UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Taking ownership is quite simple - if you have to ask....

Quite simply it's saying that the school deserves to be in a P5. Saying that the administration needs to deliver UConn to a P5. Then outlining exactly how they are going about getting us into a P5.

It is not a huge leap to say they are avoiding accountability - why else would they tell us nothing and hide from the FOIA.

Why would the AD say: If it's meant to be it's meant to be What other way in the world can that be taken other than he has no control and therefore no responsibility.

She is playing a dangerous game and her public comments are embarrassing. If they aren't in there are going to be questions - not everyone is satisfied with trust us we know what we are doing.

There are plenty of quotes from Benedict that satisfy your criteria. You don't have to look hard. Herbst said nothing until yesterday's disaster.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There are plenty of quotes from Benedict that satisfy your criteria. You don't have to look hard. Herbst said nothing until yesterday's disaster.

Nothing satisfies them except our admin's heads on a platter.

Reaction Score
I don't think she is trying to tank anything. I just think as I always have that she doesn't much care whether we are P5 G5 or have no athletics at all. It is only on her radar to the extent it needs to be but she isn't going to waste much time or energy on it. She is at heart Fr. Brooks at Holy Cross and wouldn't be sad if athletics were greatly de-emphasized. The negative impacts on Hartford and the politics won't allow it completely but if it would we would be Stony Brook or Albany.

Reaction Score
You should put your mind towards other things. You don't want to ruin your health over what is ultimately irrelevant. Just saying as a fellow human who cares.

I've only had a TV for one year in my life on my own, black and white antenna TV during my sophomore year. No TV helps a lot. It's depressing when I bother to watch it.

Thanks Butch. I have avoided news programs as much as I can. Being addicted to the Boneyard doesn't help either but I try to avoid the cesspool lately,but Facebook is almost as bad, which I use to see what my family is doing. If it gets too bad, I log off.

I am old but I still ant the right person to win the election because of my kids and grandkids. What I find interesting is two of my longtime friends, 60+ years,who both have been liberal, one has become conservative.

Reaction Score
Glad this was made its own thread, even if it's resulted in some unpleasant friendly fire in the ranks. That said, this article including the headline was poorly done, even worse than the easily-mockable "slideshow" that accompanied it. The reporter didn't have the background or knowledge to inquire about the video presentations. Confident Jacobs would have asked the question. The headline was unintentional clickbait as well that got the attention for everyone seeking any morsel of information on this process. Going to guess it was written by a similarly uninformed person.

Reaction Score
I don't think she is trying to tank anything. I just think as I always have that she doesn't much care whether we are P5 G5 or have no athletics at all. It is only on her radar to the extent it needs to be but she isn't going to waste much time or energy on it. She is at heart Fr. Brooks at Holy Cross and wouldn't be sad if athletics were greatly de-emphasized. The negative impacts on Hartford and the politics won't allow it completely but if it would we would be Stony Brook or Albany.

I don't believe this. She has many comments such as "athletics is UConn's front porch" and on Jaylen Adam's unbelievable shot in the Cincy game "brought a lot of attention to "UConn".

Reaction Score
I see what Susan Herbst words have done to some of you all ...

Imagine that you are the President of Iowa State University & you are laughing at the ridiculousness of Memphis or New Mexico or Arkansas State making public noise on Twitter or with sports radio in Dallas. You are going to make a call based on a fairly consistent reliable internal set of summary deliverables. Not SALESMANSHIP in social media or blasting over radio.

I think Susan Herbst words played differently on an audience beyond the Boneyard and targeting a level of executive offices. Meanwhile ... Tranghese and others know ESPN and Fox and SNY.
The thing is we aren't any of those schools. We actually have things to pound our chests about. Take the silent out of the public route again? If you think that's the best approach, okay go with it but to then make a statement that comes off about as tone deaf to the fan base as you can get is completely irresponsible.

Reaction Score
Also to those who give the ole geography excuse and say its out of the admins hands, would you be crowning them if we got in?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just because you keep repeating this doesn't make it any more true. We get it, you hate her.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Again this post pretty much says there is nothing that can be done.

She can't be held accountable for anything - she can't do anything.
That is not it. We are presenting ourselves as thoroughly and positively as possible. Unfortunately ever once in a while the opportunity to select Michael Jordan is passed in favor of Sam Bowie. If enough time passes the same subject will pass on Kevin Durant and pick Greg Oden. We are providing more than enough compelling reasons to be the first school selected. If the B-12 decides to blow that pick it is at this point beyond our control. Just because you don't know the details of everything that has been done does not mean not enough has been done.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That is not it. We are presenting ourselves as thoroughly and positively as possible. Unfortunately ever once in a while the opportunity to select Michael Jordan is passed in favor of Sam Bowie. If enough time passes the same subject will pass on Kevin Durant and pick Greg Oden. We are providing more than enough compelling reasons to be the first school selected. If the B-12 decides to blow that pick it is at this point beyond our control. Just because you don't know the details of everything that has been done does not mean not enough has been done.

And since you don't know the details it doesn't mean that enough has been done.

Which is pretty much all I've really said - since they don't want any scrutiny why should I trust them?

Since their public comments are so ham-fisted why would I have faith their private work is better?

Pretty much the evidence presented here is - they told us so. Clearly some people accept that. I do not and I think it's ridiculous that people support them circumventing the FOIA. But I guess others have more faith in their government than I do.

You are all set for the talking points if UConn is left out. It's those dummies at the Big 12 fault!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
What a bunch of babies ...

I simply have no problem with what President Herbst stated publicly (while hiring widely respected LOBBYIST Mike Tranghese & that's not available through FOIL). There is ONLY one reason we aren't taken in the first two or first four: Our Location in the Northeast is far from the core of the B12. If they really believe their Value Add is the Memphis program or UCF or even Cincinnati - from a Market & Brand position - then they truly are the dysfunctional bunch of 10 Presidents. Herbst bluntly stated our case. We are the best outside the P5 cartel.

I don't disagree on why we might not be taken. And I certainly don't disagree that taking anyone but us is a worse add for that league, but to then say "they truly are the dysfunctional bunch of ten presidents. Herbst bluntly stated our case. We are the best outside the p5 cartel..."

Unfortunately, we will think they were wrong and they will think they were right with who they added, and since they're gonna be the ones cashing the big boy checks, and we will be the ones dumpster diving for quarters, it won't matter who was "right." None of being the best matters if we aren't chosen. Lesser programs will be off making literally 10x the money we make just in TV revenue alone but don't worry guys, it's cool. We are still the best. And we are still winning winners! And the best part? We will continue playing Tulsa and Tulane! And we will still be having fun doing it! What a consolation prize!

The point is, results matter. We haven't had the results yet. I don't really overly care what she says or doesn't say in regards to getting into another league because it ultimately won't matter, but I wish she would drop the charade that the fan base should be happy just to say our athletes in action. I can go watch UHart five minutes from my house for 1/10 the cost if that's all I cared about.

Reaction Score
Just because you keep repeating this doesn't make it any more true. We get it, you hate her.
Not at all. She has done many good things and has great plans for UConn. Unfortunately she is somewhat tone deaf when it comes to those outside the University administration. This is just the latest in a number of awful comments on things to the public. See her comments on massive staff raises when the budget is getting hacked and people earning 45000/year are getting axed for a similar example of this problem. And her interest in athletics is limited to mouthing platitudes that every college president must. I've heard presidents of d3 schools use the front porch metaphors too. Oh and she loves attending a good men's lacrosse game as she told Joe D. after the Louisville-ACC debacle.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

She is incurably tone deaf - you saw it with the raises to her buddies.
Texas and Oklahoma have environments where deals get done - taking that out if the mix for some Polly Anna view of the World is putting yourself at an awful disadvantage.
She doesn't appear to be innovative or nimble.

Reaction Score
This thread is a great example of how conference realignment has destroyed the morale of our fans. We're bickering with each other, biting each other's heads off for how conference realignment should be approached. When we should stay focused on the real enemies.

Those dummies at BC and Rutgers.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
And since you don't know the details it doesn't mean that enough has been done.

Which is pretty much all I've really said - since they don't want any scrutiny why should I trust them?

Since their public comments are so ham-fisted why would I have faith their private work is better?

Pretty much the evidence presented here is - they told us so. Clearly some people accept that. I do not and I think it's ridiculous that people support them circumventing the FOIA. But I guess others have more faith in their government than I do.

You are all set for the talking points if UConn is left out. It's those dummies at the Big 12 fault!
You win. If by some odd chance we do land a spot in the B-12 it will be in spite of the school's efforts, not because of them. If however we don't complete this apparent slam dunk it will be entirely because our school's leadership did nothing when one or two properly timed tweets would have done the trick.

Now it all makes sense.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not at all. She has done many good things and has great plans for UConn. Unfortunately she is somewhat tone deaf when it comes to those outside the University administration. This is just the latest in a number of awful comments on things to the public. See her comments on massive staff raises when the budget is getting hacked and people earning 45000/year are getting axed for a similar example of this problem. And her interest in athletics is limited to mouthing platitudes that every college president must. I've heard presidents of d3 schools use the front porch metaphors too. Oh and she loves attending a good men's lacrosse game as she told Joe D. after the Louisville-ACC debacle.
I don't disagree that these comments were tone deaf and I've said as much. That also doesn't make her completely stupid with regards to Athletics and what it means to success at UConn and raising the funds necessary to meet those goals. You and Chief seem to think she's too dumb to realize that. Fine.

Reaction Score
You win. If by some odd chance we do land a spot in the B-12 it will be in spite of the school's efforts, not because of them. If however we don't complete this apparent slam dunk it will be entirely because our school's leadership did nothing when one or two properly timed tweets would have done the trick.

Now it all makes sense.
I don't think either mentality makes perfect sense. Just because they've been pretty much silent doesn't mean they haven't done enough politicking, but I think a lot of people have a little too much confidence that we're "doing everything possible" to try to get ourselves a spot. How do you know that? Just because they're in charge and this is important?

They couldn't get us into the conference that made sense, and whether they should take any of the blame for that I don't know. I know they didn't take any of the blame, because ultimately all we got was the infamous "winning winners" speech. I can't recall if anyone in the media asked any difficult questions, or if we got any real answers.

Getting us into a conference that doesn't make sense geographically is a tougher task, and they've chosen to approach it pretty much the same way. I'm doing my best to trust that they are pulling out all the stops behind the scenes, but if they don't get it done I don't think they deserve the benefit of the doubt this time around. They should have to answer questions about what specifically was being done to sell the decision makers on the school, and ultimately why they believe we didn't get in.

"We're sure gonna have a ton of fun wherever we play" and "we're winning winners" speeches just aren't acceptable this time.

Reaction Score
I see what Susan Herbst words have done to some of you all ...

Imagine that you are the President of Iowa State University & you are laughing at the ridiculousness of Memphis or New Mexico or Arkansas State making public noise on Twitter or with sports radio in Dallas. You are going to make a call based on a fairly consistent reliable internal set of summary deliverables. Not SALESMANSHIP in social media or blasting over radio.

I think Susan Herbst words played differently on an audience beyond the Boneyard and targeting a level of executive offices. Meanwhile ... Tranghese and others know ESPN and Fox and SNY.
They could be laughing at the ridiculousness or saying goshdarn these fedex shipped ribs are good!!!!

We just dont know now,do we.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't think either mentality makes perfect sense. Just because they've been pretty much silent doesn't mean they haven't done enough politicking, but I think a lot of people have a little too much confidence that we're "doing everything possible" to try to get ourselves a spot. How do you know that? Just because they're in charge and this is important?

They couldn't get us into the conference that made sense, and whether they should take any of the blame for that I don't know. I know they didn't take any of the blame, because ultimately all we got was the infamous "winning winners" speech. I can't recall if anyone in the media asked any difficult questions, or if we got any real answers.

Getting us into a conference that doesn't make sense geographically is a tougher task, and they've chosen to approach it pretty much the same way. I'm doing my best to trust that they are pulling out all the stops behind the scenes, but if they don't get it done I don't think they deserve the benefit of the doubt this time around. They should have to answer questions about what specifically was being done to sell the decision makers on the school, and ultimately why they believe we didn't get in.

"We're sure gonna have a ton of fun wherever we play" and "we're winning winners" speeches just aren't acceptable this time.
They were fond of repeating the line "We have to be invited." Guess what, make it happen. The narrative that we were never getting in over UL appears to have been pieced together after-the-fact, when the administration seemed surprised by the fallout of losing out when projecting "quiet confidence" as the inevitable front-runner. Now it's gospel that they didn't fail, it was never going to happen. Which is certainly convenient when the "optics" looked so bad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Now it all makes sense.

You and Waylon should hit kareoke and sing do you want to build a strawman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom