UConn football opponent preview: Fresno State Bulldogs (UConnBlog) | The Boneyard

UConn football opponent preview: Fresno State Bulldogs (UConnBlog)

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I'd love to see our young Men come out and play well enough to give themselves a chance to pull out a win. I just worry that the nerves and a cross country trip might doom them before they get their legs under them. @huskymedic do you know when the team will fly West? They need 3-4 days to get their internal clocks in line.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd love to see our young Men come out and play well enough to give themselves a chance to pull out a win. I just worry that the nerves and a cross country trip might doom them before they get their legs under them. @huskymedic do you know when the team will fly West? They need 3-4 days to get their internal clocks in line.
I always found flying east to west easier on the body than west to east.

I mean worst thing that happens on the west coast is you wake up a few hours earlier in the morning and feel like going to bed at 9pm.

If this is a 1pm local start, their bodies are feeling like it's late afternoon instead of early afternoon. 3pm start feels like early evening instead of....... you get the picture.

Traditionally it's been west coast teams coming to the east coast for the noon or 1pm games where the body needs time to adapt.

I'd be more concerned with the poor air quality the players will be breathing vice their rhythmic clocks. That central valley area of CA has some of the worst air quality in the country regardless of season or time of year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I travel out to the Fresno area occasionally for work. Haven't been to a football game but have seen a few Fresno St. basketball games. Looks like it could be a fun place to watch a game and to tailgate. Plenty of parking around the campus and stadium. For travelling fans I would definitely be looking at hotels around the airport and Clovis vice Fresno. Fresno truly is a dump and there really isn't a compelling reason to stay in that area. If anyone gets there a day or two early a trip east to Sequoia, Kings Canyon or Yosemite should be on your itinerary.

To understand the air out there, just realize there is a regional air pollution control district. Much like water, electricity and everything else, they have an air "utility". There's a price to be had for all those almonds, almond milk and fruits and vegetables available fresh year round.

Frequently Asked Questions | Valley Air District

Reaction Score
Prediction: we shock the world and play well. I still think we lose but it’s a close game in which we have a chance to win at the end. Our guys gain experience in tough game and for the rest of the year we win every game we should win and pickup at least one surprise win! Take the points!

Reaction Score
Left side of the OL is pretty big. They play a 4-2-5 D with one of their DBs as the leading tackler.

Reaction Score
If anyone gets there a day or two early a trip east to Sequoia, Kings Canyon or Yosemite should be on your itinerary.

To understand the air out there, just realize there is a regional air pollution control district. Much like water, electricity and everything else, they have an air "utility". There's a price to be had for all those almonds, almond milk and fruits and vegetables available fresh year round.

Frequently Asked Questions | Valley Air District
Agree on KIngs Canyon. I spent three weeks out there long ago training for whitewater slalom. Really a beautiful place.

Reaction Score
Other than the no games in 2 years/jitters like you mention. I'd have to think the current 105 temps out in Fresno might be just as big a factor in this one if it doesn't cool off. I'm glad for the "cooler" 11 am start. Because it's probably as tough for most NE teams in any situation to get used to that, as it is for the sunshine teams to play up here in the NE for a cold/wet November game.

And I don't want to put the cart before the horse on Aman's 28 point loss in his Uconn blog article (and the point spread) with all of the unknowns on this Uconn team after 2 years. But Fresno St. wasn't exactly tearing it up vs. powerhouses in their 3-3 season last year. Their 3 wins came vs. teams with a combined 2-14 record and 2 of their losses came to a 2-5 New Mexico and at home to a 5-4 Hawaii team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wish they were playing Holy Cross the first week and then heading to Fresno. That might have helped with some of the jitters and knocked off some of the rust. But it will be Fresno's first game also so maybe we can sneak up on them. Also maybe there is something when a player comes in and sees the operation and then transfers back out

Reaction Score
Wish they were playing Holy Cross the first week and then heading to Fresno.
While it goes against convention, I actually like that our first game in over a year is away from home against a 27 pt favorite. We're not expected to win. Let's see who steps up in live action. I'd rather have us feeling our way vs Fresno than struggling with first game jitters against Holy Cross--(I've seen that movie before). Play well vs Fresno, identify our strengths and weaknesses, come back and whack the Crusaders and set the tone for the season.

Reaction Score
How things are going out in Fresno.

Weather forecast over 100° high. Rotate players when possible. We'll need some heat protocols in place to keep players hydrated. Any uniform adjustments need to be looked at as well. Sideline shading, etc.

Reaction Score
Weather forecast over 100° high. Rotate players when possible. We'll need some heat protocols in place to keep players hydrated. Any uniform adjustments need to be looked at as well. Sideline shading, etc.
We have a lot of players from Florida and Texas and other states down south. I don't think the weather will affect us that much. We also have a chance to catch them napping since we are such big underdogs.

Reaction Score
We have a lot of players from Florida and Texas and other states down south. I don't think the weather will affect us that much. We also have a chance to catch them napping since we are such big underdogs.
ok

Here's the thing: California and Arizona and LV are not Florida or Texas heat. Fresno environment and that dry stuff is not something we are used to. Methinks you should spend 48 hours there just getting into it. Plus the fanbase ARE rabid dogs.

Reaction Score
It is a different kind of heat for sure but my own view is it is easier to deal with than the heavy hot humid stuff we got last week or what you get in Miami from Memorial Day to The day before Memorial Day every year. 100 is basically miserable in any case though.

Reaction Score
Fresno environment and that dry stuff is not something we are used to. Methinks you should spend 48 hours there just getting into it. Plus the fanbase ARE rabid dogs.
Agreed, even with only the current 88 high forecasted for 8/28 (source: WeatherChannel). The Valley's miserable in general, particularly the late summer weather.

UPDATE: So much for Monday's reasonable forecast for 8/28. As of 8/17, the 8/28 forecast of a high of 107 degrees is the highest for the next couple weeks. Yikes!

No excuses not to proactively hydrate big time on arrival, morning of and all game long to help upset the other canines. 2 pm ET kickoff for the Huskies. FSU 247 message board (NOTE: after clicking URL, hit "I'll fix it next time" at bottom to access site):

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll never understand long pregame warmups in the heat. Seen us do it at home and don't get it. Cut it down by half. Most of it's just standing around baking anyway. Another pet peeve..

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
ok

Here's the thing: California and Arizona and LV are not Florida or Texas heat. Fresno environment and that dry stuff is not something we are used to. Methinks you should spend 48 hours there just getting into it. Plus the fanbase ARE rabid dogs.
It is a different kind of heat for sure but my own view is it is easier to deal with than the heavy hot humid stuff we got last week or what you get in Miami from Memorial Day to The day before Memorial Day every year. 100 is basically miserable in any case though.

As I mentioned earlier this thread, it's not just the heat and/or humidity, it's the air quality.
Sucking on a car exhaust is probably no worse than breathing the air in the valley.
It absolutely burns your throat and lungs.

Reaction Score
They better bring all 11 OLineman they think can play. What is travel ream, 65 playerrs?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom