UConn - Notre Dame post game | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UConn - Notre Dame post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
THIS.

Shocking bit of coaching malpractice, either in pregame scouting, or lack of in-game adjustments. Regardless of defender's physical attributes, failure to overplay her right, force her back left, anticipate the drive spot in the lane to get there first, draw the offensive foul. Time and again, with the ball between the circles, angle or not Hidalgo forecast the exact same move. And most every time there was no overplay or weak-side rotation to cover. Frustrating. Think that was where the loss of Aubrey Griffin was most impactful, as she's terrific at anticipating ball movement as a weak-side rotator.

Thought another key moment, right before half, was the refs missed call, as Edwards was basically shoved out of bounds chasing a loose ball, without reaction from the coach to the referees. Lost chance not only to work the refs, jazz the crowd, but to protect his player. Disappointing.
Hildago was shifty in setting up her screens. If you watch her initial screen is left. She fakes left and allows screener to turn. She then burns the corner

Reaction Score
We're missing five of our first seven players. Jafy would have started, as would Azzi. Aubrey was always first off the bench. Caroline had been starting. Shade and Arnold are doing yeoman's work. But they would have been subbing in for others, had the injuries not occurred. Coach Geno is doing some of the absolute finest coaching of his entire career. But even he can't cover up all of the holes in the roster.
Yes injuries play a roll, but again you are supplanting expectations to reality. Reality is Azzi Fudd has been mediocre, Elfy hasn't played a collegiate game, Durcharme has flashes but disappears. However Aubrey is a blow, she is by far the most athletic kid in the team

Reaction Score
NO, NO, NO. Let's NOT fall into the PRECONCEIVE understanding or, should I say, the CULTURE of Geno's practice-time philosophy/STRICT RULE or DECIPLINE in deciding the game-time PT ! ! We may get the impression of Ines was not CAPABLE of handling an assignment of guarding a player such as Hidalgo, but , WHO knows? Its a matter of MATCHUP . Hidalgo is 5"6, Nika is 5"11, Ines is 5"9. My point is: Smaller guy Ines maybe Matchup better than bigger Nika against much smaller Hidaldo? If you don't try, how would you know? You recruited Ines from faraway Portugal, you must have seen some useful quality in her for the good of the team. She is a sophomore, and she performed some decent games last season, why not insert some ENERGY of her into our depleted and exhausted player pool ?

The key word here is : just TRY ! . Don't be too stubborn and insistent ? ! ? !
Because u don't just TRY when you want to win. She ain't ready and the fact of the matter Hildago would have made her stewed chicken. Hildago was that good.

Reaction Score
Juju only scores more because she takes a lot of shots. SC lost at home today to an unranked UW and she was 8/27 & 2/7 for 3's for her 19 pts that wasn't enough. For the season Juju has 25.9 ppg with 43 fg% and 34 3p% while Hannah is 24.4 ppg with 49 fg% & 39 3p%. Considering that the only 2 players in the country Caitlin and Hannah that are averaging more than 20ppg, 5 rpg, and 5 apg and Hannah is the only player in the country averaging more than 5 steals per game she's got a big edge on Juju.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame isn't going to run out to defend Bettencourt.
The point was you(?) said she’s going to turn the ball over everytime down the floor. We play 3 ballhandlers. She didn’t need to be the primary. You can leave her alone at your own risk too. She can make 3s.

Reaction Score
HH has been great but national media seems enamored of JuJu so she may well get it with HH a clear second.
Juju didn;t do well today in their loss at home to unranked Washington (8 for 27). I think the shine is running off. The UConn game put Hannah on top. Their close in scoring (25.9 vs 24.4 ppg) but Hannah has 5% better FG and 3pt % than Juju. They're close in rebounds (7 vs 6.4/game) but Hannah doubles her assists/game and lead the nation in steals.

Reaction Score
Although Ice is freshman from a college playing experience, let's not forget that while she was sitting out last season and not getting any sort of game reps and experience, Ash, KK, and Q were all playing basketball, albeit in HS. IMHO nothing can substitute actually playing the game.
I mostly agree with this although I'm not sure how valuable HS hoops are as a warmup for D1 basketball. What is valuable are the summer unofficial practices, which is why the players do them. I don't know exactly when Ice started practicing in earnest, but I think that while the freshmen were getting acclimated to D1, Ice wasn't doing anything except rehab. Sitting on your butt does not hone your basketball skills. The past 3 years Ice went from HS, to nothing, to D1. Give her time, she will get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom