Men - UConn @ Hawai’i University Rainbows (Fri. 3/10/23 @1135p, Sat. 3/11/23 @1135p, Sun. 3/12/23 @705p & Mon (Tues) 3/14/23 @1235a). All times EST/DST | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ Hawai’i University Rainbows (Fri. 3/10/23 @1135p, Sat. 3/11/23 @1135p, Sun. 3/12/23 @705p & Mon (Tues) 3/14/23 @1235a). All times EST/DST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Confirmation that Jack Sullivan will get the start on the mound in the last game of the series. Also, sounds like we might be seeing more of Jude Abbadessa on the mound in the coming games. Offense looking good, but need to get the first 2 guys in the lineup, Smith and Morton, going at the plate.

Don't disagree, but Smitty and Morton are both well off the interstate. Getting hits (and walks) from the catcher's position the last two games has made a huge difference.

Our bullpen, other than Willis, has to be gassed. It's likely we just asked Coe to give us more than his arm was capable of giving us yesterday, giving how long he pitched on Friday also. Hoping Sully can give us at least 5 innings, even if they're only decent innings.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Don't disagree, but Smitty and Morton are both well off the interstate. Getting hits (and walks) from the catcher's position the last two games has made a huge difference.

Our bullpen, other than Willis, has to be gassed. It's likely we just asked Coe to give us more than his arm was capable of giving us yesterday, giving how long he pitched on Friday also. Hoping Sully can give us at least 5 innings, even if they're only decent innings.
Afthim hasn't been taxed to heavily and I think we could see even Freeberger get some more mound time!! Would like to see some more Daniels, Dalena, etc get some time.

Reaction Score

If you listen to the post game interview with Coach Penders, he seems to think that for the game tonight that the bullpen is in decent shape. Wouldn't surprise me to see Justin Willis go 2+ innings, but we'll see what happens. Would certainly help if Sullivan could go 5 or more innings tonight, it would also be a plus sign for the starting pitching rotation as well.

By the way, in the post game interview, Coach Penders mentions that Sullivan had undergone a "procedure", which is presumably why he missed his start last weekend.

I mentioned during the game last night when Coe came into the game that I expected that he would have a short pitching stint, considering he had thrown 3+ innings and about 51 pitches on Friday night. I have to say I was surprised that he was still on the mound to start the 7th inning. Coe was quite effective for the first 1.2 innings, but I would agree that a tired arm caught up with him in that 7th inning when he gave up several walk. It was obvious the coaching staff was hoping Coe could continue to eat up some innings, I expect Coe will still see plenty of mound action as the season continues, especially in long relief.

With all the walks, poor pitching on both sides, the length of the games, and Chris Jones complaining about the umpires and the strike zone throughout this series, I can't wait for the team leave Hawaii and resume playing on the mainland. Hopefully the return to the continental USA will result in some more normal games. When following college baseball, I certainly expect mistakes including walks by pitchers as it is pretty much a part of the college game, but in this weekend series it has really gone over the edge in terms of not throwing strikes. It would definitely seem that umps have to contributed to that, which has been touched upon in the post game interviews. I would have to say that would be true for both teams in this series.

Reaction Score

Ryan Daniels gets the start at 2B.

Some adjustments to the lineup tonight. Korey Morton is moved out of the 2nd spot in the batting order, among other things. Also, Broadhurst is now batting 5th.

Last edited:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Quick 1-2-3 inning for the offense. I hope we don’t get suffocated tonight after the last two nights :D

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
With 1 out, Broadhurst takes a 4 pitch walk and Padilla nails a double down the line. Both of those guys continue to see their stock rise.

Morton hits a sac fly to put UConn up 1-0.

Garbo flies out deep to right to end the inning.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Hawaii leads off with a single. Sully gets a weak popout, and huber drops a ball that proceeds to go down the right field line, giving hawaii runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. An RBI groundout ties the game at one. A single gives Hawaii a 2-1 lead with no hard contact - unlucky for Sully. A pop out ends the inning.

2-1 bad guys going to the third inning. I hope we keep Sullivan in for a long outing, as he is pitching well.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Daniels leads off the 3rd inning with a double. Smitty proceeds to bunt for a base hit, giving us runners on 1st and 3rd with no one out. Smith steals second, and the throw goes into center allowing Daniels to score. 2-2 game. Roller coaster is on!

Freeberger strokes an RBI double to help UConn take a 3-2 lead. Still no one out. Hawaii is in trouble considering their pitching is shot…looks like they are changing pitchers already.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Anyone looking to short a broadhurst stock will be a very poor man. 5-2 UConn after his single.

Padilla hits into a DP that nonetheless scores a 6th run. Morton hits a 2 out single, and steals 2nd on the delay. Garbo follows up with an RBI single to make it 7-2!

Reaction Score
Well, Sullivan gave us 5 outstanding innings and the team cruised behind it. Walks given up down to a reasonable 4. So for all the teams issues so far, and there are many, they are 9-4 and still haven’t played a game at home. Morton also with a 2 hit day. On to the mainland.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Well, Sullivan gave us 5 outstanding innings and the team cruised behind it. Walks given up down to a reasonable 4. So for all the teams issues so far, and there are many, they are 9-4 and still haven’t played a game at home. Morton also with a 2 hit day. On to the mainland.
It almost feels like bad weather teams should get a handicap in the rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom