UCONN/DUKE Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UCONN/DUKE Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can understand why duke won't play UCONN anymore. They are getting tired of their annual beat-down. So how can you claim to be a top level elite program if you are too chicken * to play the top teams?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Does she attract much attention from the other team? Is she double or triple teamed, or are they just letting her shoot?

She gets her share of attention, but her shot selection leaves me scratching my head at times. Burke was claiming/hinting Stewart was forcing some of those shots out of frustration or playing too fast. Either way, Stewie can often get in her own way more than the opponents do.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Unless UConn stops being able to score I don't see Chong getting a ton of minutes. Her defense is a liability.
I don't see Chong getting a ton of minutes as long as UConn continues to score. Her defense is a liability.

Reaction Score
Sure am glad ESPN showed us that informative graphic marveling at the wondrous wingspan of Duke's 5 starters- proven to be absolutely meaningless bullcrap.

Could the dummy O'Brien possibly have made more mention of Duke's "incredible size?" The guy has a Freudian obsession with size. UConn's fantastic relentless defense the story of the game.

Reaction Score
I thought Saniya's steal and layup was a big play, both in terms of resetting the momentum of this game, and possibly helping reset the momentum of her season.
I thought she played like she was more involved in the game than she had recently.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Greenwell attempted 2 shots in 33 minutes and missed them both, Calhoun was 0-8 and Johnson was 1-4. The only reason the game was even close at the half was because of UConn's impatience on offense. No one on UConn played great (Mo was the closest) but everyone played well.

Reaction Score
Stewart's not a good rebounder at all for her size and length. Watch the game against UCLA where she mistimed numerous chances at boards. Chris Daly publicly talked about her timing problem as a frosh and it hasn't gotten any better. I doubt that ever changes. I'm more concerned with her shot selection and, at times, questionable decision-making.

Imo its irrelevant what her potential could be because of her size. IMO - fact is she is a good enough rebounder because of her size and quickness allows her to get her hands on a lot of balls. She can learn to clear the ball better too.

But take a look at her opponent tonight - the team we heard so much about their size and what a great rebounding team they were. Stevens was averaging 4 offensive rebounds per game into this contest. And vs. other top 12 teams she averaged 3.75 offensive rebounds. Tonight she got 1. It's because Stewie's size negates offensive rebounding. She's good enough.

As far as UCLA - sure she can get beat. Every great college player has weaknesses one can pick apart- like the example I gave of the Jim Calhoun remarking that the NBA scouts focused on his weaknesses and not his strengths. Cliff Robinson turned out to be a finesse sf/pf- not "Maurice Lucas the Enforcer." Stewie doesn't appear she will ever be an enforcer but that doesn't maker her a bad rebounder. "bad rebounder for her size" is irrelevant because she also defends on the perimeter as witnessed today vs Stevens.

As far as shot selection- I think it has been very good. Again- sure a couple of shots one can focus on. But she is 6'4 --and for the most part - I see good makeable shots from the player you want to be your number 1 option. She needs to keep taking shots and the hsots she is taking overall I think are fine.

I agree with her decision making and sometimes "lazy passing/aloofness" at times. I agree that she needs to continue to work on that.

Reaction Score
A completely dominating second half by the Huskies. Some of the things I took from this game.
Our team defense has made great strides since the Stanford game.
Jefferson seems to be over her "slump". That's 2 superior games in a row.
As usual, UConn took the opponents strength (rebounding) and neutralized it. (38-32 UConn advantage)
What happened to highly rated and one time UConn lean Sierra Calhoun ? If tonight is any indication of how she has played this year, she would never get off the bench if she had gone to UConn.
Gabby's extra free throw practice is paying off. 3 for 3 tonight.
They seem to take turns each game on who will lead the team in scoring. It's the reason why they are so difficult to defend. The other team can't concentrate on 1 or 2 players to defend against. Everybody in the starting lineup can hurt you.
Now for a peaceful night's sleep.

Reaction Score
I'd say she was very good for 75% of the game and then all but invisible the last 15 minutes. That said, she was being surrounded in the post which was never adjusted to by Geno.

I don't agree with your assessment. For example if a player only plays well for a half - and bad the 2nd half - I don't assess she was "okay" - she either played good or bad. Whether it was 75% or whatever - imo she played well. To add to this point - when I look at it (apparently you disagree) if a player plays well- the player's team also has to play well. One player can't do it all- and can't play well on every play. Heck - look at May's jr year in which we saw the crummiest first half finals ever- yet Maya got MVP. Did Maya and Tina "play well?" Yet we all lok back and say Maya was FF MVP with no mention how awful that game was. We could pick it apart or imo just realize how the flow went and say she as good enough for MVP.

Ads far as her being surrounded- I agree- which si hwy even though she was silent- her mere presence allowed open looks for all except KML. The greatness of Stewie is that Stanford deliberately allowed MoJeff/Ching/Tuck/Stokes and Nurse open chances to core because of Stewie. If none of these player can consistently step up then UConn is going to lose more than just 1 game. IMO it isn't Stewie fault. She did everything possible. She even took 7 three's in that game - knocking down four. That's over 40%. Very good. . And she led the team in rebounding in which UCONN won the board battle. This was all Stewie.

Without Stewie's terrifict performance and her mere presence- we would have gotten blown out on Nat'l TV.

Reaction Score
This is like Serena Williams vs. Maria Sharapova, where after a couple of wins ten years ago, it's been all Serena since.

UConn is simply an awful matchup for Duke, and has been for years. UConn can usually match all of Duke's strengths, then apply strengths of their own that Duke can't counter.

Some of that this year is Duke's point guard issue, and that's down to bad luck (injuries, etc). Long term, the bigger part of it is the coaching.

Reaction Score
Greenwell attempted 2 shots in 33 minutes and missed them both, Calhoun was 0-8 and Johnson was 1-4. The only reason the game was even close at the half was because of UConn's impatience on offense. No one on UConn played great (Mo was the closest) but everyone played well.

I thought MoJeff was great. As for Tuck if not great- very, very, good.

Reaction Score
P.S. In case you missed it, Doris said someone showed E. Williams the article where Lobo suggests Stokes over her for motivation.
She should be shown the box scores of her games against UConn... to really make her miserable.

Reaction Score
At this point having watched enough of the top teams, UConn is the best team in the country. With this team it doesn't matter if they're playing ND at ND, Duke, or SMU. They are destroying everybody right now.

Reaction Score
Stewart's not a good rebounder at all for her size and length. Watch the game against UCLA where she mistimed numerous chances at boards. Chris Daly publicly talked about her timing problem as a frosh and it hasn't gotten any better. I doubt that ever changes. I'm more concerned with her shot selection and, at times, questionable decision-making.
And in spite of her problems she demands multiple players guarding her every game. And they take turns hacking her for good measure. When we need her, she'll be there. They rest of them have realized they have to do their part.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Watching the game in person, one could see Duke looking very confused and frustrated when UCONN started the defensive pressure in the first half. Its like they didn't expect it. It also took a lot out of them physically.

Kiah entering and making a couple of authoritative blocks stopped Duke in the lane.

Second half Duke was mentally spent. Their offense had no flow at at. The guards were looking around and the others just stood there like statues. The best was MoJeff's pick of Greenwell. As MoJeff took off down the court, Greenwell just stood there with that "what happened" pained look on her face.

Reaction Score
I think all the hype was not good for Stewie. She is basically not one to thrive in the midst of so much over the toppedness.

?????????????????????????

Wow.

--semper/slu/sawx please don't take offense but I just think your expectations of Stewie have been way too high.

She is playing against other scholarship players too in which the team defense is designed to stop/make it tough on her. No matter any player you focus on - if they are the main weapon- they aren't going to be perfect at anything vs a talented team- especially early in their jr year.

If your expecting every decision/every shot/ every game she is going to nail everything you're going to be disappointed for a long time.

Reaction Score
?????????????????????????

Wow.

--semper/slu/sawx please don't take offense but I just think your expectations of Stewie have been way too high.

She is playing against other scholarship players too in which the team defense is designed to stop/make it tough on her. No matter any player you focus on - if they are the main weapon- they aren't going to be perfect at anything vs a talented team- especially early in their jr year.

If your expecting every decision/every shot/ every game she is going to nail everything you're going to be disappointed for a long time.
To be fair, a lot of people on here have already put Stewie in the same class as Maya and Diana as well as Moriah in the same class as Bird. I think we need to pump the brakes a bit on such proclamations and let their careers play out. In a year and a half when they graduate, then we can evaluate where they stand amongst the all time greats.

Reaction Score
To be fair, a lot of people on here have already put Stewie in the same class as Maya and Diana as well as Moriah in the same class as Bird. I think we need to pump the brakes a bit on such proclamations and let their careers play out. In a year and a half when they graduate, then we can evaluate where they stand amongst the all time greats.

I disagree. She is in the class of these players imo. Two titles- twice being the MVP.

She is playing more like a wing but is a wing/post. She isn't going to look as pretty. But her mere presence gives players open shots while you would have gotten an open shot directly from a Dt pass.

Many of those open 3's MoJeff and KNurse etc get is a lotto do with Stewie's mere presence because of her awesome size/reach. She is different - not as flashy as DT or Maya- that is the difference imo- but we win just as much.

Reaction Score
For the same reason FSU is in the football playoffs.
I truly think that FSU doesn't belong in the playoffs. They're undefeated but they've played mediocre ball for an appreciable amount of the season and been extraordinarily lucky to come back and win some of these games. They've gotten serious good breaks and good calls to help them stay unbeaten but they don't exemplify greatness in any way. They barely beat a Notre Dame team that was obliterated by USC. I think USC (who I am not a fan of, by the way) would beat FSU BADLY and they were an afterthought until the last few weeks of the regular season.

Reaction Score
I disagree. She is in the class of these players imo. Two titles- twice being the MVP.

She is playing more like a wing but is a wing/post. She isn't going to look as pretty. But her mere presence gives players open shots while you would have gotten an open shot directly from a Dt pass.

Many of those open 3's MoJeff and KNurse etc get is a lotto do with Stewie's mere presence because of her awesome size/reach. She is different - not as flashy as DT or Maya- that is the difference imo- but we win just as much.
She didn't look pretty in her first two seasons but she sure looked a lot better last year than she has this year. I don't think it's because of the loss of Stef at all but just the fact that she's forcing stuff and playing sloppily. She made some pretty poor decisions tonight and she's better than that. I don't think you're being very objective. She's got some pretty impressive players playing with her and if you remember, Diana didn't have anywhere near the supporting cast that Stewie had in her junior and senior years and she was playing at a much higher level than Stewie is presently. No one is questioning her ability but she's not nearly as consistent as we would expect and her decision making could be a lot better than it has been. I have no doubt that she'll iron it out but it remind me of her inconsistent play for an appreciable amount of her freshman year.

Reaction Score
She didn't look pretty in her first two seasons but she sure looked a lot better last year than she has this year. I don't think it's because of the loss of Stef at all but just the fact that she's forcing stuff and playing sloppily. She made some pretty poor decisions tonight and she's better than that. I don't think you're being very objective. She's got some pretty impressive players playing with her and if you remember, Diana didn't have anywhere near the supporting cast that Stewie had in her junior and senior years and she was playing at a much higher level than Stewie is presently. No one is questioning her ability but she's not nearly as consistent as we would expect and her decision making could be a lot better than it has been. I have no doubt that she'll iron it out but it remind me of her inconsistent play for an appreciable amount of her freshman year.

IMO it's because she has to play more wing. Have her sit on the post more - she'd be just as efficient but I'm not sure Tuck and Stokes are that great yet at passing.

And I'm not sure DT was playing at a higher level than Stewie all the time in her jr year. For example (I can't find box scores) we beat 3 teams - on Jan 8th we beat RU 67-62 at home (I'm not sure how good RU was that year . But from what I've googled they were preseason Big East prediction of 6th) On Jan 12th at home we beat VTech 69-57. On Jan15th at Seton Hall we won 53-48. I'd like to see DT's performances in these games in which we played mediocre competition.

DT is my favorite women's player ever- but her season stats were 47.6 from the floor while shooting 35% from 3. She did average 4.4 assists but also had 3.1 turnovers. These aren't spectacular numbers. And if we aren't going to go by numbers to really define Dt why should we do it for Stewie when we know her mere presence gives the guards any outside shot they want?

I just think there is a different standard being cut at times because we know the results of Dt and Maya after their jr years and don't really appreciate the size issue Stewie presents to other teams at the present time. As we know teams are often a work in progress- I just don't think Stewie is being given her due at times ot also be a work in progress just as if one were to look at 02-03 and see for example those 3 games vs mediocre opponents and look at DT's DT's overall stats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69