UConn Offers Arkeel Newsome | The Boneyard

UConn Offers Arkeel Newsome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ansonia's Arkeel Newsome took top RB honors at the Friday Night Lights Northeast Combine this past Friday in Bridgeport, CT. The event is hosted by, The Program 1 (Jack Cochran), Fivestar QBs (Travis Meyer), and Rivals.com (Mike Farrell). The event featured a number of D1 recruits from CT, NY, and MA. Newsome is still waiting on his first offer, but the sophomore is an unknown no more, after rushing for 3763 yards and scoring 62 total TDs (58 rushing). At 5'8, 180 with 4.4 speed, he is considered on of the top all-purpose back in the class of 2014.

Arkeel Newsome

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Not sure what we're waiting for on offering. Lock him up early P

Reaction Score
Ansonia's Arkeel Newsome took top RB honors at the Friday Night Lights Northeast Combine this past Friday in Bridgeport, CT. The event is hosted by, The Program 1 (Jack Cochran), Fivestar QBs (Travis Meyer), and Rivals.com (Mike Farrell). The event featured a number of D1 recruits from CT, NY, and MA. Newsome is still waiting on his first offer, but the sophomore is an unknown no more, after rushing for 3763 yards and scoring 62 total TDs (58 rushing). At 5'8, 180 with 4.4 speed, he is considered on of the top all-purpose back in the class of 2014.

Arkeel Newsome
Have to say I'm a little surprised he's got 4.4 speed. He looked smooth on the tv championship game, but not blazing fast. If the ht/wt/speed numbers are real... sign him now.

Reaction Score
the Combine site has Coggins at Holy Cross. Is this an error or did he transfer?
And will he end up at UCONN?

Reaction Score
the Combine site has Coggins at Holy Cross. Is this an error or did he transfer?
And will he end up at UCONN?

I noticed that too. I believe that was an error. He is at Sacred Heart as far as I know.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
coggins is 5 or 6 deep on our wr recruiting chart i think. if we don't land the first 3 or 4 we will offer and i think he will be a husky. i think were looking for 2 wrs this recruiting class it seems like and 1 or 2 te's. he has a bc offer and he went to our spring game.

i can't say it enough that i want newsome, hes rogers/devin 2.0 no doubt. some other interesting names on that list also...

Reaction Score
dsc_0156.jpg

Reaction Score
Wow.

A 4.40 40 would have had him the fastest running back at the 2012 NFL combine.

Also, that time would have put him top 5 of the entire combine.

Or, more likely, that 40 time just ain't legitimate.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
4.40 is crazy good. if its legit that great but if not we still know hes a speed demon as hes been clocked before around 4.5. each time i have seen a 40 time he has improved over the year i think. i would be suprised if he ran a 4.4ish. the kid is only a jr now, a 4.5 even is silly fast. i think him and matos are going to keep ansonia on top in ct this year, that program has been great now for a while. hope we land him. the future of ct football is bright, more kids now then every are going to combines and getting ranked. its no accident whats going on. PP is doing a great job and so is Jack C. i know some here may not like him and some here will and i'm not trying to start a argument, but you can't ignore the rise lately here. were in good hands in the fball world. now its time to win some games and shock the world KEA style.

Reaction Score
I'm just wondering....what role can Jack Cochran play, if any at all, in reeling kids in to UConn? There has to be some NCAA rule that would prohibit him from acting as an agent for UConn.

Reaction Score
I'm just wondering....what role can Jack Cochran play, if any at all, in reeling kids in to UConn? There has to be some NCAA rule that would prohibit him from acting as an agent for UConn.

Since when has Jack Cochran been worried about "rules".

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
after no getting some hs coaching jobs, Jack C started his little program business and passing league thing. considering his fball background its easy to see why its working. with his relationship with PP and his son now in storrs, uconn football is mor eon the map now then ever in the home state.

Reaction Score
I think the rise of CT football, not only UConn but HS, and even some of the smaller colleges and universities in CT to some extent (i.e., SCSU, UNH, Trinity), is due to a number of things. First, the kids are involved in one way or another year round. The kids that have aspirations are committed to getting better by training, going to camps, and participating in combines. They are bigger, faster, and stronger coming out of HS then ever before. Size and speed, alone can earn you a scholarship. It doesn't matter where you go to school or what your statistics are, if your big and you can run, someone will notice. Statistics help, but if you stand out at a camp or combine against equal competition, what you do during the your season may be irrelevant, especially if your team's not very good or the quality of the league your in is poor (i.e., Boeing Brown). Social media has changed the recruiting game. Kids know that and everybody has a highlight video on the internet medium in order to be noticed. Coaching has evolved, especially on the HS level. Coaching HS football has become a full-time job (less the full-time salary, unless your at a national power, like Don Bosco.) at many schools and the duties extend far beyond the regular season. The opportunities to become a better coach have increased, through seminars, camps, and clinics. HS coaches have taken advantage, by forming connections with NCAA, and in some cases NFL coaches (i.e., Jack Cochran), benefits themselves and their athletes. Having kids, and coaches, from CT and CT schools on national TV has played a role. JC has done that better then anyone that I can recall. He's helped place over 60 kids in D1 schools and had 10 play in the NFL over a 16 year coaching period. He'll be able to add a HOF'er to his resume once Dwight Freeney decides to hang the cleats up. CT kids are recognizing and taking full advantage of many ,if not all, of these avenues and FBS schools are starting to notice. Hopefully, our state university will continue to as well. The future looks bright.

Reaction Score
Next year JC might want to consider scheduling his local combine for a night other than the night before most juniors were taking the SATs. Just saying.

Reaction Score
4.40 is crazy good. if its legit that great but if not we still know hes a speed demon as hes been clocked before around 4.5. each time i have seen a 40 time he has improved over the year i think. i would be suprised if he ran a 4.4ish. the kid is only a jr now, a 4.5 even is silly fast. i think him and matos are going to keep ansonia on top in ct this year, that program has been great now for a while. hope we land him. the future of ct football is bright, more kids now then every are going to combines and getting ranked. its no accident whats going on. PP is doing a great job and so is Jack C. i know some here may not like him and some here will and i'm not trying to start a argument, but you can't ignore the rise lately here. were in good hands in the fball world. now its time to win some games and shock the world KEA style.

The rise? The biggest rise lately has been your enthusiasm on the recruiting board. Please don't get me wrong -- I'm happy for it -- but the "rise" to date has been a very modest improvement in our recruiting rankings that has not yet produced anything on the field.

That is not a knock on anyone. I do think you can argue that our recruiting has inched up, and you have to give it time before you expect results on the field. But a statement that we've accomplished anything of importance to date under P is just wishful thinking at this point. It's something I fervently wish for, but it's wishful thinking nonetheless.

pj

Reaction Score
The rise? The biggest rise lately has been your enthusiasm on the recruiting board. Please don't get me wrong -- I'm happy for it -- but the "rise" to date has been a very modest improvement in our recruiting rankings that has not yet produced anything on the field.

That is not a knock on anyone. I do think you can argue that our recruiting has inched up, and you have to give it time before you expect results on the field. But a statement that we've accomplished anything of importance to date under P is just wishful thinking at this point. It's something I fervently wish for, but it's wishful thinking nonetheless.

He was talking about the rise of CT high school football. But, of course, a more enthusiastic message board would be a genuine accomplishment as well. One you're seemingly eager to suffocate under a wet blanket.

Reaction Score
He was talking about the rise of CT high school football. But, of course, a more enthusiastic message board would be a genuine accomplishment as well. One you're seemingly eager to suffocate under a wet blanket.

No. I want a truthful and accurate more enthusiastic board. Not one that's just empty words (and I'm not accusing Dan of that -- just responding to your post).

pj

Reaction Score
Agreed. Truthful, accurate, and enthusiastic. I was just responding to the inaccuracy of your assumption that Dan was talking about PP's UConn performance, and thinking that such an inaccurate comment would be more enjoyable if it were redeemed by enthusiasm. But I apologize for my wet blanket comment.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
UConn offers Newsome per Sean Patrick Bowley's twitter. UMass has also offered.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Reposted here in a new thread because the other thread was off topic and this is a pretty significant offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom