UConn football coach Bob Diaco has agreed to a two-year contact extension through 2020. | The Boneyard

UConn football coach Bob Diaco has agreed to a two-year contact extension through 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
B1G news! lol. but timing makes sense as now can tell recruits he has a contract to be at UConn basically as long as they would be there

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I wonder what kind of raise (if any) this includes? That might give us some insight as to whether this is just to extend the term for recruiting reasons, or if this is a proactive move to keep BD happy at UConn. Hopefully this came with a nice raise..which means the school is committed to him....and that the school has the money to pay him (which hopefully means our conference situation will soon improve which will enable more funds for coaches).

I think this is a breakout year for the team...so it makes sense to try an lock him down now.

Reaction Score
McMurphyESPN 2:34pm via Tweetbot for iΟS
UConn’s Bob Diaco received 2-year extension thru 2020, school spokesman said. Diaco will earn $2 million in 2019 & $2.1 million in 2020

Original basic term from NHR:

"Diaco will be paid $1.5 million in 2014 and his salary increases by $50,000 each season during the 5-year contract. If he is still employed at UConn on Dec. 31, 2018, he will receive a $500,000 bonus."

Edit add (couldn't find it first pass): Look like contractual 2 year option @ AD discretion w/ increase: http://blogs.rep-am.com/time_out/files/2013/12/BobDiacoContract.pdf

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I wonder what Head Football coach is worth from a revenue perspective. In other words what % of revenue can be tied to the football coach.

Reaction Score
McMurphyESPN 2:34pm via Tweetbot for iΟS
UConn’s Bob Diaco received 2-year extension thru 2020, school spokesman said. Diaco will earn $2 million in 2019 & $2.1 million in 2020

Original basic term from NHR:

"Diaco will be paid $1.5 million in 2014 and his salary increases by $50,000 each season during the 5-year contract. If he is still employed at UConn on Dec. 31, 2018, he will receive a $500,000 bonus."

Edit add (couldn't find it first pass): Look like contractual 2 year option @ AD discretion w/ increase: http://blogs.rep-am.com/time_out/files/2013/12/BobDiacoContract.pdf

UConn's Diaco Gets Raise, Contract Extension Through 2020

>>The extension is through 2020, and he'll have a pay raise for the remaining years of his contract. Diaco's base salary remains $400,000, but through other factors he was to have made $1.6 million in 2016, he'll now make $1.7 million. In 2017 he was scheduled to make $1.65 million, now he'll make $1.8 million. In 2018 he was scheduled to make $1.7 million, now he'll make $1.9 million. In 2019 he will make $2 million and 2020 he'll make $2.1 million<<

Reaction Score
This contract extension happening now also serves as an additional positive for UConn in any P-5 (Big12) conference expansion discussion. It gets us mention. It shows we're committed to growing our football program and willing to spend for it. Plus the perception of Diaco as a young, dynamic, charismatic coach never hurts. Imagine if we were facing conference expansion having to "sell" dour, phlegmatic, PP.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great move by UConn. I think Diaco is the right guy, even if he's learning on the job.

Given the public departures of some coaches from schools involved in the CR sweepstakes, does Diaco do this if he thinks we are stuck in the American?

Reaction Score
I just wish someone at that has the ability to post on the Courant would set the dipsticks straight who posted comments right away about the value of the contract in terms of base salary, incentives, speaking commitments and that zero dollars are being taken away from any other state program to fund it.

Reaction Score
Effectively no buyout for HCBD. Interesting move to add years but effectively let him walk for free.

Reaction Score
Great move by UConn. I think Diaco is the right guy, even if he's learning on the job.

Given the public departures of some coaches from schools involved in the CR sweepstakes, does Diaco do this if he thinks we are stuck in the American?
Isn't that what happens with all first time head coaches? I agree, I believe he is the right guy. I'm glad he is the man in charge. Looking for a step forward this year. Hard to believe the team won't improve from a year ago. One year older, one more year in systems, one more year with Balis, one more year of experience. 2016-2017 should be BIG!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I think he does, regardless. It's not like he's a hot commodity right now.

I think Diaco is the right guy as well. This is the year for him to make us confident that he is.

FWIW, you were spot on with the learning on the job comment.

Reaction Score

In any career learning on the job never ends. I was an electrical engineering major and still cringe at some of the suggestions I made to senior engineers when I first started my career. I guess the only time we know it all is when we first get out of school. I think the humbling experience eventually helped me be better at my job. I think Diaco will learn/has learned from some mistakes he made. There is no better teacher than mistakes.

Reaction Score
I just wish someone at that has the ability to post on the Courant would set the dipsticks straight who posted comments right away about the value of the contract in terms of base salary, incentives, speaking commitments and that zero dollars are being taken away from any other state program to fund it.

This is a start ;)

Diaco agrees to two-year contract extension at UConn

>>The coaches' salaries are paid using money raised by the athletic department through gate receipts, television contracts and other revenue streams as well as private fundraising by the UConn Foundation.<<

Reaction Score
This is a start ;)

Diaco agrees to two-year contract extension at UConn

>>The coaches' salaries are paid using money raised by the athletic department through gate receipts, television contracts and other revenue streams as well as private fundraising by the UConn Foundation.<<

If only people understood this. There's nothing worse than seeing comments on reddit, facebook, etc. with people saying "WHY DO SPORTS COACHES MAKE SO MUCH MONEY THAT MONEY SHOULD GO TO TEACHERS AND STUDENTS" without realizing where the money even comes from.

Reaction Score
UConn's Diaco Gets Raise, Contract Extension Through 2020

>>The extension is through 2020, and he'll have a pay raise for the remaining years of his contract. Diaco's base salary remains $400,000, but through other factors he was to have made $1.6 million in 2016, he'll now make $1.7 million. In 2017 he was scheduled to make $1.65 million, now he'll make $1.8 million. In 2018 he was scheduled to make $1.7 million, now he'll make $1.9 million. In 2019 he will make $2 million and 2020 he'll make $2.1 million<<

Updated Mike Anthony/Courant story: Benedict's First Big Move At UConn: Extending Diaco's Contract Through 2020

>>Diaco, Benedict and Herbst signed Diaco's new contract on Friday. "There were a few things that still needed to be worked through, but most of the major stuff had been agreed to," Benedict said. "I did have, call it six weeks, to get to know Coach Diaco and his staff a little bit. From everything I can evaluate in a short period of time, which is not a lot, I'm very excited about everything I see. I think he's done a great job and I think he's going to do great things at UConn, and I just hope he's going to be with us for a long time."<<

>>"If you look at our history over 10 or 15 years, we've had success," Benedict said. "I believe we can have success in Storrs with a Division I football program, and I think Bob is a great leader. You have to have a plan about turning around a program that, over the last five years, has not had a lot of success. Having a chance to visit with him over the last six weeks, I believe he has a very specific plan. Everything that he's doing is for a very specific purpose and reason, and there are expected outcomes. Whether we see those outcomes this fall, or two or three years down the line, he's doing things in a very strategic way. And I like that."<<

>>Diaco is the third-highest paid state employee, trailing only UConn basketball coaches Kevin Ollie and Geno Auriemma. The athletic department pays coaches salaries with revenue raised from TV contracts, ticket sales and private fundraising by the UConn Foundation, a not-for-profit, tax-exempt organization.<<

Reaction Score
If only people understood this. There's nothing worse than seeing comments on reddit, facebook, etc. with people saying "WHY DO SPORTS COACHES MAKE SO MUCH MONEY THAT MONEY SHOULD GO TO TEACHERS AND STUDENTS" without realizing where the money even comes from.

"UConn Prof" in Courant comment section:

>>UConn Football brought in $7.5m in revenue and had $15m in expenses in 2014. It runs a loss. The University subsidizes this, and other sports, $27m per year. $10m comes from student fees. The coach has a losing record. He gets a raise. So, let me get it straight: The guy is not a good coach, his outfit is not profitable, and he gets a raise that is paid for by students who are facing increasing student debt. Why is this not the focus of widespread public outrage? Furthermore, there is no real link between our "academic success" and the "success" of our athletic programs. Our endowment remains one of the worst in the country for a flagship university. While we have moved up to #57 in the US according to US News rankings (which are not very widely respected), the more statistically sound global rankings of universities places us in the 300-400 range. UConn is a good school. But it is not great. We ought to be placing more emphasis on recruiting and retaining top faculty and students and much less focused on the athletic program<<

Hope he doesn't teach Reading Comprehension!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom