UConn football opponent preview: Fresno State Bulldogs (UConnBlog) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn football opponent preview: Fresno State Bulldogs (UConnBlog)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There isn’t much worse for an athlete playing in super hot weather in a football uniform. Dangerous stuff. Surviving might be more important than winning. Years ago I went to an NFL exhibition between NYG and Vikings. 95 degrees and players were puking.

meanwhile, I’m not sure how anyone can predict anything about UConn football until we play a game or two or three. Totally unknown.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I just put this on the other thread about who's going to Fresno.

Air quality is just wretched there during summer.

1629226692778.png

Reaction Score
There isn’t much worse for an athlete playing in super hot weather in a football uniform. Dangerous stuff. Surviving might be more important than winning. Years ago I went to an NFL exhibition between NYG and Vikings. 95 degrees and players were puking.

meanwhile, I’m not sure how anyone can predict anything about UConn football until we play a game or two or three. Totally unknown.
Hope the team gets there early to get used to the weather. Fresno is dry heat, so it's not as bad as East Coast humidity weather. 95 degrees isn't as bad as it sounds out here comparing to the East Coast or Texas.

Reaction Score
I just put this on the other thread about who's going to Fresno.

Air quality is just wretched there during summer.

View attachment 69209
We got another wild fire pandemic out here, which is contributing to the bad air quality. Fresno area has one of the worst air quality measurements worldwide regardless of wild fire though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We got another wild fire pandemic out here, which is contributing to the bad air quality. Fresno area has one of the worst air quality measurements worldwide regardless of wild fire though.

See post #4 on page 1 of this thread.

I've spent enough time around Clovis, Fresno, Hanford, Lemoore and Tulare to know that place is horrible even without the wildfires. Although, wildfires adding to the existing bad air quality during the summer is a near certainty.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hope the team gets there early to get used to the weather. Fresno is dry heat, so it's not as bad as East Coast humidity weather. 95 degrees isn't as bad as it sounds out here comparing to the East Coast or Texas.
My wife and I visited Yosemite in July a few decades ago. It was 105 in the mountains. It was miserable. Going to LA in 2 weeks. At least my son has a pool.

Reaction Score
See post #4 on page 1 of this thread.

I've spent enough time around Clovis, Fresno, Hanford, Lemoore and Tulare to know that place is horrible even without the wildfires. Although, wildfires adding to the existing bad air quality during the summer is a near certainty.
any recommendations for breweries and restaurants around clovis/fresno area?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
any recommendations for breweries and restaurants around clovis/fresno area?

I definitely would not spend a second of my life around downtown Fresno. Stick to hotels around the airport, university or on Clovis along Clovis Ave and Shaw Ave.

When I stay up there for work I'm almost always at the Homewood Suites or Home 2 Suites on Clovis Ave.

Dog House Grill is a bit of a hokey place, but it's right across the street from Fresno St. and should have plenty of fans there for interaction. I don't remember if the food was good or bad or if the beer was good or bad but I definitely would remember if it sucked.
Same for Mad Duck Craft Brewing. It's in a strip plaza within a strip mall but I seem to remember the food and drinks being okay. And it's right next to the campus. Opposite side of campus from football field

I've gotten Tactical Ops beers from stores but I don't think I've ever been to the brewery.

You're on the west coast so all the beer stores (Look for a BevMo) will have the Ballast Point, Russian River Brewing beers and stuff like that. Might as well drink it while you can.

Grill Masters BBQ on Clovis Ave has never disappointed.

I couldn't begin to list all the food trucks but try the tri tip meat, try the carnitas and try the barbacoa. It's pretty tough to go wrong with any of those. I"m more of a Mexican and hispanic cuisine guy but there are plenty of Asian restaurants out there, I just wouldn't know how to suggest any.

Might as well do some In N Out Burgers just because you can out there.

If need be you have all the standard places for food and drink like BJ Brewhouse or Red Robin.

I realize this list is pretty basic but it works. Most fans are only going to be there for a night or two.

Reaction Score
I definitely would not spend a second of my life around downtown Fresno. Stick to hotels around the airport, university or on Clovis along Clovis Ave and Shaw Ave.

When I stay up there for work I'm almost always at the Homewood Suites or Home 2 Suites on Clovis Ave.

Dog House Grill is a bit of a hokey place, but it's right across the street from Fresno St. and should have plenty of fans there for interaction. I don't remember if the food was good or bad or if the beer was good or bad but I definitely would remember if it sucked.
Same for Mad Duck Craft Brewing. It's in a strip plaza within a strip mall but I seem to remember the food and drinks being okay. And it's right next to the campus. Opposite side of campus from football field

I've gotten Tactical Ops beers from stores but I don't think I've ever been to the brewery.

You're on the west coast so all the beer stores (Look for a BevMo) will have the Ballast Point, Russian River Brewing beers and stuff like that. Might as well drink it while you can.

Grill Masters BBQ on Clovis Ave has never disappointed.

I couldn't begin to list all the food trucks but try the tri tip meat, try the carnitas and try the barbacoa. It's pretty tough to go wrong with any of those. I"m more of a Mexican and hispanic cuisine guy but there are plenty of Asian restaurants out there, I just wouldn't know how to suggest any.

Might as well do some In N Out Burgers just because you can out there.

If need be you have all the standard places for food and drink like BJ Brewhouse or Red Robin.

I realize this list is pretty basic but it works. Most fans are only going to be there for a night or two.
Yeah i'm staying at homewood suites. Thanks for all the info will definitely check out as many recommendations that you gave as possible. I really appreciate it!!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah i'm staying at homewood suites. Thanks for all the info will definitely check out as many recommendations that you gave as possible. I really appreciate it!!

I still have record for my work colleagues for longest shot made in HORSE on their basketball course. Not crazy long but I was in the parking lot from the left baseline.

Reaction Score
If only 95 degrees was in the cards for midday 8/28. Current, updated forecasts range from 104-107 F. Maybe a bit less from 11-3 PT, but still the highest temp range forecasted for the next few weeks.

Reaction Score
If only 95 degrees was in the cards for midday 8/28. Current, updated forecasts range from 104-107 F. Maybe a bit less from 11-3 PT, but still the highest temp range forecasted for the next few weeks.
That heat can be deadly. I really hope they keep a close eye on it. The only good thing is Randy plays at a snail’s pace and will be working the clock.

Reaction Score
I wonder if they have the ability to make it a night game?
Great idea. That dry heat is terrible because you don’t know how fast you’re dehydrating until it’s too late.

Reaction Score
I wonder if they have the ability to make it a night game?
Fresno State, CBSSN (which potentially may not wish to lose an early game slot or may not be too flexible; slso has San Jose St 7 pm ET/10 pm PT kickoff), or UConn?

Setting aside temps for midday vs late afternoon/evening, wonder when Fresno’s air quality is worse; midday vs later afternoon?

Today’s Fresno air quality: Moderate:

Reaction Score
Hello all: Fresno fan here with a little insight for visitors:

Food:

Dog House Grill is a pretty popular for their tri-tip and pulled pork sandwiches. It hasn’t been as good as before but it works. Mad Duck and Wahoo’s Fish Tacos are across the street from Dog House Grill by the arena. Fresno State is planning on having an array of food trucks there in coordination with the Fresno Street Eats company. It should be a good time for food. We do also have In N Out, Five Guys, Habit Burgers, Eureka Burgers; Westwoods BBQ, Mike’s BBQ and the Meat Market around town for tri-tip and BBQ.

Hotels: Stay north of Shaw Avenue. There are good hotels near Herndon Avenue and Fresno street that are near the Riverpark shopping center. Stay away from the hotels/motels near highway 99 on the west side of town. I can’t emphasize this enough, they are of the hourly variety.

Weather:

107 for the forecasted high and you’ll probably feel that around 3-5pm local. CA is on fire right now. Most of the smoke is coming from the Dixie fire up north. This has been the hottest summer on record for us with a high of 114 this past July. We have a very small wildfire near Squaw Valley that is contributing to the smokiness but it is not terrible. We normally would have a 7pm kickoff however since San Jose State won the conference championship last year, they get the top billing for the 7pm kickoff by CBSSN.

Safe travels everyone.

Reaction Score
They will have a bunch of misting fans, AC blowers and plenty of oxygen. They will manage I am sure. Not like this is their first rodeo.

I have been to Fresno, btw, just not for a FB game. Went to the hospital ER for a broken nose. Waited an hour to be processed in, and after another hour just sitting there I just left. On a week night.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They will have a bunch of misting fans, AC blowers and plenty of oxygen. They will manage I am sure. Not like this is their first rodeo.

I have been to Fresno, btw, just not for a FB game. Went to the hospital ER for a broken nose. Waited an hour to be processed in, and after another hour just sitting there I just left. On a week night.

And you thought you were going to get away with telling the story without telling us how you got a broken nose? On a week night nonetheless?

Reaction Score
And you thought you were going to get away with telling the story without telling us how you got a broken nose? On a week night nonetheless?
Not really interesting. Some recreational 2 v 2 soccer during lunch break while training in Kings Canyon. I marked up on a guy from behind perhaps a little too physically than absolutely necessary. He lost his balance and went down. But as he did so he caught the bridge of my nose with a forearm or something. A long long time ago.

Reaction Score
Hello all: Fresno fan here with a little insight for visitors:

Food:

Dog House Grill is a pretty popular for their tri-tip and pulled pork sandwiches. It hasn’t been as good as before but it works. Mad Duck and Wahoo’s Fish Tacos are across the street from Dog House Grill by the arena. Fresno State is planning on having an array of food trucks there in coordination with the Fresno Street Eats company. It should be a good time for food. We do also have In N Out, Five Guys, Habit Burgers, Eureka Burgers; Westwoods BBQ, Mike’s BBQ and the Meat Market around town for tri-tip and BBQ.

Hotels: Stay north of Shaw Avenue. There are good hotels near Herndon Avenue and Fresno street that are near the Riverpark shopping center. Stay away from the hotels/motels near highway 99 on the west side of town. I can’t emphasize this enough, they are of the hourly variety.

Weather:

107 for the forecasted high and you’ll probably feel that around 3-5pm local. CA is on fire right now. Most of the smoke is coming from the Dixie fire up north. This has been the hottest summer on record for us with a high of 114 this past July. We have a very small wildfire near Squaw Valley that is contributing to the smokiness but it is not terrible. We normally would have a 7pm kickoff however since San Jose State won the conference championship last year, they get the top billing for the 7pm kickoff by CBSSN.

Safe travels everyone.
Thanks for the information i really appreciate it!!!!!

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom