UCONN in the NBA - 2023/24 Season | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UCONN in the NBA - 2023/24 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn't like that Andre was drafted by MIL (i really hoped for Denver or Indiana), and i wasn't thrilled with the pels for Hawk.

I'm glad i was so wrong. They're both getting a chance, and that's more than a lot of rookies get (especially for 2nd rounders). Things really broke right for Hawk with the short term injuries to the guys in front of him. By the time Murphy & CJ are back, Jordan will have been established for a while.

caw

Reaction Score
Andre starting again in today's game

The way they are using him is so odd. He goes from zero minutes to starter to zero minutes to starter and it’s not for rest. Just so very strange.

Reaction Score
The way they are using him is so odd. He goes from zero minutes to starter to zero minutes to starter and it’s not for rest. Just so very strange.
Strange indeed. Only logged 12 minutes as a starter today and had minimal contributions according to the box score.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I read that the coach started Andre so he doesn't have to mess with his bench rotation.
He didn't play many minutes, and basically had a zero stat line. One rebound and nothing else the last time I looked.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I read that the coach started Andre so he doesn't have to mess with his bench rotation.

I think Griffin is 50/50 to finish the season. I don't think Griffin has the game planning chops or the leadership to be an NBA Head Coach, and the Bucks don't have a big window remaining to win another title. A lot of the defensive issues are because of changes Griffin made, and Griffin effectively fired a long-time, respected assistant and former head coach in Terry Stotts because Griffin had a tantrum in a practice, and then made it seem like it was Stotts' idea to leave. Griffin follows that up with getting into it with Giannis at the scorer's table during a game.

Giannis is too nice, but Lillard will demand Griffin get fired immediately if Griffin ever tries to show up Lillard during a game.

Reaction Score
Andre has everything needed to play in the NBA with the exception of proper shooting mechanics. He cannot create his own space, cannot shoot off the dribble, no step back, etc. It’s all because of poor shooting mechanics. I’ve been saying this for a few years. It’s a shooters league. This is a shame and it should have been fixed prior to college.

caw

Reaction Score
He didn't play many minutes, and basically had a zero stat line. One rebound and nothing else the last time I looked.

He basically sets screens and cuts and plays defense. That's it and that's fine but it's the playing time that's odd.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
He basically sets screens and cuts and plays defense. That's it and that's fine but it's the playing time that's odd.
If that's it, then the playing time's not that odd, no?

Reaction Score
Very glad Andre is getting a chance but he’s got to contribute substantially more to the stat sheet if he wants to stick around. Attitude and intangibles will only get you so far.

Reaction Score
Very glad Andre is getting a chance but he’s got to contribute substantially more to the stat sheet if he wants to stick around. Attitude and intangibles will only get you so far.
He was the 36th pick. He doesn't need to be any better than he is 14 games into his first season. He has plenty of time to improve his game and earn a bigger role over the course of his 4 year contract.
More likely than not, the coach has asked him to play good perimeter defense, an be an energy guy right now.
Picks 8, 9, 11, 20 and more drafted ahead of AJ are completely out of their teams rotations right now, and none of them are on teams with the expectations that the bucks have for success.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
There was an article I think on ESPN about the Bucks having a Jayson Tatum problem. The article basically said they traded Holiday their best defender and now do not have someone to defend the Jayson Tatum's of the NBA. The end of the article mentioned AJJ as possibly their best perimeter defender at this point. With Middleton out it would seem that Griff wanted to start out with AJJs defense and not have to worry about messing with his bench. I did not see the game but can only imagine that AJJ played good enough defense and set screens both which don't show up in the stat line. They won too which is good - no?

Reaction Score
Hawkins made 1 less three than the entire UConn team last night

13 points and 5 rebounds off the bench in 24 minutes. 5-11 FG and 3-6 3P in a close loss

Reaction Score
Hawkins needs to start and play 40 minutes a game.
The odd thing about the Pelicans, is they don't seem to like playing Brandon Ingram at the 3. So until they replace Herbert Jones at the SF spot with Brandon Ingram, Hawk will be forced to the bench.

IMO, even when Hawk eventually starts this year for the Pels, he'll average no more than 30-32 minutes per game; but man, he'll be scoring 25 points in 30 minutes on more than a few occasions if this happens.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hawkins made 1 less three than the entire UConn team last night

13 points and 5 rebounds off the bench in 24 minutes. 5-11 FG and 3-6 3P in a close loss
"A lack of 3-point shooting doomed the Pelicans. They connected on 7 of 22 triples. Rookie Jordan Hawkins was responsible for three of those makes."

"Second-year guard Dyson Daniels looked shaky in the loss. He shot 1 of 6 from the field and 0 of 4 from 3-point land. The Jazz sent multiple defenders to try and wall Williamson off from getting into the paint. They left Daniels wide open, but he could not make them pay."

Reaction Score
Bouknight came in for the first time with 4:51 remaining in a 23 point game with 3 other benchwarmers (Nick Smith, Leaky Black, and Theo Malodon). Took 2 3s, made 1. Grabbed an oreb.

Andre didn't play in the 1st half, but got some time in the 4th and made 2 3's (1 banked in).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom