UConn - Notre Dame post game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn - Notre Dame post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
UConn obviously couldn't stop Hidalgo (tbh, not sure if anyone can)...but ND couldn't stop Edwards. Heading into the 4th quarter she had 22pts on 10-14 shooting.

And yet in the fourth quarter, Edwards scored 1pt, on 1-2 FT shooting. She had ZERO FG attempts (minus the one she got fouled on).

Did she lose steam?
Did UConn forget to find her?
Did ND change up their defense?

It was bizarre.

Reaction Score
I think the phrase "bad game" fits much better. It happens. And ND played very well coming off a loss.
I don't think that fits either. It wasn't that they just played poorly, it was that they couldn't play well against this team. The length bothered them, the speed of Hidalgo killed them, the defense that the freshmen don't play well enough created opportunities on switches for Westbeld all game long. A game like this shows all of our weaknesses, including Ice's lack of development and speed, our thin bench, our size disadvantage, and our lack of a defensive stopper. We needed Aubrey, more size and power underneath, Caroline and Azzi's scoring and the list goes on. You are what you are though so we will see but you can't have one of your starters have a game like Nika did and win. Not going to happen.

Reaction Score
This is who we are now. Parity and injuries have evened the playing field. Offensively too much dribbling and the switching on defense (help out) was abysmal. Our youth shows when we have to play from behind but I love UCONN … men and women … caution all who criticize that this team will be a tough out come tournament time. It hurt tonight but I believe we are better … much better … than we showed.

Reaction Score
You couldn't cheat the pick and fade. So you no paint help. Corner couldn't slide down because of shooter in the corner. When they did try to help Westbeld got wide open looks. I thought they should have played zone more.
Agree, a game where zone might have been an answer

Reaction Score
The South Carolina game wasn't going to be great--with out a good 6 ft 5. Peter has proved his principle once again. You go as far as the talent shall take you--a different game without Ayanna, Caroline, AZ
I didn't think it was going to be great, and I wasn't expecting a win, but I was hoping the Huskies could hang with them well enough.

If they play like they played tonight it's going to be a repeat of SC's opening blowout of ND.

Reaction Score
I've said it before, and I will say it louder after this game. I miss Azzi Fudd! Azzi is the biggest loss for this team. Defenses can key on Paige and force the ball out of her hand. This was the case the entire game. Paige had to work hard for every shot. But with a player like Azzi, the opponent has to account for her at all times which frees up the inside and creates easier opportunities for others.

Hildalgo was spectacular, and I expected her to be. (To me she's the best frosh in the country. With all due respect to Watkins and Williams) UCONN had no answer for her and no one who could guard her. On top of that, we missed a lot of bunnies in the paint and got caught with the wrong defender on the ball too often and paid for it.

I'm not upset with this loss. I don't like it. But it's not a shock to me that we lost. We have four freshmen (Ice redshirt) who play significant minutes. But none of them have played in these types of environments and on this level. Some games they will play well and others not so well. But in the end, the experience they are gaining will pay dividends. Bring on the next opponent, and Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
1. If there's any doubt that Nika is not a valuable component to this team just watch quarter two and quarter four.

2. Geno, Not understanding that the biggest force in this game was Aaliyah Edwards. We should have ran everything thru her. It's ok for the aggressive Paige fandom to take a back seat a game or two.

3. Can't play Ice and Aaliyah for long stretches. It bogs things down for the perimeter players. Q would've helped spread the court on offense and she gives a quicker defense presence in the switch everything philosophy we are using

4. Geno really doesn't get that outside of the Big East five players can and will be live options on offense. Leaving players open to shoot stand still shots has been biting him in the ass.

5. The allowance of the Notre Dame players to play to their right hand all game is mind-boggling. I hope playing in the Big East isn't making Geno lazy in thinking the challenges are the same outside of the conference. In the Big East, We can get away with just playing straight up and allowing teams to play the way they want and not get beat. But that can't be the mindset against much better teams.

6. We are just to damn small and it shows on defense. Teams Play down hill because there's just no presence of a paint presence.

7. KK please practice mid-range pull ups. You will be a force once you master it.

8. Geno gives our team a fighters chance no matter the circumstances.

Reaction Score
the Mikes Mango Mojo let us down... FIVE...count em FIVE Mikes Mangos and it wasn't enough. Now I'm buzzed with nothing to celebrate.

Still love the Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
Shade was 0 for 6 from 3 point range and that is a key part of our offense. All her missed attempts were short.
KK played OK, but forced too many shots and was ineffective on defense.
Ice & Q were non- factors.
I love our freshman. But they got little help from the Senior & tonight was a learning experience.
So you are saying she didn’t exceed her scoring average and played “like a freshman”?

Reaction Score
UConn obviously couldn't stop Hidalgo (tbh, not sure if anyone can)...but ND couldn't stop Edwards. Heading into the 4th quarter she had 22pts on 10-14 shooting.

And yet in the fourth quarter, Edwards scored 1pt, on 1-2 FT shooting. She had ZERO FG attempts (minus the one she got fouled on).

Did she lose steam?
Did UConn forget to find her?
Did ND change up their defense?

It was bizarre.

They stopped going to Edwards and I couldn't understand why. She was on fire.

Reaction Score
I've said it before, and I will say it louder after this game. I miss Azzi Fudd! Azzi is the biggest loss for this team. Defenses can key on Paige and force the ball out of her hand. This was the case the entire game. Paige had to work hard for every shot. But with a player like Azzi, the opponent has to account for her at all times which frees up the inside and creates easier opportunities for others.

Hildalgo was spectacular, and I expected her to be. (To me she's the best frosh in the country. With all due respect to Watkins and Williams) UCONN had no answer for her and no one who could guard her. On top of that, we missed a lot of bunnies in the paint and got caught with the wrong defender on the ball too often and paid for it.

I'm not upset with this loss. I don't like it. But it's not a shock to me that we lost. We have four freshmen (Ice redshirt) who play significant minutes. But none of them have played in these types of environments and on this level. Some games they will play well and others not so well. But in the end, the experience they are gaining will pay dividends. Bring on the next opponent, and Go Huskies!
Azzi disappeared against quality competition and wouldn’t have made a difference.

Reaction Score
The South Carolina game wasn't going to be great--with out a good 6 ft 5. Peter has proved his principle once again. You go as far as the talent shall take you--a different game without Ayanna, Caroline, AZ
Did you mean Aubry, Caroline, AZZI. Ayanna has had litlle or no impact at this early stage of her career

Reaction Score

Shade has provided everything Azzi provides except Shade plays better defense and is faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom