UConn is NEVER getting invited to the ACC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn is NEVER getting invited to the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Facts are not in our favor.
40,000 seat off-campus stadium, poor showing in the stands and on the field in a BCS bowl.
Did not sell out our student section at the Final Four.
Football schools and BC blocking us in the ACC.
What am I missing?

A lot.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
"Never say never" - Justin Bieber

With apologies to Sports Illustrated...

Sign of the Apocalypse: Justin Bieber being quoted in a conference realignment discussion.

Reaction Score
Yes, they were in quotes. "We blocked UConn." "Coach K. and Brodhead have limited influence."

UConn came up, BC blocked them. Duke's influence was blunted.

You can say this is all an exaggeration in Flipper's mind, but you can't say the quotes aren't there.

Incorrect. This is what the article states:

"The second target was Connecticut, which was part of the Northeast footprint the ACC wanted, and was coming off the daily double of a BCS bid in football and a championship in men’s basketball (the third for Jim Calhoun)."

The Writer did not quote Swofford or GDF but merely summarized the ACC strategy. Unless you're privy to actual sources--verification--I'm not buying it. For one, GDF made it very clear at the beginning of the piece that Football was the sole objective for ACC expansion.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nonsense. I attack posters who intentionally misrepresent other's opinions so they can ridicule them. Basically, you.

You ignore the points I make unless you sense an opportunity to misrepresent them and ridicule me.

example: I have repeatedly stated why UMass is a bad idea. You ignored those responses and instead chose to call anyone who opposes UMass a hypocrite for behaving like BCU.

Opposing UMass because we don't want the local competition is behaving exactly like BCU.

For the last slot, I would pick UMass over UCF. I like anchor state schools over compass schools. I don't think a program like UCF or ECU gets materially better in the Big East simply because of who they are. I also think that most of UCF's improvement would come at the expense of USF.

I don't feel that strongly on this issue, which is why I ignored your prior rantings.

Reaction Score
I think UCF, with George O'Leary coaching, will be at the top end of the conference consistently. They can recruit in Orlando and he can coach with the very best.

Reaction Score
I'm interested in your inside-track to the meaning of life.

Here's mine.

The meaning of life constitutes a philosophical question concerning the purpose and significance of life or existence in general. This concept can be expressed through a variety of related questions, such as "Why are we here?", "What is life all about?", and "What is the meaning of it all?"

So, WHY ARE YOU HERE?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The school and the fanbase need to move on from that option as an alternative. It is abundantly clear from the Blaudschon and Gray articles that there is a level of opposition within the ACC that precludes UConn EVER getting invited. That choice is off the table.

So the school can search for the next best option, or it can continue to pursue a strategy that has ZERO chance of success.

I've agreed with you on some of your points. And certainly examining what steps are available to salvage the BE is one of them. One thing I hope you can clarify for me. You have stated your disapproval of President Herbst for, as you described it, begging to get into the ACC. I would like to know your definition of begging.

I can't imagine President Herbst posturing with anyone the way you have postured yourself on this forum. I think your assertion of her as begging is misplaced. What she has done has been to openly state her position. That is far different than begging. It is about strategy and how to approach a problem Her candidness has strategic advantages and disadvantages. This approach may differ from your approach to things. But I don't see how anyone can consider it begging. If I had to make a case for someone who is a beggar it seems like you are constantly begging the rest of us to get on the same page as you.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Here's mine.

The meaning of life constitutes a philosophical question concerning the purpose and significance of life or existence in general. This concept can be expressed through a variety of related questions, such as "Why are we here?", "What is life all about?", and "What is the meaning of it all?"

So, WHY ARE YOU HERE?
This is exactly what I asked the germs when I got the last cold. And you know what their response was? They made me sneeze. And when someone said "God bless me", the meaning of life went full circle.

Reaction Score
The meaning of life constitutes a philosophical question concerning the purpose and significance of life or existence in general.

Human perception is finite. Existence in general is something the Frogs concern themselves with.

This concept can be expressed through a variety of related questions, such as "Why are we here?", "What is life all about?", and "What is the meaning of it all?"

To seek the higher things in life but again, if the sum total of human action--"existence in general" is your idea of philosophical inquiry, its a non sequitur.

So, WHY ARE YOU HERE?

Desmond Conner once said something about ACC capitulation.

Reaction Score
Incorrect. This is what the article states:

"The second target was Connecticut, which was part of the Northeast footprint the ACC wanted, and was coming off the daily double of a BCS bid in football and a championship in men’s basketball (the third for Jim Calhoun)."

The Writer did not quote Swofford or GDF but merely summarized the ACC strategy. Unless you're privy to actual sources--verification--I'm not buying it. For one, GDF made it very clear at the beginning of the piece that Football was the sole objective for ACC expansion.

The writer didn't quote GDF? Hilarious. He did.

Reaction Score
Opposing UMass because we don't want the local competition is behaving exactly like BCU.

For the last slot, I would pick UMass over UCF. I like anchor state schools over compass schools. I don't think a program like UCF or ECU gets materially better in the Big East simply because of who they are. I also think that most of UCF's improvement would come at the expense of USF.

I don't feel that strongly on this issue, which is why I ignored your prior rantings.
That's not why I oppose UMass, that's you misrepresenting my opinion. Exactly what you accuse me of doing.

If you don't care about our BCS status why don't you just say so.

UCF has a top 25 finish from last year. Which is exactly what we need to remain a BCS conference. How does UMass help us in the computers?

Reaction Score
You're blind

I regularly follow the Globe as a Boston resident and I am very familiar with the Writer's style. He did not quote GDF or Swofford pertaining to UConn as the "2nd choice".

Here is the link. On page 3 under "Master Plan devised":

http://articles.boston.com/2011-10-09/sports/30261029_1_acc-officials-expansion-bcs/2

Do you see that "2nd choice" quote being attributed to Swofford or GDF? He merely relied on conjectural arguments based on a predetermined ideas. Given his history, it's not exactly a huge leap.

GDF was quoted as saying: "We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’"

This doesn't imply that UConn was the "2nd choice" in the ACC selection process. Maybe a few programs in North Carolina argued for UConn's inclusion but the article failed to cite actual documents or executives with the assertion.

Not exactly objective journalism here.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Things don't change though. All the UConn principals from 2003 are gone, and there is still a solid anti-UConn block within the ACC. There is nothing we can do about it.
For someone who constantly rails against giving up, that sounds an awful lot like giving up.

Things do change. The conferences are all shifting. The players involved are all shifting... with the exception of those at BC. UConn trying to tear down whatever silly pettiness BC has built up over the years is a good thing. UConn needs to show BC, and the rest of the ACC, why UConn can be a benefit to all involved. Throwing your hands up and saying it's not even worth having those conversations is beyond closed minded.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
For someone who constantly rails against giving up, that sounds an awful lot like giving up.

Things do change. The conferences are all shifting. The players involved are all shifting... with the exception of those at BC. UConn trying to tear down whatever silly pettiness BC has built up over the years is a good thing. UConn needs to show BC, and the rest of the ACC, why UConn can be a benefit to all involved. Throwing your hands up and saying it's not even worth having those conversations is beyond closed minded.

You think UConn can overcome a virulent opponent that is already on the inside? Those sales are tough to make.

Reaction Score
You continue to reach new heights of being insufferable that I never knew were possible to reach.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
stop taking one man's hatred of Herbst and his totally biased opinion so seriously

my guess he's wrong in life way more often than not

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is worth noting that the Big East has been talking about a serious lockup for several days now, and Navy and Air Force are going to put serious pressure on the conference to do something like that. It is possible that the Big East 6 will be coming off the market for expansion within a week.

Funny how there is not even a whiff of a rumor of anyone coming to rescue us. If the ACC or B1G wanted to expand, now would be the time.

Reaction Score
I agree. UConn just has to stay in the mix, which means figure out a way to make the Big East work.
Simply put Herbst frequently has said we're exploring all our options.
If UConn doesn't get the desired ACC invite, they can fall way back on whatever is left of the BE. Which may not be much.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Simply put Herbst frequently has said we're exploring all our options.
If UConn doesn't get the desired ACC invite, they can fall way back on whatever is left of the BE. Which may not be much.

When do we institute the fallback plan? Next year? 5 years? When?

Reaction Score
Is this the NelsonMuntz know-it-all board? The smartest man in the world gracing us with his presence, so much smarter than President Herbst? How many ACC presidents have you spoken to Nelson? Come on, fess up, you're the smartest guy. Tell us how many, cuz then we just might believe you a little more than President Herbst.

Oh wait, you haven't spoken to any.

Signed

Insufferable lurkers everywhere

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Is this the NelsonMuntz know-it-all board? The smartest man in the world gracing us with his presence, so much smarter than President Herbst. How many ACC presidents have you spoken to Nelson? Come on, fess up, you're the smartest guy. Tell us how many, cuz then we just might believe you a little more than President Herbst.

Oh wait, you haven't spoken to any.

Signed

Insufferable lurkers everywhere

Excellent point. So I guess we actually are in the ACC then, and I just got it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom