UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The reason for the change is marketing. New logo = new purchases. Now while they are doing that they are also unifying the way we present our self to the public, which is fine but at the end of the day is is about money.

Oh why we are at can we get rid of the colors of the rainbow/highlight yellow and pink UConn gear? Blue or white, please.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm talking about the image of the dog.

Why is this so confusing for everyone?

If you want the same logo everywhere, that doesn't prevent you from using the current image of the dog, does it?

A logo is a pictorial representation that is trademarked. A mascot is not a logo. A logo may contain a representation of a mascot, as ours does. Our mascot is the Siberian Husky dog. Our logos include the drawn husky, the block C, the interlocking UC etc. So we use lots of logos.

I think they didn't like the current Husky logo anymore and wanted something fresh, and perhaps something that could be utilized more widely. The Husky doesn't normally appear on uniforms for example. It is also a very "friendly" looking dog, and I think they wanted more edge to it. I doubt that UCONN will employ just one logo. U Washington has a new Husky, but still uses the Block W as well. I think it's about streamlining and making the branding more consistent.

Reaction Score
A logo is a pictorial representation that is trademarked. A mascot is not a logo. A logo may contain a representation of a mascot, as ours does. Our mascot is the Siberian Husky dog. Our logos include the drawn husky, the block C, the interlocking UC etc. So we use lots of logos.

I think they didn't like the current Husky logo anymore and wanted something fresh, and perhaps something that could be utilized more widely. The Husky doesn't normally appear on uniforms for example. It is also a very "friendly" looking dog, and I think they wanted more edge to it. I doubt that UCONN will employ just one logo. U Washington has a new Husky, but still uses the Block W as well. I think it's about streamlining and making the branding more consistent.

I was pretty sure I was using the word mascot correctly. Then I looked it up. I did use it correctly.

Reaction Score
I understand what you're saying: if the issue was a lack unity and brand consistency, why create a new Jonathan, when you could streamline the secondary logos and keep the current Jonathan logo?

From my understanding, when UConn made the decision to streamline/rebrand, they used numerous student-athletes, coaches, administrators to evaluate the current status of our brand (along with Nike), and one thing that came up, especially from student-athletes, was the current Jonathan looked "tired" and wasn't aggressive. Maybe that is what led to many teams developing their own logos? I think it was that feedback that really finalized the decision to give Jonathan a makeover.

To those that think this is about money: it's obviously a factor but it was not the primary motivation for this. The largest profit off of apparel was after the 2011 Championship (obviously). Winning is what really turns a profit. Sure there will a temporary boost in revenue, which is good for the University FYI, oh and no one is telling you that you have to buy new merchandise. So why hate on people who decide to purchase new gear when this is launched?

Lastly, yeah I'm not a big fan of the neon colored clothing, but that isn't controlled Athletics. Companies, like Victoria's Secret, pay the rights fees to use the UConn name, and they can produce whatever products that want, as long as they are approved by the University. Sure it would cut down on the shopping time for us if our girlfriends only had 3 colors to pick from, but can we be a little realistic? However, if it is a company producing something with UConn Athletics logos, rarely are they allowed to use anything other than blue, white, and red.

So we good? Can we all be friends again?

I never heard this poll of the student athletes. You're the second one to say it in this thread though. It might not be the right target audience because they're young and probably don't much remember the '99 championship even (15 years ago when some of them were 3!). That being said, we're all open to a new logo. The potential to get the logo wrong is huge given what we've seen lately from designers.

Reaction Score
Well it's no surprise, since UConn fails with its messaging often, but I'm worried people think Nike stormed into Storrs one day and said "We need more money for you, here's a new logo". It just doesn't work like that. It was a long process that involved many people throughout the University. Of course you wouldn't know that because for some reason no says it, but maybe that rhetoric will be ramped up over the next couple weeks. And I swear if I see one more person think that stupid Courant political cartoon is our new logo, I'm gonna start flipping cars in Celeron.

As far as the logo itself, after the vocal minority goes ape for a week, I hope we all realize (like I do with my Dallas Cowboys) that it doesn't matter what changes are made, if you are a true fan of UConn you will embrace it, because that's what we do with our favorite teams. I'm not telling you to love it, and it is perfectly fine to come to the Boneyard and disagree, but in the end, I'm going to support the 700 student-athletes that love UConn as much as me.

I lived in Buffalo when they introduced the Sabres slug. People didn't embrace it. And the guy who chose it rode out of town on a rail. There's always a chance something like that will happen. That being said, sports fans accept some pretty crappy logos.

Reaction Score
Wish we could just see the dang thing already. The curiosity's killing me. Three more weeks is a long time to wait considering all the online chatter here.

At least it's somewhat reassuring to hear the insiders say we'll be happy with the new logo. There's a lot of sentimentality about the current Jonathan logo from many of us, but I agree we've needed to standardize our branding across all UConn sports teams for some time.

Trusting that they got it right, but we'll see for ourselves next month.

Reaction Score
Gotcha, we all know the horror stories of terrible logos and it is always a possibility, but in my opinion, I don't think UConn fans have to worry. And none of the images posted in various threads have even been close.

But I haven't heard much buzz about uniforms, besides those couple of recruits mentioning stuff on Twitter. I like the clean look of our football unis, and a white helmet should be cool. I don't expect us to be Oregon or anything but a complete alternate would be nice.

Are they going with a white helmet? Haven't heard anything about the unis for any of the teams either.

Reaction Score
Are they going with a white helmet? Haven't heard anything about the unis for any of the teams either.

I didn't get a chance to see the new helmet, but I believe Warde Manuel said he wanted something "iconic" like they have at Michigan. Something that people will associate with UConn. The new helmets will not have the block "C", but I believe will bear the new logo.

I did, however, get a chance to see some of the new jersey designs, and for the most part, the changes aren't too drastic. From the jerseys I was able to see, the main difference was that the color red was incorporated much more than in the past. Additionally, the new logo is put in the place of some of the old block letters on some jerseys (e.g., the women's basketball shorts, the collar of the football jersey, etc.). Other than that, I believe most of the jerseys will generally be similar to what they are now, but I think people will be happy with the changes.

Reaction Score
Well thats good to hear. I never was a big fan of the interlocking UC and usually pass up buying shirts/shorts/hats that have it. I liked when the husky dog logo was on the uniform shorts so thats cool they are going back to that.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I never heard this poll of the student athletes. You're the second one to say it in this thread though. It might not be the right target audience because they're young and probably don't much remember the '99 championship even (15 years ago when some of them were 3!). That being said, we're all open to a new logo. The potential to get the logo wrong is huge given what we've seen lately from designers.
I don't know about a student poll but I completed a uconn poll a while back dealing with branding - asking about the white/blue/red colors, use of uconn vs connecticut, block C vs interlocking etc. I don't know if that was part of the initial review, it had to be 1-2 years ago. I can't remember if there were any questions about the husky dog.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't know about a student poll but I completed a uconn poll a while back dealing with branding - asking about the white/blue/red colors, use of uconn vs connecticut, block C vs interlocking etc. I don't know if that was part of the initial review, it had to be 1-2 years ago. I can't remember if there were any questions about the husky dog.
Through where? Season tickets?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think the wait is to maximize the splash, if it were done during the tournament (men's / women's) it would detract from some of the attention.

The reports in this thread are encouraging, but maybe I'll try to keep from getting my hopes up too much so I can still be pleasantly surprised. And yeah... no matter what it looks like a vocal minority will hate it, so there's that to look forward to as well!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm not really so love with our logo that I will throw a fit so I'm excited for this change. Would any of our "insiders" know if they plan on doing the release at or around the Spring game? It would seem logical and Nike can throw their fashion show that they like to do in the box before the game. The team can then wear the new helmets during the game.

Thanks for all the updates and info.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

I did that one as well. It was sent to my email. Probably about 18 months ago.

Reaction Score
I'm not really so love with our logo that I will throw a fit so I'm excited for this change. Would any of our "insiders" know if they plan on doing the release at or around the Spring game? It would seem logical and Nike can throw their fashion show that they like to do in the box before the game. The team can then wear the new helmets during the game.

Thanks for all the updates and info.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yep. Word is the release date is April 18 (2 days before the Spring game).

CL82

Reaction Score
I didn't get a chance to see the new helmet, but I believe Warde Manuel said he wanted something "iconic" like they have at Michigan. Something that people will associate with UConn. The new helmets will not have the block "C", but I believe will bear the new logo.

I did, however, get a chance to see some of the new jersey designs, and for the most part, the changes aren't too drastic. From the jerseys I was able to see, the main difference was that the color red was incorporated much more than in the past. Additionally, the new logo is put in the place of some of the old block letters on some jerseys (e.g., the women's basketball shorts, the collar of the football jersey, etc.). Other than that, I believe most of the jerseys will generally be similar to what they are now, but I think people will be happy with the changes.
I'm happy already. I've been stumping for the addition of more red for a while now.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hopefully, it is still maintains the current level of recognition. It could very easily look like any number of other "huskies" logos and end up quite generic. For example, St. Cloud State.
stcs.jpg

CL82

Reaction Score
I think it's another example of why streamlining logos during this rebrand is just as important as the Jonathan makeover.
More, imo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For those interested, Georgia just announced today that they updated their logos/branding through their agreement with Nike. It is called the "New Brand Identity System". Sounds similar to what UConn is doing:

The University of Georgia Athletic Association, in partnership with Nike, has introduced a department-wide brand identity system designed to better define and distinguish what is already a nationally prominent collegiate brand.

The Georgia Athletic Association worked in close consultation with Nike over a 15-month period in order to develop an innovative and cohesive athletic brand identity that reflects the unique qualities of Georgia Athletics while promoting a consistent and unified look across all sports.:

http://www.georgiadogs.com/m/ot/brand-identity.html#?w=640

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/geo/genrel/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/digital-art-sheet.pdf[/quote]

That is very nicely done. I am feeling much better about our upcoming branding.

Reaction Score
For those interested, Georgia just announced today that they updated their logos/branding through their agreement with Nike. It is called the "New Brand Identity System". Sounds similar to what UConn is doing:

The University of Georgia Athletic Association, in partnership with Nike, has introduced a department-wide brand identity system designed to better define and distinguish what is already a nationally prominent collegiate brand.

The Georgia Athletic Association worked in close consultation with Nike over a 15-month period in order to develop an innovative and cohesive athletic brand identity that reflects the unique qualities of Georgia Athletics while promoting a consistent and unified look across all sports.:

http://www.georgiadogs.com/m/ot/brand-identity.html#?w=640

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/geo/genrel/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/digital-art-sheet.pdf

http://www.examiner.com/article/geo...rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Slideshow... http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/georgia-bulldogs-unveils-new-nike-uniform-system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom