Men - UConn @ California Baptist University Lancers (Friday 3/15/23 *1138p* EDT, Saturday 3/16/24 @8p EDT & Sunday 3/17/24 @5p EDT) Sat./Sun. on ESPN+/Mixlr | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ California Baptist University Lancers (Friday 3/15/23 *1138p* EDT, Saturday 3/16/24 @8p EDT & Sunday 3/17/24 @5p EDT) Sat./Sun. on ESPN+/Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Three games below .500 and sitting with an RPI of 19. I know it’ll fluctuate but it’s amazing what playing a solid schedule does and what value it brings to the program…keep the top 10 SOS schedules coming…line up both the schedules and the rosters within the same season and I think that’s a start to playing June baseball in Storrs. In hindsight, the 22’ roster playing a top schedule and with the success they had, who knows the Supers coulda been in Storrs…CWS? We’ll never know but I think it should be a priority to continue to put together extremely challenging schedules.

Reaction Score
Three games below .500 and sitting with an RPI of 19. I know it’ll fluctuate but it’s amazing what playing a solid schedule does and what value it brings to the program…keep the top 10 SOS schedules coming…line up both the schedules and the rosters within the same season and I think that’s a start to playing June baseball in Storrs. In hindsight, the 22’ roster playing a top schedule and with the success they had, who knows the Supers coulda been in Storrs…CWS? We’ll never know but I think it should be a priority to continue to put together extremely challenging schedules.
It’s not just the solid schedule — it’s that 17 games in, we’ve played 15 true road games, 2 neutral and 0 home games.

So the good news is that we have been really rewarded for winning a good share of road games against one of the toughest schedules in the country. The bad news is that we haven’t played up to even a 7-10 record. If there were KenPoms, we wouldn’t be anywhere near 19. So as the schedule now changes drastically, the question is are we much better than we’ve shown, and our individual performances will show marked improvement now that the competition lessens and we get half our games at homes, or does our lineup and rotation have the holes that the numbers show? Ask me in another week.

But I’ll say this. Like most years, an awful lot of things change with solid starting pitching.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s not just the solid schedule — it’s that 17 games in, we’ve played 15 true road games, 2 neutral and 0 home games.

So the good news is that we have been really rewarded for winning a good share of road games against one of the toughest schedules in the country. The bad news is that we haven’t played up to even a 7-10 record. If there were KenPoms, we wouldn’t be anywhere near 19. So as the schedule now changes drastically, the question is our we much better than we’ve shown, and our individual performances will show market improvement now that the competition lessens and we get half our games at homes, or does our lineup and rotation have the holes that the numbers show? Ask me in another week.

But I’ll say this. Like most years, an awful lot of things change with solid starting pitching.
I don’t disagree regarding the metrics. I think as far as the questions regarding the team’s overall strength, I honestly believe the individual performances (due to weaker competition) will greatly improve, while the holes within the lineup/rotation will continue to be there…just not as obvious as it is against some quality competition continually. The important aspect of the strong schedule shows up in the ncaa where it’s not gonna be the first time ur lineup/staff will encounter that talent. I don’t think that can be underestimated. I still believe their pitching will be the strength of their gonna have success. Finding another 4 reliable bats that can produce in June outside of the (Daniels studleys broadhursts Morton’s Tammaros) is a challenge. Good start on Sunday though.

Reaction Score

Interesting stuff on the relief pitching and on Maddix Dalena. I've mentioned before about his poor summer with Mystic, but I've also mentioned at times that he has done well during fall ball and preseason at UConn. At any rate, perhaps this is the turning point for Dalena. He is also pretty certain to get more playing time, especially if he keeps this up. As Coach Penders says, he is a potential clean up hitter for this team.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I liked the game Dalena had. Going oppo, etc. That bodes well moving forward. 3rd base is a void right now. Padilla has been hurt and can't get in a rhythm and hopefully we will see Minnick take a step forward with more time and a little easier competition. Confidence can go a long way there.

I still expect TC to take over center. Malcolm can hit a bit, so that will help. The next step for that side of the ball is becoming a little more selective at the plate and not always first ball fast ball hitting. Also, we got to work out the kinks on the bases. Way too many caught stealing and picked off. We have always had guys thrown out extending plays, that won't change, but the other stuff is fixable.

Pitching wise, Schild, Van Emon, and Quinn have stepped up and I expect will be better moving forward. Coe is Coe. I expect Quigley and Sullivan and Ellison to get better. Don't know what to make of Ian Cooke at this point.

Reaction Score

So the good news is that we have been really rewarded for winning a good share of road games against one of the toughest schedules in the country. The bad news is that we haven’t played up to even a 7-10 record. If there were KenPoms, we wouldn’t be anywhere near 19. So as the schedule now changes drastically, the question is are we much better than we’ve shown, and our individual performances will show marked improvement now that the competition lessens and we get half our games at homes, or does our lineup and rotation have the holes that the numbers show? Ask me in another week.

I failed to mention this, but ur right, the importance of 15 true road games is a factor.

Uconn hosting anyone other then the BE and a few midweeks (kstate the exception), we’ll never truly understand what a baseball home field advantage is in relation to an advantage against top level programs.

Reaction Score
Interesting stuff on the relief pitching and on Maddix Dalena. I've mentioned before about his poor summer with Mystic, but I've also mentioned at times that he has done well during fall ball and preseason at UConn. At any rate, perhaps this is the turning point for Dalena. He is also pretty certain to get more playing time, especially if he keeps this up. As Coach Penders says, he is a potential clean up hitter for this team.

Dalena did well in the games against Cal Baptist. Definitely expect that he will get more starts as a result, including more time at 1B since he does well defensively at that spot. I would expect he will definitely get more playing time against righty starting pitchers. Assuming Dalena does get more time, it will be interesting to see who gets more time on the bench. It will also be interesting to see if Luke Broadhurst gets any playing time at 3B. Broadhurst has not seen any time at 3B during regular season games at UConn, but he has seen time there during fall ball. I would think Malcom will continue to get some time at D.H. and catcher. It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom