Men - UConn Baseball @ 2023 NCAA Tournament’s Gainesville Regional (6/2>6/5). Elimination Sunday 6/4/23 v. Florida Gators @Noon on SEC Network | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball @ 2023 NCAA Tournament’s Gainesville Regional (6/2>6/5). Elimination Sunday 6/4/23 v. Florida Gators @Noon on SEC Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGB

Reaction Score
The short answer is no. If they need 27 innings they will get 27 innings, but it’s going to require Penders to leave guys like Ellison and Correa (not necessarily them but other lesser used pitchers) longer leashes than he gave them today. But let’s try it game by game, and assume all 3 games are close where we can’t let a second tier pitcher go a few innings even if they get pushed around.

Game 1 tomorrow: we’re fine. Coe for 6, Afthim for 2, Willis to finish. No excuses at noon.

Game 2 tomorrow: this is the big issue, because some arms who pitched yesterday or today will be able to throw again on Monday night. I’m almost certain Sullivan will start, but Penders is going to have to let him go 4 or 5 innings even if he’s struggling. We will need a lot of runs. Let’s say he goes 4. Novak for 2 gets you to six. Then, say, 1 inning each from Quinn, Correa and Abbadessa.

Monday night: If somehow we get to here, I expect Quigley, Fogell , Ellison and rubber armed Kirby to be back, although limited. So let’s say Ellison and Quigley get you 2 each. And then, coming from the back end, Willis has the 9th, Afthim the 8th, Fogell the 6th and 7th and Kirby the 5th. Something like that. Obviously, innings that anyone can go depends on pitch count as well. While everyone will be tired, you can do it with first tier pitching. Which means it’s the second game tomorrow that may take a dozen runs or more.

The good news is that Texas Tech beat Florida, so we only have to deal with the better team once, and with a staff that can get it done. And then the bats and the staff are going to have to get us through the Red Raiders.
There may be an opportunity for a little luck here...

...it's supposed to rain all afternoon tomorrow in Gainesville. That would be huge, as they would likely play one at night tomorrow and the doubleheader on Monday, when you may get back guys that pitched yesterday and today. If that happens and UConn is not doomed enough to lose tomorrow, the innings could go like this...

Sunday: Coe 6, Afthim 2, Willis 1

Monday game one: Fogel 4 (Penders has started high leverage relievers before), Ellison 3, Quinn 1, Willis 1

Monday game two: Sullivan 3, Quigley 2, Novak 2, Kirby 2.

Correa is next man up for me. And if any of Coa, Afthim, Fogel, Ellison, Sully, Quigley, or Novak are cruising at the end of my above allotments...ride them.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There may be an opportunity for a little luck here...

...it's supposed to rain all afternoon tomorrow in Gainesville. That would be huge, as they would likely play one at night tomorrow and the doubleheader on Monday, when you may get back guys that pitched yesterday and today. If that happens and UConn is not doomed enough to lose tomorrow, the innings could go like this...

Sunday: Coe 6, Afthim 2, Willis 1

Monday game one: Fogel 4 (Penders has started high leverage relievers before), Ellison 3, Quinn 1, Willis 1

Monday game two: Sullivan 3, Quigley 2, Novak 2, Kirby 2.

Correa is next man up for me. And if any of Coa, Afthim, Fogel, Ellison, Sully, Quigley, or Novak are cruising at the end of my above allotments...ride them.
The only change I would make to your statement is the early game (UConn-Florida) will be played at noon, and the late game will most likely be postponed until Monday. The weather forecast I just searched expects it to start raining at 3:00.

Reaction Score
There is a chance of thunderstorms during the game this afternoon, but the probably does not exceed 50%. From the forecast I was looking at, it looks like there should be a good chance that 2 games can be played today at this Regional.

Reaction Score
Two big elimination games for Big East vs SEC. My primary focus is UConn vs Florida. Secondly, Xavier vs Vandy. Let's go Huskies. BTW, afternoon thunderstorms is nothing unusual this time of year in central Florida.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Waldrep will probably strike out tons of our hitters. He is long ball prone and walks a lot of people so we can still get on the board.

Reaction Score
We seem to be typically slow starters, getting off to an early lead would be nice.

Reaction Score
Top 1st, a scoreless inning for the UConn offense after a leadoff walk. No score.

Reaction Score
This is certainly one of those all hands on deck games for the pitching staff. UConn certainly needs some productive innings from Coe today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom