Uconn hits a low GSR rate of 8% - national average @ 70 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn hits a low GSR rate of 8% - national average @ 70

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just so people know, the new federal guidelines for research funding and student loans pell grants are going to be based on graduation rates after 4 years, with minor allowances going forward.

This points out why the federal rate and grad rates are now taken so seriously. Because they are money.

That being said, the new parameters are going to reward students at Penn State because they are wealthy and penalize more affordable schools like the SUNYs, where students are considerably poorer. The difference in tuition is under $7k at the SUNYs and $15k at PSU and some B1G schools. Grad rates after 4 years are 50% at the SUNYs, 70% at the expensive B1Gs, but after 6 years, it's another story. The SUNYs are in the mid 70% range after 6 years while the B1Gs jump to 80%.

Reaction Score
UConn has changed its ways and will be a highlight story going forward. JC will take a hit from guys like freescooter but I could give 2 feces what people like him think. The reason is that JC knows the things is a farce and he isn't concerned. If the University has gotten past the dark cloud, (except football and that will change with a good hire) and JC is not concerned, then why should any of us get upset.
Calhoun is not the coach any longer, so it is unsurprising that he is not concerned with any of this. Not his issue any more. And while he may or may not have know "the things (sic) is a farce" his lack of concern with it was directly responsible for UConn being banned from last year's Big East and NCAA Tournaments.

Reaction Score
Calhoun is not the coach any longer, so it is unsurprising that he is not concerned with any of this. Not his issue any more. And while he may or may not have know "the things (sic) is a farce" his lack of concern with it was directly responsible for UConn being banned from last year's Big East and NCAA Tournaments.

Lack of concern? Have you ever stopped to consider that it may have had more to do with, one, an academic adviser with integrity, and two, a retroactive punishment? Why should Calhoun have been concerned if there was no postseason ban? If perhaps he trusted Ted Taigen with knowing what's best for students? Ever considered those two factors?

Reaction Score
Just so people know, the new federal guidelines for research funding and student loans pell grants are going to be based on graduation rates after 4 years, with minor allowances going forward.

This points out why the federal rate and grad rates are now taken so seriously. Because they are money.

That being said, the new parameters are going to reward students at Penn State because they are wealthy and penalize more affordable schools like the SUNYs, where students are considerably poorer. The difference in tuition is under $7k at the SUNYs and $15k at PSU and some B1G schools. Grad rates after 4 years are 50% at the SUNYs, 70% at the expensive B1Gs, but after 6 years, it's another story. The SUNYs are in the mid 70% range after 6 years while the B1Gs jump to 80%.
That is a whole different subject but I agree with you. I think much of this started out to deal with the problem of some of those for-profit diploma mills and so forth. Of course people who don't have a clue about such things as you discuss are pushing it to an absurd extreme.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The black eye is not with the current players, coach or administration. This is data while JC was the coach. It's his legacy that is affected. And he was very concerned at the time it was happening which was the reason for the run ins he had with JH!

And you of all people in this forum, a fan of football, should start making the connections regarding the events that have led to the abysmal football program. It was JH first, middle and last. He refused to play the game that is pervasive in Div 1 athletics. He resisted JC's and RE's attempts to modify the type of assistance to BB and football players academically that would put UConn on the same playing field as other institutions. JC and RE were put in the bind to demonstrate success while not being able to get players that other programs were able to recruit. In JC's case, he got the players anyways and is paying the price with press! RE took the high road. He didn't take the players! Some high road. He bailed knowing the feces was going to hit the fan.

JC was the noble person in this because he took the hits but stuck by UConn. It impacted the publics perception of who he is and it impacted his health. But the University will be better for it because the men's bb program will continue to thrive and give the university the best opportunity to get into a better conference. RE killed football and scr*wed UConn by not bucking JH.

So you stick to your high horse! But I suggest you take it to Kentucky and North Carolina and all the power five schools and investigate the crud that is being done to ensure those numbers are meaningful! Instead of ranting on JC, use your holier than thou attitude and expose the system for what it is, an absolute farce!

Reaction Score
The black eye is not with the current players, coach or administration. This is data while JC was the coach. It's his legacy that is affected. And he was very concerned at the time it was happening which was the reason for the run ins he had with JH!

And you of all people in this forum, a fan of football, should start making the connections regarding the events that have led to the abysmal football program. It was JH first, middle and last. He refused to play the game that is pervasive in Div 1 athletics. He resisted JC's and RE's attempts to modify the type of assistance to BB and football players academically that would put UConn on the same playing field as other institutions. JC and RE were put in the bind to demonstrate success while not being able to get players that other programs were able to recruit. In JC's case, he got the players anyways and is paying the price with press! RE took the high road. He didn't take the players! Some high road. He bailed knowing the feces was going to hit the fan.

JC was the noble person in this because he took the hits but stuck by UConn. It impacted the publics perception of who he is and it impacted his health. But the University will be better for it because the men's bb program will continue to thrive and give the university the best opportunity to get into a better conference. RE killed football and scr*wed UConn by not bucking JH.

So you stick to your high horse! But I suggest you take it to Kentucky and North Carolina and all the power five schools and investigate the crud that is being done to ensure those numbers are meaningful! Instead of ranting on JC, use your holier than thou attitude and expose the system for what it is, an absolute farce!

Hard to say anyone was noble.

Reaction Score
During this period pretty much all UConn did was give them a place to play basketball and buy them uniforms, not provide an education. they could have gotten the same thing at the local Y, albiet with lesser quality coaching.

The period in question includes an awful lot of guys who stayed for four years - Price, Adrien, Dyson, Austrie, Edwards, and Robinson. Presumably, many of these guys gave up their pursuit of the diploma in their final semester - had they given up sooner they would not have been eligible to play basketball. So to suggest that they basically were not provided an education while at Uconn for 4 years is pretty ridiculous.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Hard to say anyone was noble.
Maybe for you. Not for me!:)

You, perhaps more than any of us, know the type of games that are going on at the university level that make this whole system a sham!

Reaction Score
Maybe for you. Not for me!:)

You, perhaps more than any of us, know the type of games that are going on at the university level that make this whole system a sham!

It's hard to make an issue of athletic programs when regular classes/departments are becoming a sham too!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It's hard to make an issue of athletic programs when regular classes/departments are becoming a sham too!
Now you're going global on me! Let's keep this simple!:)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The reason I chose to make a statement to freescooter is due to his selective choice of condemnation. If he chose to look at the academic picture in its entirety, as you have chosen to examine, he might still take issue with some of the things that went down at UConn, but would state that problems are far worse than what took place under JC. JC is a blind spot for him!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The reason I chose to make a statement to freescooter is due to his selective choice of condemnation. If he chose to look at the academic picture in its entirety, as you have chosen to examine, he might still take issue with some of the things that went down at UConn, but would state that problems are far worse than what took place under JC. JC is a blind spot for him!

You guys haven't blocked scoot yet? More power to ya.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You guys haven't blocked scoot yet? More power to ya.
I haven't used the ignore button yet! Human behavior is a sport to me. My day is made when someone breaks out of their behavioral paradigm. Best change so far has been Yonick conversing civilly to FriarJ.

Of course that was only a 1 on a scale of 10 compared to the 10 that I felt when the NCAA finally gave a ruling that went UConn's way by giving Facey immediate eligibility and four years. I was only expecting three and uncertain of the eligibility this season.

Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
The period in question includes an awful lot of guys who stayed for four years - Price, Adrien, Dyson, Austrie, Edwards, and Robinson. Presumably, many of these guys gave up their pursuit of the diploma in their final semester - had they given up sooner they would not have been eligible to play basketball. So to suggest that they basically were not provided an education while at Uconn for 4 years is pretty ridiculous.

Price and Robinson only attended school for 7 semesters. Robinson really 6, since he withdrew for personal reasons mid-semester in the spring then worked at that sheet metal factory in the fall. And not sure if Price was taking a full courseload his freshman spring after brain surgery ended his fall semester with no credits. He might have taken it easy. Price did lose a chance to make up for falling behind by getting suspended from school, so there is a caveat there.

Reaction Score
Here's the disconnect, uconn68. There is no reason on this earth why a player needs to enroll in college to play in the NBA...certainly not to play in the Turkish league.They are free to leave to pursue their dreams that way but when 92% of them do that, it raises questions as to whether there was anything but the most tenuous connection between the program and the school. During this period pretty much all UConn did was give them a place to play basketball and buy them uniforms, not provide an education. they could have gotten the same thing at the local Y, albiet with lesser quality coaching. As to the NCAA allowing guys to finish when they want to and still on scholarship, huh? I wouldn't have a problem with giving players who fiisih their eligibility a scholarship for an extra year, say a 5th year for hoops or a 6th for football, maybe, but I'm not sure that a guy who signs a multi-million dollar contract with the Milwaukee Bucks needs to have a scholarship guaranteed for him if he wants to return to UConn in 10 years.
No reason except they CAN'T go to the NBA until 19. And not all get multi-million $ offers. If you say you are for them graduating, then do something positive to help them. Don't simply penalize the schools that haven't mastered the fake classes and grades, or the one-and-dones that never sees a real classroom.

Reaction Score
Here's a headline:

UConn hits a high National Championship rate at 100% in 2011, national average 0.28%

Reaction Score
I haven't used the ignore button yet! Human behavior is a sport to me. My day is made when someone breaks out of their behavioral paradigm. Best change so far has been Yonick conversing civilly to FriarJ.

Of course that was only a 1 on a scale of 10 compared to the 10 that I felt when the NCAA finally gave a ruling that went UConn's way by giving Facey immediate eligibility and four years. I was only expecting three and uncertain of the eligibility this season.

Go Huskies!!!
Hell, because of the NCAA's ruling on Facey, which was very surprising to all of us, I would even kiss FriarJ, because I'm so happy.

Reaction Score
Our numbers are much lower than average due to us having players leave for the NBA.
8% is ridiculously low no matter how many players turned pro. Minus out the pro players and the graduation rate is still terrible. I have a feeling that this will change under Ollie.

Reaction Score
8% is ridiculously low no matter how many players turned pro. Minus out the pro players and the graduation rate is still terrible. I have a feeling that this will change under Ollie.

It should get worse, all across the country. The emphasis on APR will result in lower Federal grad rate levels. That is a guarantee.

You simply cannot finish your degree taking a heap of lower level intersession courses.

Granted, the NCAA's GSR isn't a measure of graduation, so no one will notice this. Everyone who doesn't graduate will be exempt because they "are in good standing."

But when you look at the federal rate, I'd be shocked if it ever goes above 25%.

Reaction Score

It looks like there are 5 guys who were in school for a full 8 semesters in that time frame - Austrie, Dyson, Edwards, Adrien, Mandeldove. One graduated.

That isn't a big enough sample to get worked up about, especially since the next wave (Kemba, Donnell, Chuck) graduated - assuming Kemba took care of his last few credits.

Reaction Score

Go Huskies!!!

I feel partially responsible for HFD leaving the basketball forum. Does that count as contributing toward behavioral development?? ;)

Seriously I admire your perspective though.

Reaction Score
Could part of it be that New England journalists are a lot tougher on their athletes as opposed to journalists in the South where sports (mainly football) rule supreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom