UConn @ MD Trip (Ryan Phalen, Baseball Bus, Travel, Hotels, Tailgate etc...) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn @ MD Trip (Ryan Phalen, Baseball Bus, Travel, Hotels, Tailgate etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m the founder/owner of theBaseballBus.com and noticed that some folks who have been on our baseball trips in the past have posted about the UConn @ Maryland game we are offering.
We’ve been receiving a lot of traffic to our site from The Boneyard and e-mails with some really good questions about trip details and my company in general. I thought rather than answer the same questions over and over again we could start a Q&A thread on this blog so that anyone interested in heading to Maryland for the game can be informed.
First a little about myself and the company- In 2007, the year before I earned my MBA at UConn, I started theBaseballBus.com as a hobby. Over the past five years this hobby has turned into a legitimate business and now operates under the legal business entity theBaseballBus,LLC based in South Windsor, CT.

As a UConn alum and sports fan I’d like to get as many fans to Maryland for the game to support the team as we can. I’ve been a season ticket holder for both UConn football and Men’s basketball since 2003. I’ve traveled to Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Buffalo and the International Bowl in Toronto to see the football team play (missed the Michigan game due to the birth of my first child) and I’ve been to 14 consecutive Big East Basketball tournaments (unfortunately staying in NYC longer than the Huskies many times).

Sorry for the wordy post…but I enjoy supporting our state’s team and want to help as many people get to Maryland as possible. We are not the only option either. Ryan Phalen (Phalen@ironwoodcap.com) has organized a bus as well…information on his trip is pinned to the top of the board. You can also fly, drive yourself or take the train. Obvious I know, but traveling to Maryland is easy making a very large CT contingent in College Park possible.

So let’s get some chatter going with the Q&A…I will do my best to respond promptly to any questions directed to me. And I’ll see you on the bus!

I saw that the bus leaves at 1030 am on Friday. Because of work on Friday, I can't make the trip. I know if a later bus was making the trip, say around 5 or 6pm, myself +3 would make the trip. If there are a number of others in the same situation, would there be a possibility of adding a second bus full of UCONN fans to make the trip?

Reaction Score
I saw that the bus leaves at 1030 am on Friday. Because of work on Friday, I can't make the trip. I know if a later bus was making the trip, say around 5 or 6pm, myself +3 would make the trip. If there are a number of others in the same situation, would there be a possibility of adding a second bus full of UCONN fans to make the trip?

Can't get a day off to support the Huskies?!

In all seriousness- everyone's situation is different- and to answer your question about a 2nd bus set to depart later: ABSOLUTELY!

We are already 75% full on the bus leaving at 10:30am. Because of the interest level I have already made arrangements for a 2nd bus and blocked enough hotels to accommodate the additional fans.

So, UConnMatt813 if you can get enough interest for the second bus and the later departure time let us know and we will handle the rest. I only caution you that leaving as late as 6pm on a Friday can create some traffic issues...expect to be arriving between 1 and 2am...then be ready to tailgate as early as 7am on Saturday.

And to those of you that are interested in the 10/10:30am departure don't delay in making your reservations...3 weeks in and we are 75% full.

-GO HUSKIES-

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This game is almost getting interesting. I may be travelling through one of the DC airports on Sunday the 16th.

I think I may be able to squeeze a ticket up to DC Friday night, catch the game Saturday and get the heck out of there on Sunday. It's almost like the stars are lining up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Southwest is having a fare sale until Friday. Round trip to Baltimore Friday (9/14) to Sunday is $159. If you take the 7:00pm on Saturday home it's only $118.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Something to look forward to in Maryland. Crab cakes.

My first attempt at home made crab cakes tonight.

Came out pretty damn good. One pound of lump crab, 2 eggs for binding, panko bread crumbs and salt, fresh cracked black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper for seasoning.

389147_317655884994008_1762170186_n.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's a dirty little secret. Crab cakes are pretty easy to make. We have them at our nautical themed tailgates - Navy, Rhody, etc.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
So you just mix all that and cook 'em like little patties? Is that it?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Something to look forward to in Maryland. Crab cakes.

I was looking forward to watching the Terps call shotgun draws on 3rd and 9, but to each his own.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So you just mix all that and cook 'em like little patties? Is that it?

That's it.

And, after last season, I think I'd rather see the Terps having 3rd and 2 than 3rd and 9. Seems like every time an opponent had third and long I was doing a face palm and reaching for a swig of beer when the play was over.

Reaction Score
TRIP UPDATE- we've decided to add a tailgate party to our already low prices!

So, in addition to round trip transportation on a deluxe motor coach (with movies, games and prizes), one night hotel stay in downtown Baltimore, and game ticket we’re throwing in a cookout at no additional cost. See here: UConn @ Maryland

We’re still finalizing the menu, but be ready for all of the hot dogs, hamburgers, and side dishes you can eat! We’re going to have a huge grill fired up right in the tailgate area.

We’re down to 8 seats on the first bus and once those go we’d love to fill a second one. Don’t delay, contact us today!

Can’t take the bus with us but plan to be at the game and want to join our tailgate? Contact us at info@theBaseballBus.com and we’ll be sure to throw enough burgers and dogs on the grill for you too.

GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
Everyone-
As an FYI, the UMUC Marriott has sold out of its publically available rooms on Friday 9/14 and Saturday 9/15 and the only way to get in now is through the "Connecticut Football Fans 2" block. The rate is $154/night for Friday/Saturday. You must book by August 16 to get this rate- after this date the hotel will raise the price further and any rooms available on our block will be sold to the public! I’ve got about a dozen king rooms for both nights left. If you’re booking online, the group code is “C2FC2FA”; if want to do it by phone, call Marriott Reservations at 1 (800) 453-0309 or (301) 985-7300 to make reservations, and identify yourself as part of the “Connecticut Football Fans 2” group staying at The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College, located at 3501 University Boulevard E, Adelphi, MD 20783-7998.

As a cheaper alternative, there's still plenty of availability (15-20 rooms/night) at the Courtyard Greenville for $119/night, 6301 Golden Triangle Drive, Greenbelt, MD 20770. It's about a 15 min drive from the other hotel/campus, but for $35/nt less I figured people would want something like that. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/WASGR?groupCode=PFFPFFA&app=resvlink&fromDate=9/13/12&toDate=9/17/12
When you click on the link above, you will be directed to the property's home page with the group code for a King already entered in the group code field. If you want to reserve a Queen, please enter PFFPFFB in the group code field. Next, enter ARRIVAL and DEPARTURE date to begin the reservation process. If you prefer to make reservations by phone, you can call reservations department at 1 888 236 2427 and ask for the Connecticut Football Fans Room Block at the Courtyard Greenbelt.

Let me know if people have any questions...football season is almost here!

Reaction Score
Thanks for the pin- tailgate info (in coordination with Drew on the Baseball Bus) will be coming soon!

Reaction Score
Is parking included in the rate ? How many cars can park at the hotel per room ?

Reaction Score
There's a garage next door that you'll park at that's not included in the rate- it's $8/night/car as a hotel guest, more if you're not.

Reaction Score
Hey ryan.. We'll be driving our RV down and would love to tailgate with you guys so if you are setting up some place to park other than the RV parking lot see if you can get us in there too. We'll pay whatever we have to for parking. We'll be riding down with 10 UConn fans and having another 10 meeting us there from DC.

Reaction Score
We'll likely be in the RV/bus lot- makes things simple since there's a general cash lot just across the street so people can park and walk over to us.

Reaction Score
I live in MD and have been communicating with folks going to the game that live down here, Ryan Phalen and thebaseballbus group concerning the tailgate. Although I was not at MI, this should be equally as good or better. Here is the info on parking from thebaseballbus.

Parking- buses and RVs are required to park in lot C1 as I stated previously. Again, this lot is right near the main entrance to campus off of route 1.

Cars will not be allowed into lot C1, but you can park directly across the street in lot XX1. XX1 is also called "cash lot" or "white lot".

Reaction Score
I live in MD and have been communicating with folks going to the game that live down here, Ryan Phalen and thebaseballbus group concerning the tailgate. Although I was not at MI, this should be equally as good or better. Here is the info on parking from thebaseballbus.

Parking- buses and RVs are required to park in lot C1 as I stated previously. Again, this lot is right near the main entrance to campus off of route 1.

Cars will not be allowed into lot C1, but you can park directly across the street in lot XX1. XX1 is also called "cash lot" or "white lot".
So if we are from Connecticut and don't have a parking pass the best option is lot XX1. Are there any other options and how early should we get there. thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
XX1 is the best option for parking close to the bus/RV lot (C1) and joining the tailgate that Ryan Phalen and theBaseballbus.com are organizing...more on that later.

As for timing...lots open 6 hrs prior to kick-off at Maryland, which would be 6:30am in this case.

Our bus will be arriving around that time to take full advantage...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Everyone, I have combined the couple travel threads we had going now that the pads are on and the board is going to get busy soon. By now most I assume have already made some type of plans towards the MD trip. When you guys come up with the tailgate info just keep this thread going...let me know what I can help with if its messy at all. I can move posts and quote things to help keep it clean as needed. Thanks to both ryan and the baseball bus for doing these trips. This fan base is on the rise!!!

As for everyone else, any little thing you can add info wise on the trip would be great to post here. Whether its a Friday night flight deal or a must stop rest stop(lol)...So basically lets put all info in this thread and pack that stadium!!!

Reaction Score
So if we are from Connecticut and don't have a parking pass the best option is lot XX1. Are there any other options and how early should we get there. thanks in advance.

Those white lots may be still reserved for MD ticket holders

http://www.transportation.umd.edu/images/parking/PDFs/FootballParkingMap.pdf had 'visitor parking' listed linked off this page: http://www.transportation.umd.edu/fballParking.html
as the 'Black lots'
so not sure if we would need to try and collect some white passes ahead of time for those driving down separately or see about 3rd party parking options that may be in the right neighborhood.

Looks like even though they are 'cash' lots, they actually require a pre registration essentially (split between the white and yellow zones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom