UConn in final 7 for Montez Mathis | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn in final 7 for Montez Mathis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thank you for saying what many of us have been thinking...I find myself wondering how many of KO's issues are real and how many were invented for the purpose of stirring crap up on a message board.
We both know some of it's true. I won't comment on things that I don't know for sure though

Reaction Score
Ollie has made a lot of mistakes over the last few years. It will take a while to change the perception but I do think he can do it.

I see this a lot on here, and I agree. But the time is now. The prestige of the program has taken a dramatic slide and KO cant really afford to let it go any further.

I think its possible that KO can turn it around, but the time for results is now both in recruiting and especially on the court this season.

If we knew definitively whether the off season defections were really KO cleaning house or guys jumping ship due to not liking/believing in KO then it would be a clearer picture. But I still have no idea about that. I could see either being true.

Edit: although the way the staff seemed to be left scrambling with no coherent plan makes me think it was probably the latter, which is concerning.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We both know some of it's true. I won't comment on things that I don't know for sure though

I agree. I'm talking more about the fumbling at the goal line with specific recruits. It's very easy for people to take someone's word at face value with that kind of thing even when there's no way of verifying it.

Reaction Score
We have also heard that Chills is busting his behind and making great impressions. It's hard for me to believe the staff isn't working hard when you can follow @CGarr and see the staff's movement. Ollie knows his seat is hot. I can't buy that he is that dumb or lazy. If everything we hear from the insiders is wrong about specific players, why believe this?

I agree with you. None of the updates that we have been receiving thus far have indicated that they're not putting in the work, which is why it caught me off guard when these rumors first began to circulate. These are damning statements against a man who has a career's worth of evidence to refute it. If nobody is willing to speak about it on record then they should certainly be received with a healthy degree of skepticism. They're not pulling this stuff completely out of their asses, but it's plausible that when the insiders are wrong on certain recruits they begin to rationalize.

Reaction Score
A poster who said that he never wanted KO to get the job in the first place constantly flooding the boards with stories about how he's not putting in the work and that he's lazy on the recruiting trail, how shocking. Mind you this is the same poster who said that Louisville had overtaken KO+staff in their recruiting effort of Alterique when apparently he had been pretty much committed the whole time. The recruiting misses have been disappointing, but folks gotta be able to sniff out the propoganda and agenda machine that's working overdrive on here.

There has definitely been an anti-Ollie undercurrent from a couple of prominent posters for a while, even before it was reasonable for there to be one. I'm talking game one the year after the title we had a lot of concern expressed here. At the time I chalked it up to pure pessimism, but now as the subtle digs mount I'm beginning to wonder if there's been a source this whole time propagating this confirmation bias. So you're right that there does seem to be an agenda with certain posters, but the root of that is unclear to me and definitely not something I dismiss based on some of the strange things we've seen these last couple years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Um, no.....we can't lose targets to Rutgers....tell him what he wants to hear and just get him here.

Time to rescue Tyene Sand and get him that "Bad Pooosi". Or am I confusing threads?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Lmao at the use of the word "agenda" in this thread. You guys are really keeping busy in the offseason. It's so easy to flip the coin over and say that there is also a pro-Ollie agenda. The entire concept of people pushing fantasies they have drawn up in their heads is the equivalent of sticking your head in the sand.

Also it's hilarious that without fail any mention of any less than flattering rumors being false makes Stairmaster rise from the grave within minutes. Meanwhile in the Sid Wilson to St. John's or dozens of similar threads... no where to be seen.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Lmao at the use of the word "agenda" in this thread. You guys are really keeping busy in the offseason. It's so easy to flip the coin over and say that there is also a pro-Ollie agenda. The entire concept of people pushing fantasies they have drawn up in their heads is the equivalent of sticking your head in the sand.

Also it's hilarious that without fail any mention of any less than flattering rumors being false makes Stairmaster rise from the grave within minutes. Meanwhile in the Sid Wilson to St. John's or dozens of similar threads... no where to be seen.

I'm surprised you aren't charging me rent for the space I occupy inside your head.

Reaction Score
If we lose recruits to Rutgers for a top 100 guy that supposedly we've been recruiting since middle school, we won't get any of the other guys who were recruiting who are higher ranked in general and have much better offers that we are competing with. The only guy other than Mathis we are neck and neck with is Carey who has many top schools after him. We are trailing on the Mucius, Carrigan, Reddish, and Akinjo trail. Dort and Weaver we are out of the race.

Husky99 keeps telling us supposedly that Ollie and the staff keeps get outworked on the recruiting trail. With the seasons we've been having lately and with the guys we have on the staff I don't know how that's possible if true.

PS: Good recruiters don't miss on so many guys in the 70-100 range who Calhoun routinely got without sweating.

PS: If we miss on Carey I want Killings gone as recruiting with him has gone downhill. Bring Glenn Miller back.

I have said it previously. I will say it again. The only thing Providence, Seton Hall and Rutgers have to entice kids to choose them over us is one thing: their league is better than our league. It is that simple. UConn has better basketball tradition. UConn has had more recent basketball success. UConn has a proven track record of putting people in the NBA. However, UConn has the AAC and Rutgers has the Big 10. UConn has the AAC and Providence and Seton Hall have The Big East. The league is a HUGE factor in what is ailing our recruiting at the present time. Nevertheless, I am confident that HCKO and his staff can overcome it. We shall see.

Reaction Score
I have said it previously. I will say it again. The only thing Providence, Seton Hall and Rutgers have to entice kids to choose them over us is one thing: their league is better than our league. It is that simple. UConn has better basketball tradition. UConn has had more recent basketball success. UConn has a proven track record of putting people in the NBA. However, UConn has the AAC and Rutgers has the Big 10. UConn has the AAC and Providence and Seton Hall have The Big East. The league is a HUGE factor in what is ailing our recruiting at the present time. Nevertheless, I am confident that HCKO and his staff can overcome it. We shall see.

That's not the only reason read this entire thread. The conference is a factor but one of many. I'm not gonna get into a debate over this stupid bs no UConn fan is happy with the AAC. The best thing we can do to show we don't belong there is to dominate and we haven't even come close to that. Which means one of two things either the conference isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be or the program has fallen way behind. I think the answer lies somewhere in between those two possibilities. The biggest factor for a recruit is and always will be the head coach. The head coach is the one who sells the program, conference, playing time, etc.

Reaction Score
Hard to look at these quotes and be optimistic Montez is coming here:

"Couple weeks or a couple days," he responded. "I'm going to commit soon. I just want to talk to my family."
What sticks out about Rutgers and Connecticut?

"I like how coach [Steve] Pikiell has turned the team around since he got there," Mathis said. "He's a real out going person. My family loves him a lot. They talk a lot and not just about basketball, so I like coach Pikiell a lot."

"With UConn, coach [Kevin] Ollie has been recruiting me since middle school, so that's a plus," he said. "I like how Kevin Ollie develops his guards and gets them to the next level."

PS: With Pikiell he's gushing about how outgoing he is and how his family loves him. With Ollie its the same thing about developing guards and gets them to the next level. Nothing about how awesome he is or how my family connected with him or how he himself had a great personal connection.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

"Couple weeks or a couple days," he responded. "I'm going to commit soon. I just want to talk to my family."

"I like how coach [Steve] Pikiell has turned the team around since he got there," Mathis said. "He's a real out going person. My family loves him a lot. They talk a lot and not just about basketball, so I like coach Pikiell a lot."

"With UConn, coach [Kevin] Ollie has been recruiting me since middle school, so that's a plus," he said. "I like how Kevin Ollie develops his guards and gets them to the next level."

PS: With Pikiell he's gushing about how outgoing he is and how his family loves him. With Ollie its the same thing about developing guards and gets them to the next level. Nothing about how awesome he is or how my family connected with him or how he himself had a great personal connection.

How many times have recruits gushed about their relationship with Ollie only to commit elsewhere in the past few months alone?

C

Chief00

I agree. I'm talking more about the fumbling at the goal line with specific recruits. It's very easy for people to take someone's word at face value with that kind of thing even when there's no way of verifying it.

Shocking that class catalog and scheduling did not do the trick on the close!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Why do you PS every post? And what other accounts do you control?

Reaction Score

Glad to see KO showing he understands the importance of prioritizing guys we have a strong chance at landing. I'm all for pursuing top 10 one-and-done guys like Reddish, but the 50-100 players who will likely stick around a few years are the ones that will bring UConn back to the top. I would much rather Ollie prioritize a good player that we have a ~50% chance of landing compared to a potential lottery player that we have a ~10% chance of landing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom