UCONN/DUKE Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UCONN/DUKE Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
That was a satisfying second half. Lots of great shots of the alums in the stands which was an extra bonus. And then Kiah with her first three. Lots of fun.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She was the first off the bench and played poorly. This should be a good learning experience

She wasn't the only one who played poorly in the first half.

In fact, she played exactly 2 minutes in the first half. Not much faith in her by Geno.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Duke's got some nice young talent and they bring in Salvadores next year. If they can find a PG.....

Reaction Score
For a team with basically no guards, I thought Duke has played pretty well against a very tough schedule.

Agreed. The coaching was not the problem; in fact, her changing defenses and employment of traps kept Duke in the game for the first half.

Generally, though, UConn is a much better team when Kia Nurse is on the floor. When she picked up her second foul in the first half, I believe that UConn had either an eight or 10-point lead. Without her, they didn't overmatch the Duke guards any more and the superior size started being a factor for the first time. She also fouled out in the Stanford game (as well as Morgan Tuck); if those two were available, there is no way UConn would have lost that game. IMHO, she is the key to UConn's success; in WCBB, guard play wins championships.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Very poor reasoning since Alabama with 1 loss was ranked #1 for the playoffs and undefeated FSU#3.

It would be poor reasoning if I were comparing their presence in the playoffs to Alabama's presence, but I wasn't. My point is that there is another team that only lost 1 game to a top 5 opponent yet FSU, who barely skated by in several games, is in because they haven't lost a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Who cares who is ranked #1 right now? Neither team should lose a game until February 9th, then all debate can end until the tournament starts.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Just watched the bench reaction when Kiah hit the 3-first Stewie jumps thru the roof, then Moriah hits Geno in the shoulders-think Seinfeld "shut up!!" then Kaleena hits Geno from behind-absolutely PRICELESS!!!!!!!!
I really wish I could have seen this...will have to see if they showed it on the broadcast.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It would be poor reasoning if I were comparing their presence in the playoffs to Alabama's presence, but I wasn't. My point is that there is another team that only lost 1 game to a top 5 opponent yet FSU, who barely skated by in several games, is in because they haven't lost a game. Did I break that down in simple enough terms?
And UCONN is more the equivalent of Bama so your logic concerning FSU as comparison to SoCar still doesn't hold.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
One of the Horde mentioned that there were many scouts in attendance. Even if it is anon, would be very interested in their thoughts on Williams, KML and Stokes.

Reaction Score
It would be poor reasoning if I were comparing their presence in the playoffs to Alabama's presence, but I wasn't. My point is that there is another team that only lost 1 game to a top 5 opponent yet FSU, who barely skated by in several games, is in because they haven't lost a game. Did I break that down in simple enough terms?

The explanation is clear. The comparison is flawed.

Reaction Score
Stewart hasn't played like an AA in any of the three tough games on the schedule thus far.

I thought Stanford she was outstanding. Geno even remarked that after ND game he was happy for Stewie because she finally got some help.
She was part of a team that outrebounded Duke though she was guarding Stevens - not as much chances for rebounds than Tuck or Stokes would have but of course she could be better.
She is the focal point of the offense.
We're able to run a decent halfcourt offense and get players looks because of what she brings. But she can be a lot better.

Looking forward to how things progress. A player like Williams everything is strained for her to score. Stewie is just missing or making some sloppy passes. Very little is forced by the opponent.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
One of the Horde mentioned that there were many scouts in attendance. Even if it is anon, would be very interested in their thoughts on Williams, KML and Stokes.
P.S. In case you missed it, Doris said someone showed E. Williams the article where Lobo suggests Stokes over her for motivation.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And UCONN is more the equivalent of Bama so your logic concerning FSU as comparison to SoCar still doesn't hold.

Wrong again. SC is the equivalent to FSU in comparison to TCU. UCONN is the equivalent to TCU in my scenario. FSU was put ahead of TCU just because they don't have a loss, just as SC is ahead of UCONN just because they don't have a loss.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kinda surprised we didn't hear how stevens can handle the ball after that open court charge.

She's a nice player. But she is a 3/4 though no way is she a sg. And if anyone compared her to Parker - we can throw that out the window.

I like her touch. I'm looking forward to seeing more of her but she needs some guards.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I thought Stanford she was outstanding. Geno even remarked that after ND game he was happy for Stewie because she finally got some help.
She was part of a team that outrebounded Duke though she was guarding Stevens - not as much chances for rebounds than Tuck or Stokes would have but of course she could be better.

Stewart's not a good rebounder at all for her size and length. Watch the game against UCLA where she mistimed numerous chances at boards. Chris Daly publicly talked about her timing problem as a frosh and it hasn't gotten any better. I doubt that ever changes. I'm more concerned with her shot selection and, at times, questionable decision-making.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She was terrific vs Stanford.

I'd say she was very good for 75% of the game and then all but invisible the last 15 minutes. That said, she was being surrounded in the post which was never adjusted to by Geno.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Stewart's not a good rebounder at all for her size and length. Watch the game against UCLA where she mistimed numerous chances at boards. Chris Daly publicly talked about her timing problem as a frosh and it hasn't gotten any better. I doubt that ever changes. I'm more concerned with her shot selection and, at times, questionable decision-making.

As with Griner, taller players are not always great rebounders. Nina Davis is a great rebounder for her size because of her quickness and anticipation, neither of which Griner has possessed.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
She misses Dolson move than I would've thought. Has she scored on any high pass from the perimeter this year?

Does she attract much attention from the other team? Is she double or triple teamed, or are they just letting her shoot?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Others get it even if you don't.

Read what I added. I'm not talking about rankings, I'm talking about FSU's PRESENCE in the NCAAF playoffs compared to TCU being left out. Now, if you want to discuss the playoff seedings let's reconvene when the NCAA WCBB seedings come out in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom