UConn Kansas Travel | The Boneyard

UConn Kansas Travel

Reaction Score
Getting jacked up to head down to Kansas in a couple months! Do we have any updates on potential flights going down there out of Bradley or New Haven / any UConn ticket sections?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Why would there be a UConn ticket section? It's a Kansas home game. Any UConn fans going will be scattered around the building depending on when, where and how they got their tickets other than the handful that any road team in college basketball gets behind their bench.

Potential flights? Sure. Some new info.

Get on the list before its too late

Reaction Score
Gotta imagine the best bet will be to fly to Kansas City and rent a car.

I'm not seeing anything direct from anywhere in-state.
It's about a 50 minute drive from the airport to Lawrence. Not bad.

I would be surprised if there are any airlines that fly direct from Bradley to Kansas City. Delta is the only airline that flies direct from Boston to Kansas City. I'd imagine there are many direct flights out of Kennedy, Laguardia or Newark to Kansas City.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Gotta imagine the best bet will be to fly to Kansas City and rent a car.

I'm not seeing anything direct from anywhere in-state.
That's the only option. Wherever you fly from. MCI (KC airport) is brand new, north and west of KC. The drive to Lawrence is easy, about an hour and bypasses KC. If not going to KC, take I-435 south to I-70 west. There are two exits for Lawrence. The first takes you through North Lawrence, which is agricultural/industrial, then across the river to downtown. The second drops you in a more residential part of town, leading to Iowa street which is the western border of campus. If you are staying in KC and driving to AFH, take the 2nd one.

Happy to provide info for anyone going. Seems like several people were staying at the Oread hotel, which is walkable to AFH (there will be hills) on a route that winds through most of campus. More hotels downtown. I stayed at the Townplace Suites on New Hampshire last time. Good spot, free parking.

Reaction Score
Flights out of New York are plentiful and cheap. Flights out of Boston aren't bad either but limited to a couple Delta frequencies. I'm probably taking one out of LGA the morning of 12/1

Reaction Score
At some point I will probably post a guide to games at the Phog and staying in Lawrence/ KC but if anyone has any questions feel free to dm me. Spent four years in Lawrence and live in kc and go back for 5-6 games a year.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
At some point I will probably post a guide to games at the Phog and staying in Lawrence/ KC but if anyone has any questions feel free to dm me. Spent four years in Lawrence and live in kc and go back for 5-6 games a year.
Send them all to the Bullwinkle. Or Louise's West.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why would there be a UConn ticket section? It's a Kansas home game. Any UConn fans going will be scattered around the building depending on when, where and how they got their tickets other than the handful that any road team in college basketball gets behind their bench.
I'm pretty sure road teams have a chunk available in the nose bleeds, too. That's where I sat in the handful of road games where I got tickets through the school. I believe it's in section 11 at Gampel.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure road teams have a chunk available in the nose bleeds, too. That's where I sat in the handful of road games where I got tickets through the school. I believe it's in section 11 at Gampel.
Chunk does not = even a 1/3 section

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You're correct here. I don't think I've ever seen any noticeable opposing fan section at AFH. Mizzou probably did best but were still scattered. That said, it seems UConn fans are treating it as a rare opportunity. So I expect our fans to be more numerous than is normal for a team so distant.

You going?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I honestly think a 1/3 of a section qualifies as a chunk. I sat in visitor seats I bought from UConn in the RAC that were way up there.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Wheel my friend.
I was joking about those two. I sincerely suggested The Wheel in a prior thread. Plus it's walkable from the Oread, for pre-gaming. Highly recommend Lawrence Beer Company for any IPA drinkers, but not a pre-game spot unless you're driving to AFH.

Reaction Score
I was joking about those two. I sincerely suggested The Wheel in a prior thread. Plus it's walkable from the Oread, for pre-gaming. Highly recommend Lawrence Beer Company for any IPA drinkers, but not a pre-game spot unless you're driving to AFH.
Food there is great (old Pachmamas chef) I am a Freestate guy though through and through.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Food there is great (old Pachmamas chef) I am a Freestate guy though through and through.
I loved Free State in the early 90s but the beer isn’t as good. Still love it for the nostalgia and location. Drank a lot of beer there.

Reaction Score
Reconfirmed tickets with ex-work colleague/KU season ticket holder, booked flights, and reserved room at Tru Hilton in case not staying at friend’s Lawrence home.

@kansashusky @HuskyHawk Others, In or nearby Kansas City KS or MO, which areas are good to consider staying for 1 night (Thur 11/30)? Power & Light district, Country Club Plaza areas worthwhile? TIA

Reaction Score
Reconfirmed tickets with ex-work colleague/KU season ticket holder, booked flights, and reserved room at Tru Hilton in case not staying at friend’s Lawrence home.

@kansashusky @HuskyHawk Others, In or nearby Kansas City KS or MO, which areas are good to consider staying for 1 night (Thur 11/30)? Power & Light district, Country Club Plaza areas worthwhile? TIA
Plaza is more retail and shopping whereas power and light is the heart of downtown, more sports bars. Can’t go wrong with either. I would lean plaza

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I don't live there anymore. I'd lean Plaza as quieter, more family friendly. The other option is Crown Center, which is near the WWI museum and Union Station. Depends on what you want to do. If you just want a place to sleep and head to Lawrence early Friday, then maybe a cheaper hotel in Johnson Cty. KS. Or just go straight to Lawrence. There is a Townplace Suites on New Hampshire in Lawrence with free parking right downtown.

If staying in KC area there are two routes to Lawrence, I-70 from the downtown area, and K-10, which starts a little south near Lenexa/Olathe at the point where 435 turns east.

Reaction Score
My wife has a cousin who lives out in Lawrence and we can stay with them, so I’m considering going, but what are ticket prices? We’d fly out of Boston. Maybe cousin is KU season ticket holder and can get us some- my wife & I would go so would need 2 tickets

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My wife has a cousin who lives out in Lawrence and we can stay with them, so I’m considering going, but what are ticket prices? We’d fly out of Boston. Maybe cousin is KU season ticket holder and can get us some- my wife & I would go so would need 2 tickets
I'm still trying to get tickets. My friend in KC couldn't get them because the season ticket holders he knows aren't parting with them.

I checked Ace, StubHub etc. Decent tickets upper sideline are going for $500+ and those were the worst sideline seats way up top. Corner and end seats are cheaper, but those are really not great and you may be with the students.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Looks like I'm going. Friend said to book flights and he'll handle the tickets. Hoping to see some of you there. Currently thinking of wearing a UConn hockey jersey with a Jayhawk hat (but I don't own one). Seems better than a Jayhawk 1/4 zip and UConn 2023 Champion hat.

I will be rooting for the Huskies. No worries about that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom