Men - UConn @ Cal Baseball Classic in Berkeley CA (Fri. 2/24/23@10p v. Cal-Poly, Sat. 2/25/23@5p v. Cal. Sunday Game v. Cal was rained out. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ Cal Baseball Classic in Berkeley CA (Fri. 2/24/23@10p v. Cal-Poly, Sat. 2/25/23@5p v. Cal. Sunday Game v. Cal was rained out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bottom 7th, S. Quigley with a scoreless inning after giving up a 2 out single. 4-2 Cal.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
S. Quigs has had a nice outing thus far.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Chris Jones saying that the game time for tomorrow could be pushed back a little to avoid morning and early afternoon rain. UConn has a late flight home, so they have some flexibility.

Reaction Score
Top 8th, with 2 out and Huber on 1B with a walk, Maddix Dalena pinch hits for Padilla, but hits a hard grounder for an out to end the inning. 4-2 Cal. Transfer Paul Tammaro takes over at shortstop making his debut in a UConn uniform.

Reaction Score
Bottom 8th, S. Quigley with a 1-2-3 inning, 4-2 Cal going to the top of the 9th. Excellent outing for Quigley, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Top 9th, Brini and Daniels pinch hit for Studley and Garbowski. Daniels is robbed of a hit for the second out. Broadhurst is hit by a pitch with 2 outs, but that is it for the UConn offense in this game. Cal wins 4-2.

Reaction Score
Was at the game today. My high level thoughts:
1) thought Sullivan was getting squeezed early with tight strike zone but as innings went on his command faded. Can’t be behind every hitter. I do like his stuff IF he throws strikes. But cant be walking every lead off hitter obviously.
2) Quigley shows what happens when you throw strikes. Gave them a chance to win. Biggest positive of the day. Worked in a nice rhythm and attacked hitters.
3) offensively I was surprised at the number of low quality at bats especially after Cal starter was pulled early. Too many non-attack ABs. They should have been able to muster more against the Cal bullpen.
4) I think they need to find a way to get Daniels bat in the line up. Drove one in pinch hit role in 9th and left fielder made an outstanding catch. Ball jumps off his bat differently than most hitters. Like Green from Cal ball really jumps.
5) I sat behind UConn dugout on the benches as there is no formal seating on 3rd base side. First time here and really a unique setup. Dugout didn’t have that juice it normally has. Last night was a late one so maybe a bit flat today.
6) Morton’s back/hamstring seemed to be bothering him in second half of game. Was using that muscle stimulation device 2-3x in dugout late in game. got much colder as game went on so may be nothing but tightness due to colder weather.

Reaction Score
Cal playing some solid ball… doesn’t look like they will eat up too many bullpen arms tonight.

Reaction Score
Hoping for a split with Cal. Weather will definitely be warmer next week at FAU, Should be in the 80s.

Reaction Score
I forgot to add this in my prior post but I was very impressed with Coach Penders and Coach Macdonald regarding in-game coaching in the dugout. Both are true leaders and UConn is fortunate to have them. Examples with Penders include talking to Brini and Daniels before their pinch hit at-bats in the 9th with encouragement and then again with Daniels after the at-bat giving him positive feedback. It may seem trivial but this is very impactful on young players and boosts confidence. Lot of D1 coaches don’t do that. Most on this board know this but Coach Mac’s intensity is just tremendous. Lives and dies with every pitch. Also teaching during the game with the bench players in regards to pitch selection, etc. Great compliment to Penders.

Reaction Score
Not only is it great that we see they compliment each other- they realize it too. They both have different styles but both believe you are never out of a fight/game.

Reaction Score
Was a light mist until about 5 minutes ago coming down a bit harder now. If they had pushed it up to 11am would have worked.

Reaction Score
Top 1st, David Smith with a leadoff double, a 1 out wild pitch moves Smith to 3B, but he is stranded. 2 UConn batters struck out. No score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom