UConn Football Class of 2022 National Signing Day Coverage (Feb. 2nd >) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Football Class of 2022 National Signing Day Coverage (Feb. 2nd >)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Probably the most important characteristic Mora has displayed. He knows who he is and isn't trying to prove everyone else wrong or use this as the first ring on his ladder of success.

Edsall had to make everyone else wrong moreso than be right himself. PP was same way bringing in his old ways and old cronies. Diaco we all hoped had great success knowing he was bolting if his success led to bigger pastures.

Mora has a bit of that California cool and knowing he is part of the club already and doesn't need to flash anything to get noticed.
P's biggest problem was his loyalty to GDL. Had he hired literally anyone else as OC, that team is going bowling at least a couple times and might have saved us from Diaco. If P was a bad coach he wouldn't be getting jobs in the NFL or in college still.

Reaction Score
P's biggest problem was his loyalty to GDL. Had he hired literally anyone else as OC, that team is going bowling at least a couple times and might have saved us from Diaco. If P was a bad coach he wouldn't be getting jobs in the NFL or in college still.
Two biggest issues with PP:

1) Hiring GDL, especially when he had Joe Moorhead on the staff.

2) Not recognizing he didn't really have a QB when he was hired. They needed a JUCO QB for 2011.

Reaction Score
I'd be curious to know if restrictive admissions policy was discussed in Idaho and any results of or promises of results from that discussion.

Reaction Score
The first thing out of Mora's mouth that I haven't really liked.

It's one thing to hold them accountable like NFL players for things you can do for any team at any level- meetings, film, time management, etc.

But in terms of skill, strength and conditioning Mora has inherited something closer to FCS than NFL and trying to treat them like a finished product rather than extreme developmental players can go astray.
I have no problem setting the bar very high. It’s time to start thinking bigger. It’s time to start setting expectations that are neurons developmental.

Reaction Score
He had Nebrich, which absolutely killed it for Moorhead at Fordham. So he had a QB. Just not a QB he wanted.
Nebrich was a true freshman that year and not ready.

Reaction Score

It's one thing to hold them accountable like NFL players for things you can do for any team at any level- meetings, film, time management, etc.

But in terms of skill, strength and conditioning Mora has inherited something closer to FCS than NFL and trying to treat them like a finished product rather than extreme developmental players can go astray.
I think this was a marketing comment. He’s telling recruits, “I’m an NFL level coach and I’m gonna teach you to be an NFL player.” It isn’t anything to read into. Just more good energy to feed kids.

Reaction Score

1/3 of the NFL does not come from the P5 and not every P5 player goes to the NFL. Things can change over the course of your college career and with the right work and development, G5/FCS talent can end up playing on Sunday. I have no problem with Mora setting the bar high for any of these guys.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

... so you play Johnny McEntee? How did that guy ever get above the rest. I went to the game at UBuffalo and threw up pflegm balls. Nebrich had to be better from Day One. George DeLeone.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

BOOOOOO!

Reaction Score
... so you play Johnny McEntee? How did that guy ever get above the rest. I went to the game at UBuffalo and threw up pflegm balls. Nebrich had to be better from Day One. George DeLeone.
I wish McCummings got a fair shot and not just obvious wildcat packages where everyone including Stevie Wonder knew he was running the ball.

Reaction Score
Agree. He was taller, better arm and more “NFL prototype” Morehead however was building the offense to be more mobile QB. GDLs scheme did not fit the personnel.

Reaction Score
He was a s ready as JM who was a walk on. And they came out of training camp with neither having earned the job.

P. was obsessed with "prototypes" and never gave Nebrich a fair chance.

Reaction Score
I wish McCummings got a fair shot and not just obvious wildcat packages where everyone including Stevie Wonder knew he was running the ball.

Sorry, but the reality does not support your desires. When McCummings was given a chance to throw the ball, which always caught the defense by surprise, he didn’t show the ability of a decent high school QB. I mean, we saw him miss wide open throws by ten yards.

Reaction Score
It is on Pasqualoni. And all you need to know is to look at Mora attacking the QB position in the last 75 days.

PP & GDL had a roster in 2010 with Fraser, Endres, Box, McCummings and McEntee. Plus another walkon in Driscoll. 2011 had the first three gone. Brought in Nebrich - which we can surmise Joe Moorhead had involvement in the recruiting, courtship & commitment. After watching McEntee for a few snaps ... THEY should have known that the Quarterback room needed more. A lot more. And in retropect, yeah ... McCummings wasn't the answer; nor McEntee. And Mike Nebrich was the real deal - if given a shot with Moorhead. But there should have been more talent brought in by those twins.

Reaction Score
P and Deleone came from a Cuse program that played at a very high national level through much of their careers there. They then went onto the NFL in various roles. I wonder sometimes if they were just arrogant enough to think that they would be easily able to continue UCONN's progression given their perception of the level of competition UCONN was up against.

At the end of the day they couldn't have screwed it up any more than they did..............

Reaction Score

The second sentence of Mora’s quote more than adequately explains the meaning of the 1st sentence. He will be coaching them as best he can to achieve their NFL dream. Hopefully we can get back to having a decent NFL pipeline again. Those days when UConn had 15-20 players in the NFL were fun

Reaction Score
Nebrich transferred to Fordham in 2012 after Moorhead was named head coach and he played in 3 games his first year at Fordham. If he wasn't ready to start at Fordham in 2012 with Moorhead, who recruited him at UConn, then I doubt he was ready to start as a true freshman at UConn in 2011. They did recognize the problem and brought in a JUCO transfer QB for 2012, Chandler Whitmer.

Reaction Score
He was the readiest of the unready. Went to the Vanderbilt game that year and talk about a QB that wasn't ready, Johnny M. wasn't ready then or ever.

Reaction Score
It is always fun to look back at what Pasqualoni had on the roster in his 1st year at the helm.

Sio Moore, Blidi, Gratz, Byron Jones, Andrew Adams, Nick Williams, Smallwood, Trev Williams, Shamar Stephen, Geremy Davis, Ryan Griffin and Kendall Reyes.

They lost Todman and Frazer and tried to replace them with McEntee and Lyle McCombs. The big loss was Endres at QB. The starting spot was his.

Reaction Score
He was the readiest of the unready. Went to the Vanderbilt game that year and talk about a QB that wasn't ready, Johnny M. wasn't ready then or ever.
I agree, none of them were ready which is why UConn needed a JUCO.

Believe it or not, for a UConn QB (which has been a low bar), Johnny McEntee performed OK. Here's some crazy stats that really point to UConn's pathetic offenses over the last 16 years:

Since 2005:

Most passing yards by a QB in a season:

1) Chandler Whitmer (2012) 2,664 yards
2) Tyler Lorenzen (2007) 2,367 yards
3) Bryant Sherriffs (2017) 2,287 yards
4) Johnny McEntee (2011) 2,110 yards

Most TDs by a QB in a season:

1) David Pindell (2018) 19
2) Bryant Shirreffs (2017) 14
3) Tyler Lorenzen (2007) 13
4) Johnny McEntee ( 2011) 12

Comparing 2010 QB stats (Fiesta Bowl year) vs 2011 QB stats:

2010 (13 games): 52.7% completions %, 1,964 yards, 10 TDs, 9 Int.

2011 (12 games): 50.7% completion %, 2,336 yards, 14 TDs, 9 Int.

Bonus question. Who was the last UConn QB to throw for more than 20 TDs in a season?

Dan Orlovsky with 23 in 2004.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s amazing that after all the years, all the HCs, all the players, folks still like to discuss Ps decision to go with a YouTube sensation at qb.

FWIW, P recruited well, even at the qb position - see Boyle and Lagow. He sucked at development and communication, so we saw almost nothing from them.

Reaction Score
It is always fun to look back at what Pasqualoni had on the roster in his 1st year at the helm.

Sio Moore, Blidi, Gratz, Byron Jones, Andrew Adams, Nick Williams, Smallwood, Trev Williams, Shamar Stephen, Geremy Davis, Ryan Griffin and Kendall Reyes.

Yet, the constant drum beat in the Courant and on The Boneyard was that the "cupboard was bare." Anyone who cared to look knew the cupboard was loaded.

And that leaves out Deshon Foxx who was in training camp with the Seahawks and Moe Petrus who was in camp with the Tampa Bay Bucs. Both we good college players just a notch below an NFL roster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32