UCONN - Iowa post game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Iowa post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The quality that I love in Ducharme is that she is never really afraid of big moments, a gripe we’ve had as fans about several players in the past few years. Tonight, she hit a huge 3 to halt the Iowa run at the end of the first half. And then she scored 10 points in the last 6 minutes of the fourth quarter. I love a player whose willing to take those big shots in the big moments.

Great breakout performance from her! She’s going to elevate our team once she’s consistently back to 100%.

Shoutout to the team as a whole, everybody stepped up and played their roles. My only frustration was the 2 or 3 turnovers by Muhl that led to uncontested layups. But I’d say her assists helped to erase those mistakes!
Apparently Nika was not feeling well today

Reaction Score
There were 19 points from the bench today :)

Ayanna is coming right along. She’s looking better every game
A win and STILL room for improvment. To hold the line and shoot your way out of their first real predicament, was inspirational. Five players in double figures told the tale. Aubrey's potential is still off the charts. When she can attack the basket and stop for a pull-up, she will freeze the defender every time. Keep shooting in practice.

Reaction Score
CD just said on the radio that Nika was SICK today! Played the whole game. I think we should give her a pass on the 6 TO's
Not surprised as Nika seemed a step slow but hung in there well. Nika also didn't drive much against the zone which might have resulted in more trips to the foul line earlier in the game. Iowa tried hard to go inside out most of the game with good results. We were not able to run in this game nor stole the ball for easy break-a-ways so this game tested our half-court offense that earlier games this season didn't require. We passed a tough test.

We dominated the defensive rebounds with Edwards having a great season on the boards. She is a different player this year and also looks for her shot. That carried us for much of the first half. She should teach taking charges as she is a master at it!

We are a very deep seven with no drop off. When Dorka returns we have the missing size to play against anybody.

Reaction Score
Far too exciting for my taste LOL. Seriously tho, it was like a heavyweight battle of body blows. UCONN had a great Q1, crappy start to Q3 that turned into a great quarter, and Iowa had a great Q2.

Overall, a tremendous win. Much closer than most of us I think thought. It goes to show how good a team who is blessed with talented upperclassmen who have played together for several years (Iowa) can be when they are clicking. They are way more than Just Clark and Czinano. 13-36 from 3 for Iowa - 36% - a bit high for my taste - was hoping someone would cover that kid Martin LOL. They are a really tough team to play.

But UCONN found their sea legs and ended up 8-20 (40%).

A fantastic learning experience for the team. The win was incredible, but Geno will be able to go back over the tape for the team and show then things that need improvement. This team is super focused and seems incredibly coachable so I expect good things from that.

Azzi and Lou pretty much no-shows offensively in H1. Much better in H2. BUT my POG is Aaliyah. Double double and 6 assists to boot. she was a monster. Nika is well on her way to being one of my favorite all time PG's for UCONN. only 2 points and 6 TO's BUT 13 assists? COME ON. Ridiculous in a great way. Aubrey was great in the 1st half, but kind of quiet for stretches. Not her best game, but I think it will be hard to take her out of the starting lineup when Dorka comes back.

And how about Caroline? Talk about finding your sea legs. She did a lot of good things on the floor including going 3-6 from 3 and scoring 15 points. Ayanna continues to get better each game as well.

Overall a great win. Not a great MOV, but what a gutty comeback from the team - no quit in these guys.
That was by far Iowa's best played game this season. Kate Martin had a 4 pt high and hit a ton of 3's, and had 20 points in todays game. Everyone played well.

Reaction Score
UConn looked so bad in the 2nd quarter, yet they regrouped and looked really good in the 2nd half and got a quality win. It will be interesting when Dorka gets back to see all the possible combinations out on the floor. The small lineup was the answer today,

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Great game against a team who played their best game by far! Kate Martin with a career high 20 pts and 6-6 from the arc-just insane! In fact, anyone not named Clark was 11-23 from the arc! Iowa played incredible defense, better than I have ever seen them play.
As noted by others, this team was behind and listened to the coaching staff (yes, those were very good time outs by Geno!) and then executed. They are maturing right before our eyes. Everyone has stepped up in a huge way and I know I speak form many when I say we LOVE this team!

The trip home just became all that much nicer.

Reaction Score
Echoing all the praise for Ducharme, absolutely fearless player who got her sea legs back just in time. I could be wrong but I think Auriemma yelled for her to get the inbounds pass late, knowing Iowa had to foul there.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Azzi, Lou, Caroline saved their best shooting for when it counted. Azzi dropped a 3 pt dagger to get us the lead back in the 3rd, and when Iowa answered, she answered right back. Lou and CD hit their 3s exactly when we needed them in the 4th. These women play their best when the pressure is on, and it was on today. We got no shrinking lilies on this team.
Please don't gild the violets, my friend. ;)

Reaction Score
It was delightful to see the team put up a fight. Fatigue can cause the periods of poor concentration and ”unforced errors”. When more players are healthy and the bench can provide breathers, this team is going to get a lot better! This season is already more exciting than I thought it would be. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Most impressive 11 point run to tie, showed toughness, but they never should have been down that much. Jumped to an early lead and tried to coast.

Reaction Score
Great team win!! Checking in with my doctor first thing tomorrow for an EKG and a stress test.
:confused::rolleyes:

Awesome job by AE! How about back to back games draining those jumpers! I thought that AE and Patterson did a tremendous job on Czizano. AE got hosed on that blocking foul. Czizano dipped her shoulder. I heard AE say, no problem. I will just take a charge on your bet player. She will later take a charge against Clark. Love it!

Nika surprised me. After starting the game with a few turnovers, she had 13 assists? Wowzers! Glad that she didn’t get down on herself, while also guarding one of the best offensive players in the country.

Azzi, money in the second half. CD found her footing and drained some big shots along with playing sound defense.

Aubrey did a good job in the first half. I would like her to be more decisive and trust herself. As they play more games and she gets more reps, it will come togther.

Iowa is a good team. Great shooters. However, if you run them off the 3 line and face guard Clark, they look discombobulated. I thought that UCONN was a little tired, but they persevered.

Another top 10 win in the books. On..On..On to the next one! Great job, ladies!

What a great weekend! The Huskies win and I had the pleasure of passing Napheesa, hubby and little Napheesa in Times Square yesterday on my way to see the MJ play. ;)
Hey, GOAT! I am a doctor, and take it from me, that game WAS your stress test. If you’re with us you’re good!

Reaction Score
Off topic, but with words in this thread like “Moxy” and “Yeoman,” just what is our average age? LOL

Reminds me of the Big Bang Theory when William Shatner tells Penny that he likes her moxy. She responds with “I like your old man words.”

Reaction Score
Oh my god I thought the game was at 3 and I missed it!!! Thanks for the great summaries y’all

So disappointed in myself smh. Did Nika guard Clark?
Yes, and she was fouling her earlier on. I would watch the full game on youtube tomorrow.

Reaction Score
The one word forbidden in the UCONN locker room: DISCOURAGED
The one word demanded in the UCONN locker room: CONFIDENT
This team was unphased & never discouraged by the 11 point deficit. Despite a futile early effort, the shooters kept shooting with confidence until the ball started dropping.
It must be the culture that Geno has instilled at UCONN.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Official box score. UConn shot 86% in the third quarter. Caroline with the highest +/- :cool:

EF9CE4AD-E977-47AA-842A-6D193A302C09.jpeg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This play to me was the most amazing for many reasons

1) Caroline just coming off her own 3pt shot gives up the chance for the go ahead 3pt shot for a better 3pt shot to Lou in the corner

2) Caroline could have been in ball hawk mode just back from a long layoff and passed to her "minutes" competitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duke79

Top Bottom