UConn may be going to the B1G Conference! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn may be going to the B1G Conference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Re" the teams to add to the SEC, I think you are way off base. The teams that they might raid would most certainly be Miami, and FSU. It's a no brainer. Adding the Canes and Noles would be a natural. Florida, Miami, and Fla St would comprise a big chunk of the SEC. They might even considering jettisoning A&M. They really belong in the Big-12. Their move was not one of the most thought out one, IMHO. As to UC, and it's move to the Big10, it might work, but the expansion price of upping the seating capacity of the Rent might be problematic, especially if the taxpayers have to pay the bill, but thats another whole different story. It really hinges on how well the mens football program progresses under Diaco. If UC is admitted to the Big10 expect the football team to be a whipping boy for a number of years, not unlike UC's mens basketball program in the early days of the Big East.
As it is said.......IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

The "blanket coverage approach" such as you suggest has fallen out of favor. Today it is the preference to have a single foothold with a very prominent school in each media market.

Reaction Score
The "blanket coverage approach" such as you suggest has fallen out of favor. Today it is the preference to have a single foothold with a very prominent school in each media market.
You're probably right. Better to have at least one team in as many media markets as possible, and for the NYC market, Rutgers is that one team. Makes sense. Perhaps then we could be the ACC's team covering the NY market, though UConn is not technically in the NYC DMA like Rutgers is.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was told that RU and UConn will be playing an OOC game next year @ Uconn. They were trying to schedule it at a neutral site in NYC, but when that couldn't happen, CVS agreed to play in CT. I did not hear it on the Boneyard, but from the RU Cagers Club.

Sorry, I thought he was talking about football.

Reaction Score
But a good chunk of Connecticut and the UConn fan base is.
Only Fairfield County is. The bulk of the state and it's population are not. Plus I'm not sure how much of Fairfield County is really UConn territory anyway. Not sure if there's really a way to show how many people from each county are associated with UConn in some way, but I would bet it's lower the further away from Storrs you get.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Only Fairfield County is. The bulk of the state and it's population are not. Plus I'm not sure how much of Fairfield County is really UConn territory anyway. Not sure if there's really a way to show how many people from each county are associated with UConn in some way, but I would bet it's lower the further away from Storrs you get.

Geez, the 1st and 4th most populous cites in the state are in Fairfield County, about 26% of the overall population. That doesn't count as a "good chunk"? And didn't UConn BB just sellout 2 games at inflated prices against scrub opponents in Fairfield County? That doesn't show impressive fan interest to you?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
FFLD Cty has over 33,000 UConn alums per Harbor Yard which is talking about having the men and women play 2 games there this season.

Reaction Score
No one will be leaving the ACC for a good while because they all signed over there tv rights to the ACC so if they leave before I say 2021 the ACC would still own the tv rights

UConn would be a better fit in the ACC

Reaction Score
I don't believe any of the rumors, but it would make sense for the B1G's endgame to 16 teams to include UConn (sewing up the NYC market) and Virginia (sewing up the DC market). That would give them big-time exposure on the East Coast, which seems to be the B1G's final goal.

The B1G are large, public universities with top-flight academic reputations, and, if we step our game up in terms of AAU entry (and, obviously, football), both us and Virginia fit that profile.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The B1G got a huge eye opener at the MSG regional with the support of the CT following for the men's team. It did not go unnoticed in Chicago.
I mentioned that to Eric last night. If Rutgers gets the conference the Western suburbs, UConn would get them the Eastern suburbs. Imagine--NYC as a B1G stronghold! The conference just announced that the men's hoops tourney will be in DC in 2017, which still seems odd. If they can go to MSG, it would be a mega-event.

I know football money drives this, but UConn is hot right now. One basketball coach is a former NBA player who won the NCAA tourney in his first year of eligibility, and the other is now an icon on the national stage.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
... I would bet it's lower the further away from Storrs you get.
We'd probably all concede that point,... regarding cow demographics.:)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geez, the 1st and 4th most populous cites in the state are in Fairfield County, about 26% of the overall population. That doesn't count as a "good chunk"? And didn't UConn BB just sellout 2 games at inflated prices against scrub opponents in Fairfield County? That doesn't show impressive fan interest to you?
To be honest, not really. It's a small state. People from all over the state went to those games, plus they were novelty games. What the B1G is ultimately interested in is NYC's TV sets. Does adding UConn really get them that many more TV viewers in the NYC DMA than they would have without adding UConn? Or do people really believe they're after that lucrative Hartford-New Haven media market where most UConn fans' TV sets reside? Would the B1G be better off investing in a different media market where they have zero presence now? That's how they will view expansion. I've already made my case in the other board about why the B1G should pick up UConn, but I'm not Jim Delaney, and it's not hard to see why the B1G would look elsewhere for new members, because well, they've already done it a couple of times.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
. What the B1G is ultimately interested in is NYC's TV sets. Does adding UConn really get them that many more TV viewers in the NYC DMA than they would have without adding UConn?

You are contradicting yourself here. Are you talking about sets or viewers? Maybe UConn wouldn't move the needle on sets in NYC, but they have the potential to do so for viewers.

Reaction Score
You are contradicting yourself here. Are you talking about sets or viewers? Maybe UConn wouldn't move the needle on sets in NYC, but they have the potential to do so for viewers.
I'm trying to figure out why people think of UConn as more of a NYC team over Rutgers. What evidence is there? We seem to be hanging our hat on the idea that we're the big dog college team in that market so the B1G should pick us, and I'm just asking are we, and why do we think that? Because a lot of UConn fans made the trek to MSG? That's kind of a well duh response. If the game was held in Chicago, and the crowd was 80-20 in favor of Michigan State fans, does that make Michigan State "Chicago's team?" By the way there's another team that wears red that may be more popular than either Rutgers or UConn, in basketball anyway, that actually is located in NYC.

Reaction Score
You keep moving the target. But I'll keep playing. UConn teams win. I listen to NYC radio. I'll hear 20 UConn mentions for every 1 from Rutgers.
It's not a matter of moving the target. The B1G has spoken. They've added 3 teams in the past 3 years, and as far as we know never even considered UConn. Apparently not even coming off a BCS appearance and a pile of hoops hardware wasn't good enough, and I'm trying to figure out what has changed (other than our football program deteriorating) in the 2 years since they last extended invites.

Reaction Score
Look UConn is not going to the Big10 at the immediate future. I

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They don't play football though.....so nobody cares.

From what I've seen in the last couple of years, neither do we.

tumblr_mehf1vSdud1r6s2pj.gif

Thats cold blooded right there

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Re" the teams to add to the SEC, I think you are way off base. The teams that they might raid would most certainly be Miami, and FSU. It's a no brainer. Adding the Canes and Noles would be a natural. Florida, Miami, and Fla St would comprise a big chunk of the SEC. They might even considering jettisoning A&M. They really belong in the Big-12. Their move was not one of the most thought out one, IMHO. As to UC, and it's move to the Big10, it might work, but the expansion price of upping the seating capacity of the Rent might be problematic, especially if the taxpayers have to pay the bill, but thats another whole different story. It really hinges on how well the mens football program progresses under Diaco. If UC is admitted to the Big10 expect the football team to be a whipping boy for a number of years, not unlike UC's mens basketball program in the early days of the Big East.
As it is said.......IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.
We already have the Florida TV markets because of UF, so FSU and Miami add nothing to the pot. UF is the big fish in the state of Florida.

Reaction Score
To be honest, not really. It's a small state. People from all over the state went to those games, plus they were novelty games. What the B1G is ultimately interested in is NYC's TV sets. Does adding UConn really get them that many more TV viewers in the NYC DMA than they would have without adding UConn? Or do people really believe they're after that lucrative Hartford-New Haven media market where most UConn fans' TV sets reside? Would the B1G be better off investing in a different media market where they have zero presence now? That's how they will view expansion. I've already made my case in the other board about why the B1G should pick up UConn, but I'm not Jim Delaney, and it's not hard to see why the B1G would look elsewhere for new members, because well, they've already done it a couple of times.
Well, they got Rutgers who don't represent themselves very well either on the gridiron or on the basketball court. At least UConn dominates on the court! Then too, how many people in New York really care about Rutgers football at all! Not many, to be sure!

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
The more exposure UConn gets on NY TV, the more acquainted the NYC audience gets with our team. That's how it worked in Connecticut while CPTV promoted us; that's how it will work with SNY and ESPN showing our games. I'm sure the suits at ACC and B1G will watch the numbers in the NY metro area to see the audience size for any UConn games televised. I am sure they will be good and will grow larger, BUT it still will come down to the football program. They better improve quickly...

Reaction Score
The more exposure UConn gets on NY TV, the more acquainted the NYC audience gets with our team. That's how it worked in Connecticut while CPTV promoted us; that's how it will work with SNY and ESPN showing our games. I'm sure the suits at ACC and B1G will watch the numbers in the NY metro area to see the audience size for any UConn games televised. I am sure they will be good and will grow larger, BUT it still will come down to the football program. They better improve quickly...
As I mentioned in the CR board, UConn really is the last legitimate medium sized school east of the Mississippi that has a really solid academic standing (that continues to improve) and athletic programs that actually win titles while competing in the NCAA's top division. Who else is left that's not already in a P5 conference? No one is leaving the SEC or B1G for the ACC, so unless the ACC wants to invite the South Central Louisiana State Mud Dogs they may have to swallow their pride and take UConn (a school that's actually closer to the Atlantic Ocean than almost every one of their members). As far as the B1G, they should dump the AAU requirement because let's face it, UConn even without AAU membership is a better academic institution than half of their members already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom