UCONN - Iowa post game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Iowa post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aaliyah was clearly the badass and everybody contributed big time today but I have to give a shout out to Nika. I was surprised that Geno had her as primary defender on Caitlin the whole game. She made Caitlin work and towards the end shut her movement down more than once. She never lost her cool and finished with only two fouls. 6 TO's, but again, it didn't shake her, she just kept on going at it. And how about her 13 assists making her the only player in Uconn history to have back to back to back double digit assist games!

Reaction Score
My brief thoughts are that I loved that when the chips were down and Iowa was up 11, Geno called a TO and the team came storming back to tie and then take the lead. It was a good TO and it was nice to see the team grit down and get it done. These are the types of games that you carry with you into the post season. Well done. And of course Azzi and Lou coming alive in the 2nd half was awesome too.

Reaction Score
Azzi, Lou, Caroline saved their best shooting for when it counted. Azzi dropped a 3 pt dagger to get us the lead back in the 3rd, and when Iowa answered, she answered right back. Lou and CD hit their 3s exactly when we needed them in the 4th. These women play their best when the pressure is on, and it was on today. We got no shrinking lilies on this team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
At the half, I commented in the chat that Iowa guards were hitting shots ours weren't.

2nd half - Azzi 22, Lou 9, CD 13 points (if my calcs are correct)
Is this not the 3rd time Azzi scored exactly 22 in a half?

Guessing Azzi did not set her alarm clock correctly.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Don't want to overstate the value of my contribution to the win, but some may remember my go to beverage during UCONN games is Mike's Hard Lemonade, Mango flavor. I nursed one during first half...then open a new one at start of 3rd qtr and the Huskies turned things around... then another at start of 4th quarter and the Huskies cemented the W...

Great Game
So Happy to play my small part!!! ;););););)

Go Huskies... love this Team!!!
We are all eternally grateful to you for a yeoman effort. :confused:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
From the radio: CD - w/Wayne

Great game - felt like an NCAA tournament game. Two great offenses.

AE - was a monster. Took that late charge. That's what we need. Tremendous start to finish. Lull in 3rd, but regrouped.

Fudd - rough half. If you'd told me we'd still be in game w/guards scoring 2? Crazy. Resilient. Fought and fought. Fresh - no threes. Exhausted, threes

Our movement better in second half. Lot of pass and stand in first. They played more zone in 2nd half. We were able to move, ball screens. Azzi made a pull up and that 3...

Caroline played great. Knocked in big shots

Patterson - 2 OR

Our defense... Made it hard, held post players (20 and 14 played great).
Feels like it's midnight and it's only noon. :)

NM - worried about first dumb foul. Finished with 2. Not her best game. Feeling a little under the weather. She is the motor that makes us go.

Reaction Score
My oh my. What a fun game to watch and fitting to be a tournament finals matchup. This team really proved something today. Build a lead; see it evaporate and be down 11, then never get down on themselves and find their way back to tie the game. Then push ahead with timely buckets by Lou and Caroline. Everyone made contributions and key plays throughout the game.

Freshman or Sophomore AEdwards would've lost the match up against old school and experienced Czinano but today she was amazing, so smooth with her elbow jumper so much better in the post and her defense and rebounding was on full display.

Nika is a warrior. Just tough as they come.

Lou continues to hit timely shots, even when she misses a few in a row she will just keep playing and what's great about her is that at some point even when you think she hasn't done that much offensively you look at the box score and she's in double figures. Defense also getting better.

Aubrey is playing great and her defensive presence alone helps Nika and the guards tremendously as it gives them some time off against the better players. In the first half Aubrey and Edwards carried the team.

Caroline making that post bucket and hitting those threes had me shouting with joy. She is just a baller. Timely plays, timely buckets, timely defense. She may not be back to full strength but we saw a glimpse of how this team can be a terror with CD, Azzi, and Lou on the floor.

My prediction is that Patterson will end up being one of my favorite players on this team. She is great on defense and ferocious on the boards. She can make the layups when all the attention is going toward Azzi or the other guards are driving. Really pleased with her development. Geno trusts her so much even in a big game like todays.

Azzi is scary good when she is on. One stretch in the 3rd Qtr reminded me of Paige in the NC State game where she just couldn't be stopped.

Like everyone else has said. There's just something special about this team. Love them and I now know why Geno is smiling so much these days. (It is a travesty that Paige and Ice can't play this year).

Reaction Score
Exciting game with many ebbs and flows in scoring. A great team win with everyone scoring and contributing to the victory. Aaliyah had another wonderful performance with 20 pts and 12 reb along with 6 assists. After falling behind by 11 pts in the 3rd quarter, the team came back strong led by Azzi (24 pts). Five players scored in double figures. It was nice to see Caroline have a good game with 15 pts. Nika continues to be an assist machine with 13.

Congratulations to UCONN for winning the 2022 Phil Knight Legacy Tournament Championship. Well played.

Reaction Score
The quality that I love in Ducharme is that she is never really afraid of big moments, a gripe we’ve had as fans about several players in the past few years. Tonight, she hit a huge 3 to halt the Iowa run at the end of the first half. And then she scored 10 points in the last 6 minutes of the fourth quarter. I love a player whose willing to take those big shots in the big moments.

Great breakout performance from her! She’s going to elevate our team once she’s consistently back to 100%.

Shoutout to the team as a whole, everybody stepped up and played their roles. My only frustration was the 2 or 3 turnovers by Muhl that led to uncontested layups. But I’d say her assists helped to erase those mistakes!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I'm a wreck! What a game! Everyone was better than good. Minutes are going to be hard to come by on this team -- they will have to be earned! With Caroline rounding into form, Dorka coming back, Aubrey being great, etc. etc. Nika is an assist machine, and a defensive goddess. Azzi is Azzi -- she just needs to remember that sometimes. Edwards is a beast -- and a shooter, so far! Lou can flat out score. Ayanna gives hustle minutes. Have I missed anyone? :)
You neglected to mention the tireless efforts of @PAHuskyFan , consuming that much lemonade. Even the name says it's HARD. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom