UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So I guess we sum up this opinion as:

Can't win, don't try.

The admin should show you guys a lot of love for your support. Nothing is anyone's responsibility and no matter what the outcomes are they are the best and their approach was the best possible way to attack the issue.

Plus they are encouraged to hide from FOIA - just to make it even harder to challenge them!
Where $#& did I say we weren't trying. I still believe intelligent decision making will prevail and that in itself will be more than enough to land us in the B-12. We cannot however (regardless of any amount of public crying) influence politics in Texas or provide anything more than conjecture that our football program a decade from now will have surpassed the likes of Houston, Cincinnati et al. If the former is important enough for UT to throw their considerable weight behind Houston, one spot is already filled. If the latter doesn't provide enough confidence for ISU, KSU. T Tech et al, it will be nearly impossible to get a bid. I blame all of that on president Herbst. If only she lobbied we would be golden.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I see what Susan Herbst words have done to some of you all ...

Imagine that you are the President of Iowa State University & you are laughing at the ridiculousness of Memphis or New Mexico or Arkansas State making public noise on Twitter or with sports radio in Dallas. You are going to make a call based on a fairly consistent reliable internal set of summary deliverables. Not SALESMANSHIP in social media or blasting over radio.

I think Susan Herbst words played differently on an audience beyond the Boneyard and targeting a level of executive offices. Meanwhile ... Tranghese and others know ESPN and Fox and SNY.
I have no problem with her public actions so far. My real problem is that this is a message to the fan base, not to the presidents of the B12. And that message is: lobbying won't matter because everyone knows we are great/this is supposed to be fun, so don't be upset with any eventual outcome.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Where $#& did I say we weren't trying. I still believe intelligent decision making will prevail and that in itself will be more than enough to land us in the B-12. We cannot however (regardless of any amount of public crying) influence politics in Texas or provide anything more than conjecture that our football program a decade from now will have surpassed the likes of Houston, Cincinnati et al. If the former is important enough for UT to throw their considerable weight behind Houston, one spot is already filled. If the latter doesn't provide enough confidence for ISU, KSU. T Tech et al, it will be nearly impossible to get a bid. I blame all of that on president Herbst. If only she lobbied we would be golden.

Again this post pretty much says there is nothing that can be done.

She can't be held accountable for anything - she can't do anything.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I see what Susan Herbst words have done to some of you all ...

Imagine that you are the President of Iowa State University & you are laughing at the ridiculousness of Memphis or New Mexico or Arkansas State making public noise on Twitter or with sports radio in Dallas. You are going to make a call based on a fairly consistent reliable internal set of summary deliverables. Not SALESMANSHIP in social media or blasting over radio.

I think Susan Herbst words played differently on an audience beyond the Boneyard and targeting a level of executive offices. Meanwhile ... Tranghese and others know ESPN and Fox and SNY.

Yes the message for TV networks is... hey everyone let's keep it close to our hearts that this is fun. That's how TV networks see college sports - just a fun extracurricular hoping to make sure the athletes enjoy their social lives.

I mean come on - her message is beyond pathetic to anyone. It literally resonates with no one.

Reaction Score
Again this post pretty much says there is nothing that can be done.

She can't be held accountable for anything - she can't do anything.

I'll try to be kind and just say that you're interpreting something in the comments that isn't there.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Agree with this and wanted to add something. Robert Kraft is well aware that his efforts with regard to Hartford have hurt support for the Patriots in Connecticut. He would love the chance to host UConn football games at Gillette, I have no doubt in my mind.

OK, fine. If that's the case, what's wrong with the administration encouraging Kraft to make a public statement to that effect? It would be encouraging to the fanbase, and would demonstrate to a few B12 presidents that might be sitting on the fence regarding UCONN that we can deliver what we promise.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
A couple of things:
  1. Frustrating? Yes. But if there's ever been a time where people are getting way too worked up over frickin' semantics, this is it.
  2. Those of you several pages back who suggested that Herbst is purposely tanking our AD need intensive medication and inpatient therapy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'll try to be kind and just say that you're interpreting something in the comments that isn't there.

Point me to a public comment where she or TB takes ownership of anything around conference affiliation.

Lots of things not in those comments: Including any leadership or insight into reality.

If it's meant to be, it's meant to be: works for UConn and 15 year old girls when their boyfriend breaks up with them.

Reaction Score
A couple of things:
  1. Frustrating? Yes. But if there's ever been a time where people are getting way too worked up over frickin' semantics, this is it.
  2. Those of you several pages back who suggested that Herbst is purposely tanking our AD need intensive medication and inpatient therapy.
Is it semantics, though? Is what she said the same thing as coming out and restating what we've heard from Benedict, basically that we want to be in the Big 12 but we'll be successful wherever we are and blah blah blah

I guess it could be, but "hey folks, whatever happens, let's remember why we all like to watch sports in the first place" is a weird thing to say if there's been any positive indication that we'll get an invite. If she feels the need to temper any modest optimism we have, that's a bad sign.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day it doesn't matter if they are doing it behind closed doors or out in the public. All that matters is it gets done. And based on Herbst's attempt at trying to lower expectations it's obviously not getting done. Whatever their strategy has been its not working. And that will cost them in endowment and state support. Someone should be held responsible.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Is it semantics, though? Is what she said the same thing as coming out and restating what we've heard from Benedict, basically that we want to be in the Big 12 but we'll be successful wherever we are and blah blah blah

I guess it could be, but "hey folks, whatever happens, let's remember why we all like to watch sports in the first place" is a weird thing to say if there's been any positive indication that we'll get an invite. If she feels the need to temper any modest optimism we have, that's a bad sign.

Yes, it is semantics. You're all throwing temper tantrums over linguistics and word choice. This is not something that has any bearing on our candidacy. I mean, if you're that far gone and you've conjured up the image of Fenves and Boren sitting in their offices, reading that quote, and crossing us off of their list as a reaction, there's nothing that I or anyone else can say or do. Furthermore, part of me thinks that article was read by no more than ten people who don't post on the Boneyard.

Furthermore, for those of you complaining about us who are more in the "lack of evidence is evidence" camp, this is just as patently ridiculous, and you're just as much fools as we are. Especially with your sabotage conspiracy theories.

Reaction Score
Yes, it is semantics. You're all throwing temper tantrums over linguistics and word choice. This is not something that has any bearing on our candidacy. I mean, if you're that far gone and you've conjured up the image of Fenves and Boren sitting in their offices, reading that quote, and crossing us off of their list as a reaction, there's nothing that I or anyone else can say or do. Furthermore, part of me thinks that article was read by no more than ten people who don't post on the Boneyard.

I don't think that this article is going to cause anything, good or bad.

I'm saying her decision to finally say something to the media about the Big 12 was probably prompted by something, and based on what she said, that something probably wasn't positive.

Reaction Score

Furthermore, for those of you complaining about us who are more in the "lack of evidence is evidence" camp, this is just as patently ridiculous, and you're just as much fools as we are. Especially with your sabotage conspiracy theories.
It's not that anyone is thinking "Boren and Fenves heard this, spit out their coffee and crossed us off their list," it's that what sane person would say "sports are supposed to be fun" when the future of our athletic department potentially hangs in the balance? Either that means something negative is happening or she is just spewing nonsense. I'm hoping for the latter.

Reaction Score
As others have pointed out, she is tempering our expectations because in all probability she failed again. This winners keep winning nonsense and our fans are with us no matter what, only pissed off the fanbase. Crummy schools just keep passing us by and I'm not seeing any ownership. Her words are a slap in the face to all of us who support our teams and spend our money on UConn athletics.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
It's not that anyone is thinking "Boren and Fenves heard this, spit out their coffee and crossed us off their list," it's that what sane person would say "sports are supposed to be fun" when the future of our athletic department potentially hangs in the balance?

Granted it wasn't a smart thing to say at all. It's a gaffe. Whether it's, as you say, trying to save face due to things falling through, or just an embarrassing screwup, I'm not sure.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
As others have pointed out, she is tempering our expectations because in all probability she failed again. This winners keep winning nonsense and our fans are with us no matter what, only pissed off the fanbase. Crummy schools just keep passing us by and I'm not seeing any ownership. Her words are a slap in the face to all of us who support our teams and spend our money on UConn athletics.

Oh come on, this is pathetic. You want some tissues? A hanky perhaps?

Reaction Score
Granted it wasn't a smart thing to say at all. It's a gaffe. Whether it's, as you say, trying to save face due to things falling through, or just an embarrassing screwup, I'm not sure.

I just think she's too smart to say something like that and have it be a simple mistake.

I'm a pessimist when it comes to CR in general, but to me, this is her warning us that we better be prepared for another swing and a miss.

Reaction Score
Point me to a public comment where she or TB takes ownership of anything around conference affiliation.

Lots of things not in those comments: Including any leadership or insight into reality.

If it's meant to be, it's meant to be: works for UConn and 15 year old girls when their boyfriend breaks up with them.

Define "Taking ownership". Just about the only public comments on the subject say that they're not going to take certain actions because they will not influence the decision-making process. You've interpreted that to mean "we aren't doing anything" or, in the alternative, that she's setting herself up to avoid accountability. That's an enormous leap.

Ultimately, your position must be reflection of your belief that doing the very things that she has said we will not do would, in fact, influence the Big 12's decision.

Reaction Score

She's sounded awkward when not prepared to speak about a topic, but this looks like a prepared statement, which is a bit disturbing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Define "Taking ownership". Just about the only public comments on the subject say that they're not going to take certain actions because they will not influence the decision-making process. You've interpreted that to mean "we aren't doing anything" or, in the alternative, that she's setting herself up to avoid accountability. That's an enormous leap.

Ultimately, your position must be reflection of your belief that doing the very things that she has said we will not do would, in fact, influence the Big 12's decision.

Taking ownership is quite simple - if you have to ask....

Quite simply it's saying that the school deserves to be in a P5. Saying that the administration needs to deliver UConn to a P5. Then outlining exactly how they are going about getting us into a P5.

It is not a huge leap to say they are avoiding accountability - why else would they tell us nothing and hide from the FOIA.

Why would the AD say: If it's meant to be it's meant to be What other way in the world can that be taken other than he has no control and therefore no responsibility.

She is playing a dangerous game and her public comments are embarrassing. If they aren't in there are going to be questions - not everyone is satisfied with trust us we know what we are doing.

Reaction Score
I guess SH's idea of fun are quite different from mine. Between CR and politics I'm having a nervous breakdown.
You should put your mind towards other things. You don't want to ruin your health over what is ultimately irrelevant. Just saying as a fellow human who cares.

I've only had a TV for one year in my life on my own, black and white antenna TV during my sophomore year. No TV helps a lot. It's depressing when I bother to watch it.

Reaction Score
You know why it might be a good idea to keep things from being under FOIA? Your pitch leaks out and you misspell research while touting your research...

Joey Knight‏@TBTimes_Bulls
BREAKING: #USF has prepared promotional material, including case statement (here's 1st page) and video to Big 12.

Cp_3t-8WcAMp3_O.jpg

Reaction Score
I have no problem with her public actions so far. My real problem is that this is a message to the fan base, not to the presidents of the B12. And that message is: lobbying won't matter because everyone knows we are great/this is supposed to be fun, so don't be upset with any eventual outcome.

Again ... YOU got pissed & spread the idea that Louisville cut us out because the AD Warde Manual was NOT selling us hard; rather, he was in the Caribbean watching our WBB. (btw ... YOU ... is not necessarily TRest)

I honestly transact in Projects/Financings that are somewhat complex. I really don't think Herbst is saying what you all are interpreting. She had a good Plan (including Tranghese, Pilson, etc) and they are working it; being outlandishly Social Media friendly is not helpful. Calhoun is exactly right; we all know it. We can be a dangerous regional Brand. In Football as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom