UConn baseball 3/2/12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn baseball 3/2/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice come from behind win... 4 in the 8th To tie... Walk-off single in 9th w/ bases loaded. Talent gets rougher next weekend. 4-6 but building.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
A win like this can go a long way towards building confidence, especially after some of the rough losses this team has already had in late situations. Sometimes it takes a game like this to remind yourself that you have the talent to win games in close situations.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We played a bit better this weekend. Frankly, Lipscomb isn't too bad a team.

Reaction Score
Adequate results but I'll take the 2 wins over Lipscomb, wish we could've beaten MissState though anyways on to Oregon! to face Oklahoma, Illinois, Oregon State, Oregon

should be fun then we got a game against U of Seattle in Seattle

mets1090

Reaction Score
Anyone know how good these 5 teams are supposed to be this year/historically?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Oregon State is really good. Oklahoma is supposed to be good but I don't think they have played that well so far this year.

Oregon will be an interesting re-match from two years ago. Sucks that we couldn't beat MSST but we were competitive on the road.

mets1090

Reaction Score
In the end I'm hoping for OK play OOC and a pretty good performance in the Big East this year. I would sign up for 3-2 in the next 5 games as there are some tough games in there and they are either road games or virtual road games against Oregon, Oregon State and Seattle.

Looking at this group of games in a vacuum, 2-3 wouldn't be catastrophic for a young UConn team but given the somewhat weak performances in the first 3 weekends, I think it would be more disappointing than it otherwise would be.

As far as the Oregon rematch goes, I'm trying to think of any players now that were important members of the team that was beat by Oregon that year. Ferriter started in LF for all or most of that year. Mazzilli was hurt for a lot of the year but played during the tournament I think. Pavone was splitting duties with Elliot behind the plate. Other than that, Springer, Andreoli, Ahmed, Olt, LePage, Nemeth and Vance (who DHed and closed that year) are all gone.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Evidently, Oregon is ranked #12 in the country. They had an off year last year but returned much of their team.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Isn't Oregon the team that revived their baseball program like 3 years ago. I believe when we played them they were comprised of Freshmen, Sophomores and transfers.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Correct, which makes their mediocre year last year that much more confusing. They actually took a step back, despite having more experienced players.

mets1090

Reaction Score
My guess is the wave of transfers all graduated so the Juniors that were playing last year hadn't necessarily had as much playing time as you would think due to being buried by said transfers.

Reaction Score
I know they had a great year last year, but it's amazing how not ready for prime time these guys tend to be in pressure situations against big-name teams. Turn two boys!

Too true. Two years ago at Dodd Stadium, a touted UConn team dropped both games to Oregon and were only able to defeat Central (the preverbial 'little brother'). Last year, they avoid the same scenario (coming away with only a win against in state Sacred Heart) by evening things up against Coastal Carolina and sweeping Clemson. That was sweet. Beating the big boys. Sure they got swept by South Carolina (eventual champs) but so did Florida, so did Virginia. And, that's good company.

Gotta beat the Mississippi States of the world. A win against them carries a lot more weight (legitimacy) then a win against Liscomb. This weekend is one of the most important for the Huskies this season. Need to gain back some measure of revenge against Oregon. Maybe pull off a win against Oregon State. Can't lose to both of Oregon's "State U's". A win against Oklahoma provides some measure of satisfaction after the Fiesta Bowl defeat. And beating Illinois will provide some measure of satisfaction after a disappointing 1-2 record in the Big East/Big Ten challenge.

One thing for certain, if the Huskies go 0-4 this weekend, the season will pretty much be a disappointment short of an unforseen run against some of the best in the NCAA's come June.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
any 1 see wvu is off to a hot start here? hope we turn it around....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom