UConn @ MD Trip (Ryan Phalen, Baseball Bus, Travel, Hotels, Tailgate etc...) | The Boneyard

UConn @ MD Trip (Ryan Phalen, Baseball Bus, Travel, Hotels, Tailgate etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everybody-
In case people missed it earlier, as a heads up, I’ve put together a bus trip and hotel rate for the UConn/Maryland football game. If people don’t want to join the bus, they’re more than welcome to use the hotel rate so we can get the UConn fans all in one place. The game is on Saturday, September 15.

Given that we don’t know what time the game is yet, I’m planning on leaving Friday September 14th from Connecticut around noontime, and coming back Sunday morning. This may change when we figure out what time the game is. Cost would be $85/person for the bus ride. Email me at Phalen@ironwoodcap.com if you’re interested in joining the bus.

For the hotel, it doesn’t get much closer- the UMUC Marriott is about 500 yards from the football stadium. The group rate is $104/night, $15 below the retail rate- I’ve got a block of 35 double rooms and 15 king rooms for both nights (Friday and Saturday) with 10 rooms on Thursday and Sunday if people wanted to stay longer on either side. If you just want the hotel, please reserve these soon (and please make sure you do it under the “Connecticut Football Fans” group) so that I can keep a good number of rooms available for those who will be coming on the bus/buses. You can reserve the rooms now- the block is set up and you won’t pay anything until we go down there. If you’re interested, call Marriott Reservations at 1 (800) 453-0309 or (301) 985-7300 to make reservations, and identify yourself as part of the “Connecticut Football Fans” group staying at The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College, located at 3501 University Boulevard E, Adelphi, MD 20783-7998. If the block is full, please email me and let me know so I can expand it.

Let me know if you have any questions. Look forward to seeing you all! Tailgate information to come at a later date- working up a UConn tailgate with The Don that we hope can be bigger and better than it was at Michigan!

Thanks
-Ryan

Reaction Score
Done a few of these trips before I must admit to all Ryan does a kickass job doesn't miss a damn thing! And if anything your over informed lol!

Reaction Score
I have stayed at the Marriott a couple of times when I have been down to UMD to catch football and basketball games, the location is perfect, and in my opinion the best option in College Park. Can't beat the price either. The surrounding area is boring, but the Campus is nice, IMO.

Reaction Score
Wow, Ryan Phalen. That name is a blast from my past. Ryan and I were on rec league b-ball teams together in middle school in T-town.

Reaction Score
I am from DC and probably won't be joining the hotel, but look forward to a tailgate. Mich was awesome!

Reaction Score
I agree Ryan goes all out on tailgating. No other word than awesome.

Reaction Score
Everybody-
In case people missed it earlier, as a heads up, I’ve put together a bus trip and hotel rate for the UConn/Maryland football game. If people don’t want to join the bus, they’re more than welcome to use the hotel rate so we can get the UConn fans all in one place. The game is on Saturday, September 15.

Given that we don’t know what time the game is yet, I’m planning on leaving Friday September 14th from Connecticut around noontime, and coming back Sunday morning. This may change when we figure out what time the game is. Cost would be $85/person for the bus ride. Email me at Phalen@ironwoodcap.com if you’re interested in joining the bus.

For the hotel, it doesn’t get much closer- the UMUC Marriott is about 500 yards from the football stadium. The group rate is $104/night, $15 below the retail rate- I’ve got a block of 35 double rooms and 15 king rooms for both nights (Friday and Saturday) with 10 rooms on Thursday and Sunday if people wanted to stay longer on either side. If you just want the hotel, please reserve these soon (and please make sure you do it under the “Connecticut Football Fans” group) so that I can keep a good number of rooms available for those who will be coming on the bus/buses. You can reserve the rooms now- the block is set up and you won’t pay anything until we go down there. If you’re interested, call Marriott Reservations at 1 (800) 453-0309 or (301) 985-7300 to make reservations, and identify yourself as part of the “Connecticut Football Fans” group staying at The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College, located at 3501 University Boulevard E, Adelphi, MD 20783-7998. If the block is full, please email me and let me know so I can expand it.

Let me know if you have any questions. Look forward to seeing you all! Tailgate information to come at a later date- working up a UConn tailgate that we hope can be bigger and better than it was at Michigan!

Thanks
-Ryan

Reaction Score
I'm in!! Unfortunately I'm coming with 2 Maryland knuckleheads. Good news is that they know the lay of the land. Bad news is, theyre Terps!

Reaction Score
Gotta talk to my friends tomorrow, but likely will be booking a room if not two. We gotta get an official bar or something to hit up the night of.

Reaction Score
All you procrastinators are toast- we hit an NFL weekend and the block is sold out on Fri/Sat. Currently working on expanding the block but the rate is $154-159/night.

Also working on a non-bus option about 15 min away for the same $104/night as the original block.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
All you procrastinators are toast- we hit an NFL weekend and the block is sold out on Fri/Sat. Currently working on expanding the block but the rate is $154-159/night.

Also working on a non-bus option about 15 min away for the same $104/night as the original block.

Help me out on this Ryan... I'm seeing Redskins and Ravens are both away that weekend... why the NFL conflict?

Reaction Score

---------------------------------------
Ryan,

thanks for putting this together. I just logged into the Marriott website for the same hotel in Maryland and they allowed me to block 10 rooms for both friday and sat at $123/night. I cancelled out the order bcuz u were working on more rooms but was wondering if you could get the same deal? Its not $104 but its better than $154...... When u try to reserve just one room the rate is $159 even w/ a marriott rewards account. Seems high, but just letting u know.

D

Reaction Score
Help me out on this Ryan... I'm seeing Redskins and Ravens are both away that weekend... why the NFL conflict?

The FedEx Field event that is jacking up the rate is (brace yourselves) WVU vs. James Madison.

Got a $154 rate at the Marriott- that one will be "Connecticut Football Fans 2"

Also finalizing a $119 rate at a Courtyard nearby- details coming soon.

Doug- to address your concern, I've spoken with them all day and I don't believe they would honor that rate. If you can get that, more power to you, but I'd imagine that you'd need to confirm with the Hotel Manager before that would go through.

Reaction Score

Hey Mike,

U R Right, its not an NFL Game!!

Were being blocked by..... wait for it.... wait for it...
Thats right, a WEST VIRGINIA game!!!!! (applause now)

How do u like them apples?

Them Darn Mountaineers!!!!

Reaction Score
Alright the new block (25 rooms) is set up at the UMUC Marriott. New group name- "Connecticut Football Fans 2" and $154/night. The group code is C2FC2FA and is only good for king-size rooms. If people need rooms Thursday/Sunday they should book those nights separately using the old group rate. As an FYI, the other block was 52 rooms, so this will be 77 total UConn rooms if we sell out. If people on the $104 block cancel, please let me know ASAP.

I've also got a non-bus hotel option for people that's a bit cheaper- $119/night about 10 min away. Details on that one coming as soon as I get them from the hotel.

Reaction Score
Non-bus hotel option received- $119/night at the Courtyard Greenbelt, 6301 Golden Triangle Drive, Greenbelt, MD 20770. It's about a 15 min drive from the other hotel/campus, but for $35/nt less I figured people would want something like that.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/WASGR?groupCode=PFFPFFA&app=resvlink&fromDate=9/13/12&toDate=9/17/12
When you click on the link above, you will be directed to the property's home page with the group code for a King already entered in the group code field. If you want to reserve a Queen, please enter PFFPFFB in the group code field. Next, enter ARRIVAL and DEPARTURE date to begin the reservation process. If you prefer to make reservations by phone, you can call reservations department at 1 888 236 2427 and ask for the Connecticut Football Fans Room Block at the Courtyard Greenbelt.

Reaction Score
I’m the founder/owner of theBaseballBus.com and noticed that some folks who have been on our baseball trips in the past have posted about the UConn @ Maryland game we are offering.
We’ve been receiving a lot of traffic to our site from The Boneyard and e-mails with some really good questions about trip details and my company in general. I thought rather than answer the same questions over and over again we could start a Q&A thread on this blog so that anyone interested in heading to Maryland for the game can be informed.
First a little about myself and the company- In 2007, the year before I earned my MBA at UConn, I started theBaseballBus.com as a hobby. Over the past five years this hobby has turned into a legitimate business and now operates under the legal business entity theBaseballBus,LLC based in South Windsor, CT.

As a UConn alum and sports fan I’d like to get as many fans to Maryland for the game to support the team as we can. I’ve been a season ticket holder for both UConn football and Men’s basketball since 2003. I’ve traveled to Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Buffalo and the International Bowl in Toronto to see the football team play (missed the Michigan game due to the birth of my first child) and I’ve been to 14 consecutive Big East Basketball tournaments (unfortunately staying in NYC longer than the Huskies many times).

Sorry for the wordy post…but I enjoy supporting our state’s team and want to help as many people get to Maryland as possible. We are not the only option either. Ryan Phalen (Phalen@ironwoodcap.com) has organized a bus as well…information on his trip is pinned to the top of the board. You can also fly, drive yourself or take the train. Obvious I know, but traveling to Maryland is easy making a very large CT contingent in College Park possible.

So let’s get some chatter going with the Q&A…I will do my best to respond promptly to any questions directed to me. And I’ll see you on the bus!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm really glad that folks like you and Ryan have stepped up, when there is a clear demand. Not sure why this isn't standard procedure for the UConn Athletic Office, but hey, good for you guys. :)

Reaction Score
Here is a question I have received several times today:

Q: Where are the seats for the game?
A: We'll be in the visitors section(s) with all of the other UConn fans. I think the folks at Maryland don't want us intermingled with their fans just as much as we want to be able to watch and cheer with fellow Husky supporters.

Reaction Score
Today's most frequently asked question?

Q:What is the room configuration at the hotel?
A: There are two choices and both will sleep four comfortably- 1) Two Queen Beds or 2) One King Bed and a Pull-Out Sofa

Feel free to post your questions here for the benefit of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom