Men - UConn @ Hawai’i University Rainbows (Fri. 3/10/23 @1135p, Sat. 3/11/23 @1135p, Sun. 3/12/23 @705p & Mon (Tues) 3/14/23 @1235a). All times EST/DST | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ Hawai’i University Rainbows (Fri. 3/10/23 @1135p, Sat. 3/11/23 @1135p, Sun. 3/12/23 @705p & Mon (Tues) 3/14/23 @1235a). All times EST/DST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seemed that the UConn offense was hitting doubles all weekend long. I believe I counted about 14 of them in the box scores from the games in Hawaii.

Reaction Score
Seemed that the UConn offense was hitting doubles all weekend long. I believe I counted about 14 of them in the box scores from the games in Hawaii.

I was surprised there weren't more home runs (maybe 4 or 5 between the two teams) with those skimpy outfield dimensions. Must be that humid island air.

Reaction Score
I was surprised there weren't more home runs (maybe 4 or 5 between the two teams) with those skimpy outfield dimensions. Must be that humid island air.

Chris Jones was saying during the game broadcasts that the ball doesn't carry well at that ballpark. I believe he mentioned that the wind was blowing in from right field.

Reaction Score
Feels different when you lose the first and rattle off three in a row. Got their bearings and played gritty, albeit not pretty, baseball. Have some nice momentum heading into San Diego.

Another 4 game series on deck so there will be plenty of opportunity for several arms to see action.

Reaction Score
Feels different when you lose the first and rattle off three in a row. Got their bearings and played gritty, albeit not pretty, baseball. Have some nice momentum heading into San Diego.

Another 4 game series on deck so there will be plenty of opportunity for several arms to see action.

This coming weekend will probably help set the 3 man weekend rotation for Big East games. I would expect Stephen Quigley (assuming he is able to pitch), Ian Cooke, Andrew Sears, and Jack Sullivan (who made a big pitching statement against Hawaii last night) will get starts against San Diego State. Also, following the 4 game series against San Diego State, UConn has a midweek game against UMass on Wednesday, March 22, followed by a weekend series in Storrs against Rutgers. After that UConn baseball usually has 2 midweek games scheduled until the end of April (with the exception of the week before Easter). It will be interesting to see how the starting pitching shakes out over the following weeks. Despite all the walks given up by the UConn pitching staff, it still looks like there could be some pretty good pitching depth on this team.

Reaction Score
My guess is they are trying to give the younger guys playing time to avoid the transfer portal down the road. The one silver lining of the hand injury to Terrence Cleveland is it's easier to get them playing time. These guys are good enough to start for many D1 programs. So Penders is handling this proactively by getting them engaged and contributing. These guys will not sit on the bench for 1-2 years they will go into the portal. Upcoming weekday games will also allow Penders some flexibility to address. Great job by Penders in managing this. First-class problem to have. Also, 9-4 and really not playing all that well....yet. Good sign.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
San Diego State (4-8 overall and 2-2 in the Mountain West Conference) started the year 0-5 (four losses by 2 runs or less), then won four in a row (including a 3-2 win over Hawai'i and a 28-8 win over UNLV, with the latter game accounting for 37% of the total runs they've scored so far) and has dropped three straight since. They have a team BA of .271 (four regulars at .300+) and a team ERA of 4.50. The three "weekend" starters have ERA's of 2.92, 4.61 & 6.86. They've committed 22 errors in 12 games. On paper, this could be a strong finish to a long trip.

Reaction Score
My guess is they are trying to give the younger guys playing time to avoid the transfer portal down the road. The one silver lining of the hand injury to Terrence Cleveland is it's easier to get them playing time. These guys are good enough to start for many D1 programs. So Penders is handling this proactively by getting them engaged and contributing. These guys will not sit on the bench for 1-2 years they will go into the portal. Upcoming weekday games will also allow Penders some flexibility to address. Great job by Penders in managing this. First-class problem to have. Also, 9-4 and really not playing all that well....yet. Good sign.

There is no one named Cleveland on this team. You must mean Terrence Simmons, who is currently out with a hand injury.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
SDSU is 4-8, but beat Hawaii earlier in the year 3-2.

One final footnote on Hawaii: they were similar to both FAU and Ohio State. Good offense, bad defense, an ok starter or two without much pitching depth. We’ve been getting stronger and stronger against these teams because we’ve put the ball in play and forced them to make plays.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

Ten Connecticut men were killed on the USS Arizona, which accounted for almost half of all the causalities of that day, losing a total of 1,177 — the single greatest loss for the Navy to this day. A total of 2,403 men were killed in the attack.
CFBF494E-4C5B-4089-8090-B2ABD7F20534.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32