UCONN Back to #10 on 2-26-24 AP Poll (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN Back to #10 on 2-26-24 AP Poll (merged)

Reaction Score
I have access to watch these teams across the country and I think we can beat a lot of them. From what I’ve seen, we get everyone’s A+ game because some of the teams we’ve lost to do not look like the same team when I’ve watched them in other games. Also in the tourney they will knock each other out, that’s what I’m seeing this year, so because of that we can have help getting back to the final four this year. Besides South Carolina the rankings haven’t meant much. Hate to put it on one player but our final four hopes rests Ice. She is going to be really good for us but we need her to be a presence down low now for us to move deep into the tourney. Even if it’s just rebounding. I noticed during DePaul Geno was playing her at times with the starters with KK out. That’s the lineup we will need against the really good teams to be successful and he knows it. If Ice steps up then I think it puts us in the final four at the very least.
Interesting observations. I'm in general agreement especially with the Ice comments against larger more seasoned opponents. She is needed to set picks for our smaller shooters and clear out an attack channel for penetration by our guards. Ice is the key for Edwards to play away from the hoop, and like yesterday, pick off some passes between the key and half court. Ice needs to play bigger by extending her arms and stance to provide a stronger passing target for picks when clearing out. The potential is there and needs to be coached. When Ice can tally 8-10 points a game we are a different team. That opens up many options for other players.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Louisville lost twice last week and only dropped 2 places? Hammered by Virginia Tech and lost at home to Virginia. That's a far worse week than Stanford had. I see plenty of kvetching about Stanford, but not a peep about Louisville.
Louisville is no longer in competition with UConn for tourney seeding, so there's no need to cast judgment on this beneath you. ;)

Reaction Score
Interesting observations. I'm in general agreement especially with the Ice comments against larger more seasoned opponents. She is needed to set picks for our smaller shooters and clear out an attack channel for penetration by our guards. Ice is the key for Edwards to play away from the hoop, and like yesterday, pick off some passes between the key and half court. Ice needs to play bigger by extending her arms and stance to provide a stronger passing target for picks when clearing out. The potential is there and needs to be coached. When Ice can tally 8-10 points a game we are a different team. That opens up many options for other players.
Exactly she doesn’t need to be an all American this year, just be a steady presence doing all the little things like you said but be solid and look like she belongs out there because she does. I watched most of the pac 12 and big 10 teams yesterday and a lot this year, they are all good but I don’t see anything we can’t overcome. Just Aaliyah needs a partner. I believe that Paige can carry us like Diana did if everyone else played a role like D’s team did. The one role that’s undefined is that second big. We won’t get far without that.

Reaction Score
I agree definitely Va Tech has earned the spot, they have been looking great lately. To be fair, UCLA played Stanford without Betts, if you take into consideration Brink was out. And USC should be right up there because JuJu single-handedly beat Stanford with her 51 points. Also Stanford only having to play several of the top teams in the PAC 12 once comes to mind. I’m not a Stanford hater at all. A local friend from our area played for Stanford years ago. I think the AP has been too easy on Stanford this year.
I have two sisters who have their Bachelors from Va Tech and went to grad school at UConn, so I’m all for Va Tech getting a one seed.

I don’t agree with the PAC-12 not doing a full round robin, let alone changing the number of schools that only play each other once from two to four this year. I dug through the past 6 years schedules and Stanford lucked out by the four schools due in the rotation to not play twice this year currently being 3rd-6th in the PAC-12.

My prediction for Stanford this year was a 2 seed, there just hasn’t been three teams besides South Carolina with a very strong case to be ranked ahead of Stanford. Not a lot of separation between #2 and #10.

Reaction Score
Note sue I would have ranked UConn ahead of NC State or Colorado, but it's a pretty reasonable ranking list overall.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You non-UConn fans take your complaints about the #10 ranking to the General board

2C9FAC1B-C7B4-4FF4-8603-10F445106117.jpeg

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Louisville lost twice last week and only dropped 2 places? Hammered by Virginia Tech and lost at home to Virginia. That's a far worse week than Stanford had. I see plenty of kvetching about Stanford, but not a peep about Louisville.
Consider Louisville kvetched. ;)

If something like 14 other top-25 teams hadn't lost, Lou might have dropped quite a bit.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Indiana and NDame should be a couple of places higher.
If Indiana hadn't lost to Illinois last week, I'd heartily agree. Before that they'd beaten every team they should have beaten. Even Illinois isn't a "bad loss", but it's still a loss to an unranked opponent.

Reaction Score
Depending on the results of the game tonight between #12 Colorado vs #8 UCLA, UConn’s #10 ranking could be short-lived if Colorado wins.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
All seems reasonable except Stanford. Really feel they needed to drop more due to a loss to unranked Arizona. I realize they were playing without Brink, but if UConn lost to Arizona, it would have been a major drop!
I agree and also surprised USC stayed in the same spot losing to a lower ranked team (Utah) at home.

Reaction Score
UConn will move up a spot or two before the selection Sunday with conference tournaments leading to teams above us losing games, we may end up anywhere from 7-10.

With the committee trying to avoid teams from the same conference, we may end up in the same bracket as South Carolina, which is obviously the worst place to be in if your goal is to at least reach the final four. The committee may put a team ranked 7,8, or 9 in the overall top seed’s group as a second seed.

It’s going to be tricky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom