UConn is NEVER getting invited to the ACC | The Boneyard

UConn is NEVER getting invited to the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The school and the fanbase need to move on from that option as an alternative. It is abundantly clear from the Blaudschon and Gray articles that there is a level of opposition within the ACC that precludes UConn EVER getting invited. That choice is off the table.

So the school can search for the next best option, or it can continue to pursue a strategy that has ZERO chance of success.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
You sound like the k-state student section at basketball games: DOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
We will if we beg, even harder this time

Reaction Score
Let's be careful with our use of "never." Some of the people who are voting against UConn are older, and if the ACC gets poached (a big if), they'll turn to UConn.

I certainly don't think this is over, and I hesitate to use "never." About two weeks ago we were hearing the same thing about TCU to Big 12.

Reaction Score
How about one of us has a kid, teaches him how to play basketball, he goes to BCU and plays hoops.

We then take up a collection and pay him to lose on purpose, BCU gets booted from the ACC and then we're in.

Who's with me?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I won't lose hope of it happening one day. If the quote from Swofford in the Gray article is accurate and the ACC wants the team right in ESPN's backyard, the UConn has the support of the commish, and that is a very powerful asset to have.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The school and the fanbase need to move on from that option as an alternative. It is abundantly clear from the Blaudschon and Gray articles that there is a level of opposition within the ACC that precludes UConn EVER getting invited. That choice is off the table.

So the school can search for the next best option, or it can continue to pursue a strategy that has ZERO chance of success.
Never is a long time. I'm sure you've considered all the permutations and variables for the remainder of time though to come up with your definitive conclusion. Why am I even responding? You are essentially trolling with such ridiculous definitive statements that you have absolutely zero reason to be so definitive about.

If you want to talk about probabilities over time, that's another discussion. Today? Is membership in the ACC imminent? Not at all. But to you that equates to never, and UConn should abandon all discussion on the topic. And god forbid UConn does try to have proactive discussion, then you simply twist that in to "begging".

You keep going back to your supposed business prowess. And you are basically saying that, after a couple of weeks in to a potentially years long negotiation, UConn should stop having discussions with the ACC because so-and-so wrote and article that wasn't favorable. You are right. Just give up on that avenue. :rolleyes: Maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't, but walking away from all discussion on it because it will "never" happen is just stupid.

Reaction Score
"Never" just ignores the intricacies of a constantly fluctuating situation. At the very least, unless the SEC turns to the ACC for a 14th, there's almost no chance it happens in the next 2-3 years. After that, who knows -- but if we can't find a way to stay in an AQ conference, we're not going to be a candidate for further expansion.

Reaction Score
How about one of us has a kid, teaches him how to play basketball, he goes to BCU and plays hoops.

We then take up a collection and pay him to lose on purpose, BCU gets booted from the ACC and then we're in.

Who's with me?

My son is 2...he says he's good to go with this plan.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
"Never" just ignores the intricacies of a constantly fluctuating situation. At the very least, unless the SEC turns to the ACC for a 14th, there's almost no chance it happens in the next 2-3 years. After that, who knows -- but if we can't find a way to stay in an AQ conference, we're not going to be a candidate for further expansion.

I agree. UConn just has to stay in the mix, which means figure out a way to make the Big East work.

Reaction Score
I agree. UConn just has to stay in the mix, which means figure out a way to make the Big East work.

Fair enough, but I'm not sure there's anyone we can add that can save the BCS bid.

Reaction Score
better plan, have him go to bc and start saying things in the press like "i wish our athletic department would stop being childish. it would be nice to play a regional rival. god our ad is immature."

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
In general you are correct. But -- and here's the catch -- the two teams added do not address the ACC's weakness in football. They will add some basketball strength but not necessarily NCAA tourney results.

All UConn can do is what it needs to do: improve the brand. A succession plan for Jim Calhoun, a practice facility, and XL refurb plan -- this all comes to a head in a couple years.

In football there is the assumption the Coach PP is a stop gap not a long-term solution.

I'm abig believer UConn needs to do something daring like the UConn Network and think of itself as a premium brand. I can list countless reason why there's room for another regional sports network that represents CT with CT (movies, drama, arts) and sports-oriented content and adds programming as diverse as the Red Claws, the Mohegun Sun, Pawtucket, the PC Friars, America East, the Portland Pirates, UMess, some AHL, and yes, to cover start up costs is mandated and run in conjunction with a premium partner. ESPN is the great evil in all this but there's a silver lining here if the right people grasp the vision and run with it. NESN has the ACC contract now and needs some solid competition form a BE Tier 3 Network.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree with the others. How can you say never, when we were evidently the 2nd choice after Syracuse even this summer? BC has probably just destroyed any influence it may have had with Flipper's idiotic interview, which made the ACC look bad. Do you think the rest of the conference will accommodate him if the SEC poaches a team? No way. They would probably insist that UConn be added to show that neither BC nor ESPN is driving the decision. Those articles convinced me even more that we are next in line.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Fair enough, but I'm not sure there's anyone we can add that can save the BCS bid.

If the BE adds Houston, SMU and Boise with the service academies there's no other "6th" conference to compete for the last BCS bid. The BCS rules are written now to assume 6 conferences. And there's the ND alignment which doesn't include a BYU provision but could in a pinch.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

yawn.

Reaction Score
If thats really the case, then expansion is a moot point. Semi-Independence in football with an agreement among current Big East teams to play each other, maybe with one Bowl Tie-In would be the best option. If we are never going to retain the BCS bid, I would rather bolster our schedule with quality programs ala Notre Dame, than play ECU. At least, and this is really the most important thing as a fan, it would be fun to watch. Hope we can garner at large bids to bowls some years. Keep the Big East strong in other sports with a Butler/Xavier add and call it a day.

Reaction Score
Is this NEVER as solid as your proclamation that Texas A&M would NEVER get into the SEC?

Reaction Score
How can you say never, when we were evidently the 2nd choice after Syracuse even this summer? BC has probably just destroyed any influence it may have had with Flipper's idiotic interview, which made the ACC look bad. Do you think the rest of the conference will accommodate him if the SEC poaches a team?

I would never say never but the prospects don't look promising.

Suppose for a moment that UConn was really the 2nd choice for the recent ACC expansion. Do you really think the Football-first Schools like FSU, Clemson, VT, Miami and GT would ever support UConn's membership?

Secondly, GDF may have a tattoo on his forehead with the words "No one in my family has ever grown taller than 5' 5''" but it does appear that he has some clout in the ACC.

If the SEC poaches an ACC team, it doesn't necessarily mean UConn will next replacement option in the queue.

Reaction Score
If thats really the case, then expansion is a moot point. Semi-Independence in football with an agreement among current Big East teams to play each other, maybe with one Bowl Tie-In would be the best option. If we are never going to retain the BCS bid, I would rather bolster our schedule with quality programs ala Notre Dame, than play ECU. At least, and this is really the most important thing as a fan, it would be fun to watch. Hope we can garner at large bids to bowls some years. Keep the Big East strong in other sports with a Butler/Xavier add and call it a day.

That assumes you can put together such a schedule and get recruits to remain competitive. Under the current crappy system, the top 6 conferences get a BCS bowl. Which conference will move past the Big East? I don't see it, especially if we add a team like Boise State. I also believe that UCF and USF are going to be monster programs. High school football in Florida is unbelievable. Having programs in Tampa and Orlando should also help UConn's recruiting base.

The bigger concern IMAO is can the conference generate enough fan interest and TV money to remain stable. Schools will always move "up" if that means more money long term. Again, Notre Dame could help by simply agreeing to play 3-4 Big East teams a year, even if that meant the Big East giving up 2 away games to get 1 home game. We all agree Notre Dame won't join the Big East for football, which would solve all the problems, but if they won't help out, get rid of 'em.

If the new and improved Big East starts having success, the ACC will coming looking, again.

Reaction Score

Best option, as Waylon says, is to take in teams that could best keep the BCS, and then perform strongly amongst them, perhaps be consistently in the Top 2-3 schools of a 12 team conference. UCF (to get to 2 Florida schools), Houston/SMU (to get a presence in Texas), Navy/Air Force. Boise if they'll accept, BYU if they'll accept. Army if not.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

This would wipe out the UConn athletic program, and is exactly the direction we are going.

Reaction Score
Best option, as Waylon says, is to take in teams that could best keep the BCS, and then perform strongly amongst them, perhaps be consistently in the Top 2-3 schools of a 12 team conference. UCF (to get to 2 Florida schools), Houston/SMU (to get a presence in Texas), Navy/Air Force. Boise if they'll accept, BYU if they'll accept. Army if not.

Waylon says UMass should be on the list, and left out Boise State. That's our best option?

We should have went after Baylor, ISU, and the Kansas schools when he had the chance and the Big 12 was faltering.

Now we need to act in a position of strength and go after BYU, Boise, UCF and Navy first and foremost.

Temple, ECU, Houston, SMU, they can wait. We need schools the computers like and those schools fit the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom