Uconn ND Just Because | The Boneyard

Uconn ND Just Because

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well last nite is a story of 2 tales. UConn was a steamroller and ND showed guts. UConn was a team of mass destruction and ND found a way to win. UConn can do that to teams and thats in the back of every players mind. ND is not. ND is a very good team with great scorers however going up against UConn height inside will be tuff.

The biggest difference on Friday nite will be UConns ability to play defense against NDs guards and having our height in the middle giving ND problems trying to get inside. Both teams can score and have the ability to score alot of points however UConn has the edge down low, they have the edge in quickness down low on offense and also has an edge with defending Mabrey and Arike.

UConn will win this one by double digits. I have no fears. UConn is to dam consistent and ND has their ups and downs and hey lets give credit with all those injuries they're in the FF unfortunately they've got UConn and UConn is everybodys nitemare. So during the week the media will make all the hype and fans will be concerned about ND however UConn will do what they always do and thats why they win. They win because no team can figure out how to beat them. Uconn will win because UConn is that much better. UConn will win because they have the ability to blow ND out if they get it going.

I do not think we are at a point where UConn will loose. IMO the law of averages is not there. ND lacks a bench so fouling UConn is more critical then UConn fouling ND. ND cant afford foul trouble because their defense will have a hole in it. UConn still has Z and Meg and thats better then what ND will come at you with.

Remember just because UConn played great last nite and ND struggled doesnt mean that will happen on Friday nite. On Friday nite the game will be typical UConn ND. However this game we have a new CD and a new Z. They are different players then they were back when UConn and ND met the last time and as poorly as UConn played they found a way to win.

Reaction Score
Tony's last paragraph is something to remember. UConn played a wonderful game against SC. I don't think we could have asked for more. Against Notre Dame is very different, mostly because UConn is up against a coach who knows how to beat UConn, and seems to be able to put together a tough team no matter how many players go down with injuries.

Reaction Score
Let's see - Duke, SC, ND, MISS State. Its clear the NCAAs set this up to give UConn the toughest test possible to the championship (& to increase viewership). Hopefully, the 1st game was an anomaly, UConn was outplayed for 3 quarters & turned it on in the 4th. This was at home. If I remember correctly, KLS got hurt in the 2nd half and didnt play & GW was limited (?). Plus, I think ND is now down a player who contributed in the 1st game.

Still, I think this will be UConn's biggest test. This is essentially a home game for ND, so thats worth a few points. They key will be Geno's game plan & adjustments. Hopefully, they come out attacking the middle & inside - which will get fouls or at the least tire the ND players out by the 4th quarter. What I dont want to see is a slow, jump-shooting contest as that can be anyone's ballgame.

Reaction Score
Tony's last paragraph is something to remember. UConn played a wonderful game against SC. I don't think we could have asked for more. Against Notre Dame is very different, mostly because UConn is up against a coach who knows how to beat UConn, and seems to be able to put together a tough team no matter how many players go down with injuries.
Almost all correct, except the term “beat”. Mufflet understands UCONN probably as well as any opposing coach, so she has some insight into how to win a game, but nd has never been able to beat UCONN. Geno talked about the difference between losing a game and being beaten. UCONN beat nd in the 2013 semi and 2014 NC, then won the game in 2015 NC.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If we go hard and make the life of Mabrey difficult and play Shepard strong, I like our chances alot. I had a bigger fear of Oregon than ND.

Reaction Score
ND showed guts. UConn was a team of mass destruction and ND found a way to win..

ND lived up to their bb pedigree last night against a really good, versatile team.

Yet, don't forget God has a rule written somewhere, it seems, in stone:

"Muffet McGraw is not allowed to beat Geno Auriemma at any FINAL national championship game."

There are times, I wish, for MM's sake, this wasn't true.
Gods Way.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is it unusual that the four #1's all made it to the Final Four?
I had them all on my bracket! This season is setting up to mirror a few seasons ago where uconn beats nd in the ff and Louisville knocks off the bigdog baylor (Miss st) only to get blown out in the NC game. :)

Reaction Score
ND lived up to their bb pedigree last night against a really good, versatile team.

Yet, don't forget God has a rule written somewhere, it seems, in stone:

"Muffet McGraw is not allowed to beat Geno Auriemma at any national championship game."

There are times, I wish, for MM's sake, this wasn't true.
View attachment 30132
Isn't ND 3-1 against UConn in national semifinal games?

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Let's see - Duke, SC, ND, MISS State. Its clear the NCAAs set this up to give UConn the toughest test possible to the championship (& to increase viewership). Hopefully, the 1st game was an anomaly, UConn was outplayed for 3 quarters & turned it on in the 4th. This was at home. If I remember correctly, KLS got hurt in the 2nd half and didnt play & GW was limited (?). Plus, I think ND is now down a player who contributed in the 1st game.

In that December 3 game, Gabby played only 17 minutes (1 foul, 2 points); Azura stepped up (26 minutes, 17 points); Lou played 28 minutes. For Notre Dame, Thompson and Nelson played 39 minutes total and contributed 15 points. And ND also had 17 offensive rebounds.

If Lou is on the court and on her game for her usual contribution, and Gabby is . . . Gabby, we should feel pretty confident.

Reaction Score
Isn't ND 3-1 against UConn in national semifinal games?

Yes, but I am talking FINAL games for a national championship, not semifinal warmups.

"Current coach Muffet McGraw has been the women's head coach since 1987[2] and has led Notre Dame to seven Final Four appearances (1997, 2001, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015), winning the National Championship in 2001 by beating Purdue 68–66."

Reaction Score
Only fitting we play ND ... probably the toughest season game (although OOC), for the chance to play MSST (maybe) in NC... just seems right... no cake walk to being the Champions.

Reaction Score
I think this team is on a mission. I also think that they clearly remember being down to ND in December. I think this team remember a LOT of things about last year, and early in this season. Everyone is quick to say how opposing teams are not the same; well UConn isn't either - I think they're mentally stronger than they were earlier on. And to me, that is our edge.

Reaction Score
Even with short bench ND is tough, they can hurt you from very much every where.
We need to continue with our signature defense, shut them down early especially their guards.

I like your analysis but I'm skeptical about the new CD and Z.
You just can't depend on three to win. Fundamentally sound basketball wins, just keep on play the way we've been played all year and adjust if necessary base on game match-ups.
Z has potential and physical to match but I think mentally it hasn't caught up with her. She needs to practice her pivot moves, keep her legs close together until the last move and please use the back board.

Reaction Score
Well last nite is a story of 2 tales. UConn was a steamroller and ND showed guts. UConn was a team of mass destruction and ND found a way to win. UConn can do that to teams and thats in the back of every players mind. ND is not. ND is a very good team with great scorers however going up against UConn height inside will be tuff.

The biggest difference on Friday nite will be UConns ability to play defense against NDs guards and having our height in the middle giving ND problems trying to get inside. Both teams can score and have the ability to score alot of points however UConn has the edge down low, they have the edge in quickness down low on offense and also has an edge with defending Mabrey and Arike.

UConn will win this one by double digits. I have no fears. UConn is to dam consistent and ND has their ups and downs and hey lets give credit with all those injuries they're in the FF unfortunately they've got UConn and UConn is everybodys nitemare. So during the week the media will make all the hype and fans will be concerned about ND however UConn will do what they always do and thats why they win. They win because no team can figure out how to beat them. Uconn will win because UConn is that much better. UConn will win because they have the ability to blow ND out if they get it going.

I do not think we are at a point where UConn will loose. IMO the law of averages is not there. ND lacks a bench so fouling UConn is more critical then UConn fouling ND. ND cant afford foul trouble because their defense will have a hole in it. UConn still has Z and Meg and thats better then what ND will come at you with.

Remember just because UConn played great last nite and ND struggled doesnt mean that will happen on Friday nite. On Friday nite the game will be typical UConn ND. However this game we have a new CD and a new Z. They are different players then they were back when UConn and ND met the last time and as poorly as UConn played they found a way to win.

Tony, if you posted every day you would braek the all time record for "likes".
Unless you already have of course.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Against Notre Dame is very different, mostly because UConn is up against a coach who knows how to beat UConn, and seems to be able to put together a tough team no matter how many players go down with injuries.
Which is why I thought Muffet deserved Coach of the Year...very impressive this year! (and I'm the farthest thing from an ND fan).

Reaction Score
Which is why I thought Muffet deserved Coach of the Year...very impressive this year! (and I'm the farthest thing from an ND fan).
I will also vote for her effort to get shepherd eligible.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Are we talking about the same ND team that got smoked by Louisville twice who uconn handled easily? There's no more drama left this season. Uconn will win the next 2 games easily and win their 12 national championship .

We're DOOMED! All must now bow to the Mojo Gods.

Reaction Score
Even with short bench ND is tough, they can hurt you from very much every where.
We need to continue with our signature defense, shut them down early especially their guards.

I like your analysis but I'm skeptical about the new CD and Z.
You just can't depend on three to win. Fundamentally sound basketball wins, just keep on play the way we've been played all year and adjust if necessary base on game match-ups.
Z has potential and physical to match but I think mentally it hasn't caught up with her. She needs to practice her pivot moves, keep her legs close together until the last move and please use the back board.
At times, when Z gets ball 5 feet from basket, she just needs to turn and shoot. Easy play usually the best one.

Reaction Score
Are we talking about the same ND team that got smoked by Louisville twice who uconn handled easily? There's no more drama left this season. Uconn will win the next 2 games easily and win their 12 national championship .

...but still, this is the one game Geno get's tripped on. Once he makes it to the Championship game, it's a piece of cake. :rolleyes:

Region_11931.jpg

Reaction Score

Starting early this time around, Tony. Usually it seems we have to wait for your benediction until closer to playing. But we'll take it. Lucky Buddha gets his belly-rub, and the Huskies take ND apart. (Whether my wife will let me wear my UConn togs for the second time in a week is questionable. The underwear will definitely be deemed toxic and forbidden. Hate to handicap the ladies.)

However, the Irish do present a problem. Their 5 is a brute; really drops her ample size on anyone in her path. They have outside shooters, and at least one player who looks like an athlete (Young). And their coach is the 2nd best in the business.

As for knowing how to beat UConn, it's easy: just score with them. Once you get behind (and the Huskies have been ahead in every minute of every game this tourny), you generally don't catch up. ND caught Oregon because the Ducks stopped quacking in the second half. UConn won't.

As satisfying as it would be to set Muffet back on her tuffet and watch Marina scowl, obviously we'll settle for a W in any way it comes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom