UConn fans….you should be ashamed!!!! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn fans….you should be ashamed!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I will say this:

Anyone who could have made the game today but didn't, you are a significant part of the problem.

@ConnHuskBask .

You were the only dislike to my post. Please explain why..

I think it's pretty ridiculous to claim that anyone who still gives a damn about this program in any fashion is a significant part of the problem.

How about the UConn administration who was outmaneuvered in every step of the way that led us to find ourselves in the AAC. How about Pasqualoni, Diaco, Edsall? How about sitting and watching the worst FBS program of the last decade all while playing 90% of our games against programs nobody here cares about.

I've cited "P5" attendance figures multiple times above and have asked multiple times above who these "big time" programs were supposedly comparing ourselves to are? You think it's a UConn fan thing and our attendance is an anomaly, let alone in the context of the perfect ish storm we've been served for a decade+?

Yeah, was yesterday disappointing? Sure. Will I sit here and say the fans are a significant part of the problem when not a single one of us has made a hire, called a fellow university president, created a depth chart, or ran a play? No.

I'm not even taking personal offense to not having been there yesterday, I'm now out of state with a baby and two year old. I'm more or less speaking on behalf of the fan in CT who's excited and posting on the board now maybe a bit more often, or perhaps for the first time in ages after the feel good win and they need to come here and sanctimonious nonsense stating they are the problem. Way to build a fanbase.

Please.

Reaction Score
Let’s face it, weddings (especially your own) Covid and living in Alaska are legit reasons to miss a game—but barring that, the decision to attend any football game comes down to desire. If you had really wanted to attend you would have made the time, found the money, gathered up your rain gear and arrived. For too many the desire just wasn’t there. And I can even understand why.
Next year when the desire to be here returns, this place will look and feel different. In the meantime, that was a great freaking game and I’m grateful to have been there.

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty ridiculous to claim that anyone who still gives a damn about this program in any fashion is a significant part of the problem.

How about the UConn administration who was outmaneuvered in every step of the way that led us to find ourselves in the AAC. How about Pasqualoni, Diaco, Edsall? How about sitting and watching the worst FBS program of the last decade all while playing 90% of our games against programs nobody here cares about.

I've cited "P5" attendance figures multiple times above and have asked multiple times above who these "big time" programs were supposedly comparing ourselves to are? You think it's a UConn fan thing and our attendance is an anomaly, let alone in the context of the perfect ish storm we've been served for a decade+?

Yeah, was yesterday disappointing? Sure. Will I sit here and say the fans are a significant part of the problem when not a single one of us has made a hire, called a fellow university president, created a depth chart, or ran a play? No.

I'm not even taking personal offense to not having been there yesterday, I'm now out of state with a baby and two year old. I'm more or less speaking on behalf of the fan in CT who's excited and posting on the board now maybe a bit more often, or perhaps for the first time in ages after the feel good win and they need to come here and sanctimonious nonsense stating they are the problem. Way to build a fanbase.

Please.
Excellent post, but you forgot about FfldCntyFan’s consistent lobbying against building an on campus stadium. If there is anything that would show the P5 that UConn is serious about big time football that’s it, and he’s against it.

Reaction Score
The strange thing, to me, was that the parking lot seemed fuller than any other game this season. Maybe I was deceived because I arrived to my tailgate later than usual.
or the LAZ folks continued to screw up

Reaction Score
What a game!! Right up there with best of them! Shame on those who didn't find the time and had no desire to support the State U and truly witness a team and coaching staff that should make everyone proud! Stop with the excuses, you own them!! I've been to the Rent and then supporting this program since 2003, and I'll never understand the people that never go, arrive late to kick off and leave early!! Sad!! So Again, Stop with the excuses, because you own them! You all missed a hell of a game yesterday!! Except it! Thanks to the players and Staff, keep working and play on! Can't wait to witness the next Thriller!

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
this is silly.
u r silly.
r u the same person as that poster pushing for helmets for the basketball players?
and i don't get the part where somehow my enjoyment of being at the big game is dependent upon how many other folks are there.
i was not at this big game. i still enjoyed it tremendously watching at home on the jumbotron. the dogs did too as i hooked them up with more za than usual since i lost track of how much i was dishing out as the game changed direction so many times.
why do you hate dogs? mine run close to 550 pounds alltogether and i might just tell them that u hate dogs.

You have a jumbotron in your house? Sweet.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Keep winning & that place will be filled to capacity in no time - plus remain that way in subsequent seasons. The program has been such a complete dumpster fire for the last decade that many fans remain “cautiously optimistic.” Keep the momentum going!!!

Reaction Score
Let us not excoriate fellow fans because for some of us who lately have missed games - life happened. When my wife was still living we were able to make sure that at least one of us was at all three of our grandkids games. As much as I love UCONN I love my three grandkids and try to go to every one of their games. When my wife was still living she was able to cover the kids games when I went to a Husky football game. I strongly believe that the kids who participate in sports are less much less likely to get into drugs or early drinking. That is how we raised ours. Next season I plan to take all my grandkids to a UConn football game even if I have to do it in shifts. My wife who was also a UConn fan will be watching from far above and approving. Some of us have to make tough choices but not all of us should be ashamed.

Reaction Score
Look, if you're even a Boneyard regular, especially a longtime one, then you're not "part of the problem". Most everyone here cares about UConn sports. The Rent had 15k yesterday - that means 25k that weren't there. Much bigger number than the number of people on this thread defending themselves from other posters shaming them about missing one game.

This is still primarily about winning back the casuals who used to go to games before the post-CR downfall and hideous coaching hires turned the Rent into a morgue. We need them back, and more importantly we need a newer generation of UConn fans to start going, and Mora and this team have put together a tremendous season that has not only begun to changed the culture, but will eventually win over more new fans.

Sure, I was expecting at least a few thousand more yesterday, but it's one successful season and the culture change takes time.

Reaction Score
Tell that to the one thousand or so that ran on to the field doing cartwheels at the games conclusion.
Despite the smaller crowd, it was damn loud and the enthusiasm was off the charts for the last 10 minutes for those that attended and being on the field was an unbelievable experience seeing the smiles on the kids faces realizing what they accomplished. The fans will come back….maybe it’s needing to see a top 20 win, a bowl invitation, a bowl win,…a winning record…a top 50 ranking….some big time recruit signings….as other posters have said, it may take time….hopefully sooner that later….we need and want you back!!! We need the Rent packed again!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
or the LAZ folks continued to screw up
Just a warning. Next year when the Blue Lot is sold out the Yellow jackets will be going back to being hardos.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Look, if you're even a Boneyard regular, especially a longtime one, then you're not "part of the problem". Most everyone here cares about UConn sports. The Rent had 15k yesterday - that means 25k that weren't there. Much bigger number than the number of people on this thread defending themselves from other posters shaming them about missing one game.

This is still primarily about winning back the casuals who used to go to games before the post-CR downfall and hideous coaching hires turned the Rent into a morgue. We need them back, and more importantly we need a newer generation of UConn fans to start going, and Mora and this team have put together a tremendous season that has not only begun to changed the culture, but will eventually win over more new fans.

Sure, I was expecting at least a few thousand more yesterday, but it's one successful season and the culture change takes time.
Yep, the Boneyard is the wrong crowd to be yelling at. People here have stuck with the team through the Dark Years, gone to games, and supported the team. The people complaining about attendance need to go up to campus and lobby the students. UConn runs busses to the Rent for them and rewards them with free stuff. They need to get with the program

HCJM needs to rebuild the fans’ excitement along with the team. He knows this. It’s not like he just has to whip up the fans; he’s starting from scratch because there’s complete inertia in interest from the former fan base that wrote off the team years ago. This win will help - a lot - and a bowl would be huge to stir up interest again. I know I’m going to be looking at going back up to Connecticut to see a game next year.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
What a game!! Right up there with best of them! Shame on those who didn't find the time and had no desire to support the State U and truly witness a team and coaching staff that should make everyone proud! Stop with the excuses, you own them!! I've been to the Rent and then supporting this program since 2003, and I'll never understand the people that never go, arrive late to kick off and leave early!! Sad!! So Again, Stop with the excuses, because you own them! You all missed a hell of a game yesterday!! Except it! Thanks to the players and Staff, keep working and play on! Can't wait to witness the next Thriller!

You all missed a hell of a game yesterday!! Except it!
this doesn't seem fair. so we're all shameful for not being at the game, but ur cousin gets a free pass becuz he was drunk again?
tumblr_p09hndhQfr1rpduwho1_500.gifv

i'll back off iffn u could get him to sign an autograph for me. im a big fan of zz top.

i got to make a new poll now to find out which handle we prefer.
casual shamefuls?
shameful casuals?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the poll will have to wait. first, i have to open up all the windows and fumigate the teletheater. dewey, cheatem, and howe snoozed out by the jumbotron, and it smells like a paper mill, or a glue factory in there, as they apparently spent the night ripping out roni, anchovie, and parmesan breezers nonstop.
note to self: no more everything pizzas for them. switch to the all veggie kind.

Reaction Score
I've stated this many times in the past but I feel it necessary to repeat this: I will never tell anyone what to do with their time or money as each is a resource with limitations (and in nearly the entirety of my adult life, if I had an abundance of one, it normally came with a shortage of the other).

That said, a number of us on the boneyard claim we, as a program, warrant consideration at a level similar to many P5 programs. This is a nice thing to claim but until we demonstrate this with legitimate fan support, the reality is that we have no right to expect a better situation to fall our way.

Yes, a football game requires a significant investment in time and some financial investment (in my opinion a bargain compared other options) but (also my opinion) is worth it during bad times and the biggest bargain on earth during good times.
I think it will change next season. There was a pretty serious fanbase and then a decade of horrendous mismanagement and becoming the worst team in college football destroyed the fanbase. The ridiculous Edsall 5 year plan and being the only school to cancel the season made it look like the school quit on football. I understand why the fans left. It takes a bit of time and belief this is real to build it back up.

I live in Illinois and it's a major pain in the rear money wise and time wise to come out for a game but I'll absolutely be coming out for a weekend game next season. I think you'll see way more people next year, they just need to see the school is committed and this is all real. I love the state of Connecticut and it's beautiful this time of year but let's be honest it's not a big event state, UConn football will be a big event again and the people will come out.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Maybe you didn’t check the weather forecast, but Thursday and Friday the forecast for Saturday was heavy rain with a gale warning. As to you questioning UConn whether or not Uconn should be considered at a level similar to many P5 athletics programs , 22 National Championships in all sports speaks volumes, as does impeccable academic standards. Also last night, the talk on ESPN was Coach Mora is being considered for NCOY. Finally, if you really want to show the P5 that UConn is serious about football, and it belongs at the P5 table, the mistake at the landing strip should demolished and a new one built in Storrs, something you have been critical of from day one.
No, if we really want to show we belong we need to show that we have a following that won't mind being inconvenienced a little to support the programs.

Alabama (I'll let you make the call on whether they qualify as big time and at what point in history they earned that qualification) played every important home game in Birmingham, not Tuscaloosa until the mid 1970's and approximately one game a year for roughly the subsequent dozen years. Keep in mind that Bear Bryant won a number of national titles at Alabama, including one as a player.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Sorry, I was planning on bringing my family of four, but we all got Covid bad this week. My apologies. We did watch on TV though.
Don't apologize! You did nothing wrong.

Also, I hope you feel better soon.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Excellent post, but you forgot about FfldCntyFan’s consistent lobbying against building an on campus stadium. If there is anything that would show the P5 that UConn is serious about big time football that’s it, and he’s against it.
OK, convince me.

Please present the scenario on how we build an on campus stadium.

How do we fund it? What should the budget for the entire project be?

How do we sell the idea of making such a substantial financial investment to the decision makers in Hartford? To the decision makers within the school? What proportion of the state's general population would need to be in agreement with this investment for it to get off the ground?

What time frame do we give for raising the funds? For building the facility?

From here there may be a chance to have an intelligent discussion on the subject matter.

Reaction Score
No, if we really want to show we belong we need to show that we have a following that won't mind being inconvenienced a little to support the programs.

Alabama (I'll let you make the call on whether they qualify as big time and at what point in history they earned that qualification) played every important home game in Birmingham, not Tuscaloosa until the mid 1970's and approximately one game a year for roughly the subsequent dozen years. Keep in mind that Bear Bryant won a number of national titles at Alabama, including one as a player.
Why don’t you just ask Geno or Jim Calhoun how many national championships they won before they had a decent on campus venue called Gampel Pavilion? Or if they noticed a pickup in recruiting once it was built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom