UConn Football Class of 2022 National Signing Day Coverage (Feb. 2nd >) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Football Class of 2022 National Signing Day Coverage (Feb. 2nd >)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
husky box.jpg

Reaction Score
Man I'm pumped. I love that it was nothing but smiles from Mora.

Sidenote: Am I the only one that thinks Mora looks like he's aging backwards now that he's back in coaching? Like he's been revigorated.

Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 6m
Mora opens presser thanking entire staff / university community that brought the 2022 #UConnFootball recruiting class together

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 5m
“This is more than just a coach going out and recruiting a player. It takes everyone. Our players are the biggest ambassador for the program.” #UConnFootball HC Jim Mora

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 4m
Mora on UTEP OL transfer Tres Barboza. “Probably an interior guy for us, but that can play all 5 positions.” #UConnFootball

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 3m
“We want to add size and length to all positions on our team.” - Mora #UConnFootball

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 2m
“I think Cam Edwards is a dynamic player. We’ll start him out at safety. He’s a ball magnet, savvy and a great attitude. Certain guys jump out at you and have the ‘IT’ factor. He’s one of those.” - Mora #UConnFootball

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 4m
Mora said Norwalk's Cam Edwards will start out playing safety: "I think he’s a dynamic player. I’ve watched him a lot…. He’s got unique ball skills. Cam’s a ball magnet. He’s got savvy."

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 1m
“Area of concern heading into recruiting was offensive line. Jack Guidone comes from Dartmouth, wants to make the league and is an interior guy. My prediction is he will be an NFL center.” - Mora #UConnFootball

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 25s
“Will Knight is an explosive running back. Not tall, but he’s thick / big. 215-lb man; can catch ball out of backfield, can block, has contact balance. This team has a lot of good runnings backs; it’s not like old days where you have one workhorse.” - Mora #UConnFootball

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 27s
“We just met OL Nikko Pohahua this weekend. Started his career at Colorado. Not sure his position yet but has build for tackle.” - Mora #UConnFootball

“Prince Samuels from Windsor has primarily been basketball player but is a great athlete and competitor. We’ll start him out at OLB. Local talent and excited to have him on our team.” - Mora #UConnFootball

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 3m
UConn FB coach Jim Mora on Windsor’s Prince Samuels: will probably start at OLB but might see some time on offense as H-back.

“Football character. Leader. Winner. Signed Zion Turner from one of most premiere high school programs in country. All I know is he’s a 3-year starter, is 37-2 as a QB at STA. Has only lost 5 games his entire life.” - Mora #UConnFootball

“Can’t talk about 3rd QB in this class, but he’s coming.” Cale Millen has previously announced commitment to #UConnFootball

“We want competition. That will raise level of all. Zion and other QB can’t be named will not be here in spring.” - Mora #UConnFootball

“We still have work to do. Portal is ever-evolving. After May / spring ball, probably another wave that we’ll look to add to university. We are happy, but no satisfied. We’ll never be satisfied.” - Mora #UConnFootball

“No one is guaranteed a starting position. You may start there, but every day you need to earn that.” - Mora #UConnFootball

“We never used the word sell. It was present the vision of what #UConnFootball is going to become and tell each player how they fit into that.” - Mora #UConnFootball

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 2m
“This building [UConn Football facility] presents itself. I haven’t been in much better than this throughout my career in football.” - Mora #UConnFootball

What defines a successful recruiting period? “Wins. Success. Togetherness. Putting product on that field, a group of men that fans, students, community, the state want to watch because they play with passion, discipline, toughness.” - Mora #UConnFootball

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 52s
“When we look at kids to bring in, you project and think ahead; is this a player you want up there with you on that podium, lifting a trophy. Will that player help you get there?” - Mora #UConnFootball

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 7s
“Tyler [Phommachanh] is doing well. He may start doing some throwing on side, do some 7-on-7. We want to make sure he’s close to full strength when we start in the summer. Don’t want to put him in a position to not have him in the best position he can be.” - Mora #UConnFootball

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jim Mora press conference video: Starts off acknowledging important people behind the scenes (academic counseling, medical/training, travel management, operations, cafeteria staff, etc) and players alike for their positive contributions to overall recruiting success. Revolutionary!

Reaction Score

-> “Just talking to Coach Mora,” Turner said. “I like what he’s building. Hearing about all the great things he did for his former players as a coach. He talked about how he loved the sport so much, it just caught my eye. Just how much football knowledge he has as well. “And hearing those stories and all the different experiences and the different players he’s coached, it was a big role in me coming to UConn.” <-

-> “Coach Mora and his staff did a great job representing UConn’s holistic mission and also selling their vision regarding the winning culture they plan on establishing moving forward,” St. Thomas Aquinas coach Roger Harriott said. Turner said he knew little about the school aside from its basketball success. But he became intrigued as he spoke to Mora and offensive coordinator Nick Charlton. He made an official visit and decided to head north. “The campus is a beautiful campus,” Turner said. “The facilities are definitely Power Five facilities, for sure. People on campus were nice people, everyone greeting you with a smile. Just real genuine people, a place were I want to be.” <-

-> Turner was encouraged after meeting with Charlton, the former Maine head coach who is considered a rising star in the industry. “He has a very big football brain,” Turner said. “Just picking his brain and talking about offense, the different schemes that he runs. He told me he runs whatever can fit the players. Whatever is best for the players, whatever is best for the team, that’s what he runs.” <-

-> Harriott believes Turner’s game will translate to college. “Between his sound football acumen and athleticism, the probability of him being successful on the college level is high,” he said. “He plays football with intelligence and confidence, which enables him to inevitably move the chains and score points on a consistent basis.” <-

-> The Mora era begins Aug. 27 at Utah State. The program without a conference will face Syracuse, Michigan, NC State, and Boston College this season. There are future games with Duke, Tennessee, Maryland, Ohio State and North Carolina. It’s a football existence with Power Five opponents while living out of the Power Five world. But for those who thought independence would be a recruiting drawback, Turner has a message. “I played on the biggest stage in high school. I know what the big stage looks like,” Turner said. “To be honest, I’m all for it. Whatever team we play against, we’re going to give it our all. We’re going to bring UConn some wins. I think it’s great.” <-

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From the Sun-Sentinel. List of Broward and Palm Beach County players signing. This doesn't include Miami-Dade county. These players who signed with UConn practice against and play against multiple D1 players every time they're on the field.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Wow...great job by Mora. Definitely worth the watch. Nice to see a coach who doesn't have disdain for the fans and media.

He really understands leadership...his opening where he thanked...and in some cases named...all the people who have been part of the process was culture building. These people know Mora appreciates their work....and they will go through a wall to support him again. And...he is role modeling how to respect people to his players.

Obviously wins are the biggest thing...so we can't evaluate him yet...but his leadership so far has been exceptional.

Reaction Score
There WILL be a spring game on April 22nd, but NOT necessarily at the RENT. Coach wants to find a facility to accommodate those fans that wish to attend.
Any ideas? Morrone soccer stadium-Willow Brook Park- Duncan Donuts Park-somewhere in Fairfield County?
In any case, Caoch wants it to be a Friday Night Lights type of affair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom