UConn at BU in HE playoffs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn at BU in HE playoffs

Reaction Score
I like the consensus on USCHO about staying at 11 and going with top 8 teams for post-season like you have brought up here in the past. It makes teams fight for something and to me would make for some great hockey down the stretch with a post season berth on the line. QU and unfortunately HC work for travel ...after the ND debacle travel wise RPI would be a hike for a lot of teams.
I agree, though I don't think RPI would be THAT bad. It's a bus-able trip for everyone so it wouldn't require the plane that ND did. That was the main problem with them. It's 175 miles from the Boston schools, less than that from Amherst, UVM, and UConn so it's not outrageous. The main problem is RPI has been downright awful for a long time, so it doesn't justify adding a team that's a bit out of the way.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Holy Cross is a great fit either. But I’ve heard that QU isn’t interested. They like the ECAC and sort of like the mule entered in the Kentucky Derby they appreciate being associated with schools like Yale, Harvard and the others. I guess the HE leadership would love URI to be #12. They really wanted UConn too but Rhody is not even considering a program despite the fact that he Atlantic would take them in a heartbeat. And I think Hockey East would give them 5-6 years to develop there. I’ve also heard that Hockey East is really hung up on staying in New England exclusively at this point which adds to RPI’s difficulty in gaining acceptance. I’m guessing if QU stands pat, URI doesn’t take a step that eventually they will settle on Holy Cross to get to 12.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Holy Cross is a great fit either. But I’ve heard that QU isn’t interested. They like the ECAC and sort of like the mule entered in the Kentucky Derby they appreciate being associated with schools like Yale, Harvard and the others. I guess the HE leadership would love URI to be #12. They really wanted UConn too but Rhody is not even considering a program despite the fact that he Atlantic would take them in a heartbeat. And I think Hockey East would give them 5-6 years to develop there. I’ve also heard that Hockey East is really hung up on staying in New England exclusively at this point which adds to RPI’s difficulty in gaining acceptance. I’m guessing if QU stands pat, URI doesn’t take a step that eventually they will settle on Holy Cross to get to 12.
Unfortunately a lot of truth here. There's a lot of curmudgeons within HE that won't go outside of New England, even if it's literally a few miles over the border into NY. If they fix the conference tournament structure (eliminate 9-11, top 8 play QFs) then the 11-team conference can work. I'd much prefer that, plus a slightly unbalanced schedule, than pick up a dead weight 12th team.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately a lot of truth here. There's a lot of curmudgeons within HE that won't go outside of New England, even if it's literally a few miles over the border into NY. If they fix the conference tournament structure (eliminate 9-11, top 8 play QFs) then the 11-team conference can work. I'd much prefer that, plus a slightly unbalanced schedule, than pick up a dead weight 12th team.
It makes for interesting hockey down the stretch especially if teams are playing 2 to end the season with a playoff spot on the line. Also makes coaches accountable and possibly on the hot seat if they can’t get their program into the post season.

Reaction Score
You can look at it that way...but at the end of the day this finish is what the program needs. The kids who are returning will want that as a minimum bench mark...next year let’s host that round. Let’s be honest ..a few games go the other way..specifically the Maine and Merrimack games in OT and the losses to Merrimack & season final to UMass...they are hosting BU as the 4th place team.
Very true.

Reaction Score
after the ND debacle travel wise RPI would be a hike for a lot of teams.
I'm an RPI alum, 72 - 76. Played baseball there and the bus rides to St. Lawrence and Hobart were brutal.

The hockey players were all Canadian, in the School of Management (not engineers, not the sharpest tools in the shed).

We had some great puckey teams then, our goalie Donny Cutts had a cup of coffee in the NHL. He was after my girlfriend but I fought him off.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
We have two threads in one.

On the expansion thread, I'd prefer URI over anyone else. It would be sweet to get that last New England state school in.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if any of these games are on TV?

The only games televised are the semifinals and final.

All other playoff games are only available online for $9.95 per game or $59.95 for the entire playoffs.

It is atrocious.

Reaction Score
The only games televised are the semifinals and final.

All other playoff games are only available online for $9.95 per game or $59.95 for the entire playoffs.

It is atrocious.

Good thing we got the bye then, but that is lame.

Reaction Score
Altavilla:

>What's up, @UConnMHOC fans? Just wanted you to know that Coach Cavanaugh said again today he won't make his decision about who starts in goal against BU in @hockey_east until next week. Could be @adamhuska30 or Tanner Creel

>Coach Cavanaugh also said a flu bug has been passing through the locker room. Max Kalter, Karl El-Mir, Kasperi Ojantakanen and Evan Wisocky have all been ill. @UConnMHOC #icebus

Reaction Score
You aren't at all. Most don't want them, in their current form, including those in Hockey East leadership. The one everyone wants is QU but they seem content sticking around ECAC. HC's on-campus facility is terrible and too small and they aren't nearly popular enough to make a dent at filling the DCU Center. They tried playing BC and Providence there over the past couple of years and each barely drew 2,500. The program isn't good, they have weak fan support, and their facility makes XL look like a palace. HE is probably going to wait things out for a bit and see where the dust settles in any future realignment or program adds. They probably will poke the cage with QU once more down the line, see if there's any interest at URI, potentially look at RPI, and perhaps other options I don't know about all before extending an invite to Holy Cross. No one wants them.

I like the consensus on USCHO about staying at 11 and going with top 8 teams for post-season like you have brought up here in the past. It makes teams fight for something and to me would make for some great hockey down the stretch with a post season berth on the line. QU and unfortunately HC work for travel ...after the ND debacle travel wise RPI would be a hike for a lot of teams.

I agree, though I don't think RPI would be THAT bad. It's a bus-able trip for everyone so it wouldn't require the plane that ND did. That was the main problem with them. It's 175 miles from the Boston schools, less than that from Amherst, UVM, and UConn so it's not outrageous. The main problem is RPI has been downright awful for a long time, so it doesn't justify adding a team that's a bit out of the way.
Interesting thread. When I was at PC 18 years ago Holy Cross was a schedule filler on Sundays before league play started, solid decent team.
Around the time I graduated URI had just built Boss Ice Arena. It looks like many arenas in Atlantic Hockey. URI would have to have serious upgrade to join Hockey East and a moderate upgrade to join Atlantic as some of their teams are building on campus arenas (Bentley, AIC.) Their athletic program is in flux with the Football team and facilities. Some alumni want the Football team dropped, and saved $$$ put into the hockey program.
Hockey East has long wanted Quinnipiac ever since they upgraded their school and program, but QU seems to be really happy where they are.
I seem to remember when Hockey East had 9 teams the 9th team would stay home when playoffs started (usually Merrimack. ) I like the top 8 teams going to the playoffs, if you can't be successful enough to stay out of the bottom 3 then stay home. Keep HE at 11 until circumstances reveal a good fit.

Reaction Score
UConn and BU quickly trade goals early in the 1st period. Max Kalter scores for UConn.

Reaction Score
Goal by kalter and huska gives one up less than 10 seconds later.

Let's hope he doesn't give up another soft one from being away for so long.

Tied 1-1

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom