, we now know what UConn will look like against Boise.
I'm hoping HCBD's statement today that "the high participation level (of personnel) will continue for the next two weeks" actually means a higher than normal amount will play but a narrowing down process will also occur as players distinguish themselves on the field. And I really hope we play to win against Boise. The expected win against Stony Brook will be nice, but it will be like eating a bread sandwich; a quick energy boost that leaves you hungry an hour later. A win against Boise, even in their current state, would be more like a nice home-cooked meal.

Reaction Score
Dear Warde,

With that theory, you should in turn give Warde a refund for your other three home game tickets because they should now be much better than expected because of the three game exhibition...

Reaction Score
With that theory, you should in turn give Warde a refund for your other three home game tickets because they should now be much better than expected because of the three game exhibition...
We can hope I guess...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I don't know. I expect the team to play better against Boise than it did BYU. At a minimum there will be two more weeks of practice and two weeks of game film for coaches to emphasize areas for improvement for each player. In football more than most sports, the film doesn't lie and players respect the film.

Reaction Score
The expected win against Stony Brook will be nice, but it will be like eating a bread sandwich; a quick energy boost that leaves you hungry an hour later. A win against Boise, even in their current state, would be more like a nice home-cooked meal.
Based on the some of the tweets, you should not have the expectation of a win -
Bob Diaco said team is not at point where they are drilling down on preparing for opponents but focusing on own improvement
Diaco: We can't circumvent the process, how long it takes? We'll see...we have so much to do with ourselves...
Diaco: "It's not about Stony Brook, it's about us."
"Very talented on offense, impressed with abilities of players, collection of RB's (Iowa/UMASS), FSU transfer TE, Maryland transfer at WR"
Diaco on Stony Brook defense: "They fly around, get after it, fun to watch, three DLs who look the part.
When asked what he wanted to see from the team this week: "I want to see them improve. That's all."

Diaco certainly knows how to set expectations after week 1. He certainly has set them low in week 2 and offers no expectation that a win is an important or even required part of the process. Since SB has better talent and a DL that looks the part, they should probably win. That and making sure the coaching is always positive to the players because they don't want to make a negative play (they just do it anyways).

Reaction Score
Based on the some of the tweets, you should not have the expectation of a win -
Bob Diaco said team is not at point where they are drilling down on preparing for opponents but focusing on own improvement
Diaco: We can't circumvent the process, how long it takes? We'll see...we have so much to do with ourselves...
Diaco: "It's not about Stony Brook, it's about us."
"Very talented on offense, impressed with abilities of players, collection of RB's (Iowa/UMASS), FSU transfer TE, Maryland transfer at WR"
Diaco on Stony Brook defense: "They fly around, get after it, fun to watch, three DLs who look the part.

Diaco certainly knows how to set expectations after week 1. He certainly has set them low in week 2 and offers no expectation that a win is an important or even required part of the process. Since SB has better talent and a DL that looks the part, they should probably win. That and making sure the coaching is always positive to the players because they don't want to make a negative play (they just do it anyways).

Quick: who is the last coach who lost a game by what they said at a Tuesday press conference? Because from the amount of your venom, there must be tons of examples that just aren't popping into my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom