UConn football coach Bob Diaco has agreed to a two-year contact extension through 2020. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn football coach Bob Diaco has agreed to a two-year contact extension through 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Effectively no buyout for HCBD. Interesting move to add years but effectively let him walk for free.
I agree. It's what stood out to me as well.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Was the previous buyout all that much of a deterrent? It's always been the case that he will walk if he wants to walk.

Reaction Score
"UConn Prof" in Courant comment section:

>>UConn Football brought in $7.5m in revenue and had $15m in expenses in 2014. It runs a loss. The University subsidizes this, and other sports, $27m per year. $10m comes from student fees. The coach has a losing record. He gets a raise. So, let me get it straight: The guy is not a good coach, his outfit is not profitable, and he gets a raise that is paid for by students who are facing increasing student debt. Why is this not the focus of widespread public outrage? Furthermore, there is no real link between our "academic success" and the "success" of our athletic programs. Our endowment remains one of the worst in the country for a flagship university. While we have moved up to #57 in the US according to US News rankings (which are not very widely respected), the more statistically sound global rankings of universities places us in the 300-400 range. UConn is a good school. But it is not great. We ought to be placing more emphasis on recruiting and retaining top faculty and students and much less focused on the athletic program<<

Hope he doesn't teach Reading Comprehension!

If he is actually a Prof at UConn, then maybe he's right and UConn is not a very good school. :rolleyes: I find it hard to believe that UConn professors could be that uneducated with how things work and how Diaco is cleaning up a cluster fk from the dufus twins.

My bet is he's not. Probably a WBB fan. (I kid, I kid) :D

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This is a very good for UConn football and tells recruits that coach Diaco is staying for awhile. Maybe the Big 12 looks positively on this as well. We can only hope on part two.

Reaction Score

He linked Diaco to the potential candidates for the recent Rutgers opening. If true, I would not be surprised. Having said that, I think it was too early for him to leave if they offered. My sense is that he wants to see this program rebuilding project of his through before entertaining a move. That, and I think he and his family truly like it here. If he achieves long-term success, we make it to a power conference, and invest in him/the program, he may be here for the long haul. If that happens, the only schools I see luring him away would be Iowa or ND.

Congratulations, Coach! Yes, giving an extension to someone who has a career 8-17 record looks weird, but everything I see coming from this program is that we are poised for a breakout. As long has the offense continues to improve :). I would have done the same thing if I were Herbst/Manuel/Benedict.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Great news! B1G fan of HFCBD. I renewed my season tickets thanks to him. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I'm in a different place on this. Diaco is still an unknown as a HC. Nice progress last year, but there is a long way to go.

Nothing I read suggests that this contract extension has anything in it to deter him from entertaining other offers (buyout). It may be a nice goodwill gesture on UCONN's part, but he blows the doors off the next two seasons he's a hot young coach and will be extremely hard to hold onto. He may be smart enough to wait out his next gig and pick a place where success has a high degree of likelihood, unlike Edsall, so maybe that keeps him around.

Still very untested in my book.

btw, I really like the guy and think he's genuine.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom