uconn and cincy talk all new sports league | Page 2 | The Boneyard

uconn and cincy talk all new sports league

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Joining CUSA forces UConn to align with schools that CUSA has already admitted into their number as full members (such as FIU and North Texas), and locks UConn into any existing media contract they have.

Making our own league allows us to control who's in the league, and we'll be able to get our own media contract (as small as it's likely to be).

I said all of that in the post you replied to. I'm aware of the contract issues. But this new league option isn't so much of a step above the CUSA that I'd want to sign a GOR for it. On a scale of 1-10, CUSA is a 4, this mess will be a 5. I'd rather be in the CUSA knowing we can leave at any time than lock into a lifetime of something that's only marginally better.

Reaction Score
Joining CUSA forces UConn to align with schools that CUSA has already admitted into their number as full members (such as FIU and North Texas), and locks UConn into any existing media contract they have.

Making our own league allows us to control who's in the league, and we'll be able to get our own media contract (as small as it's likely to be).

Good post.

This league is large cut above what CUSA is. There is not going to be a Tulane in this equation.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I said all of that in the post you replied to. I'm aware of the contract issues. But this new league option isn't so much of a step above the CUSA that I'd want to sign a GOR for it. On a scale of 1-10, CUSA is a 4, this mess will be a 5. I'd rather be in the CUSA knowing we can leave at any time than lock into a lifetime of something that's only marginally better.
And anyone in the ACC and B!G would make this same assumption. So it is unlikely the GOR threat will cause either conference to flinch. The best bet would be to have the dissolution of the BE drag out for as long as possible and hope for more conference movement. But that path resides on the report that at least two football schools need to agree with dissolution. I'm not sure that is the case based on the pdf posted above.

Reaction Score
Take them all. Keep Houston, SMU, Tulane, ECU. Go 16. (only play 1 or 2 crossovers in football; round robin+2 crossovers for basketball)

To avoid the GOR, take schools that have reasonable* aspirations for moving into a better conference. Nevada and New Mexico are flagship state universities that could imagine themselves in the P12**. UNLV, Boise, and any others could perhaps see themselves in the B12.

Regardless, to avoid GOR, pitch like the lower division of EPL: do well, maybe you get called up.

*I use reasonable here in the loosest terms.
**They're not going to get invited, but since Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and maybe Texas one day are in, they geographically make sense and could convince themselves.

I'd say limit it to 14, less mouths to feed with any media contract, and with 14 you can have some semblance of a "conference feel". Two 8 team divisions will really end up being like 2 conferences under 1 banner, and then why not just have 2 separate conferences.

Two 7 school divisions East/West, allows most of your non-revenue sports to schedule within their division, but you can have a decent # of cross-over games in basketball and football...

Might look something like this:
East:
UConn
Cincy
Temple
Memphis
USF
UCF
ECU

West:
Boise
SDSU
Houston
SMU
and let Boise select the other 3 (you don't want them leaving):
Nevada/New Mexico/Fresno/UNLV/Tulsa

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just hope they don't call it the "Transcontinental Conference". They might call us the Trannies.
You went a long way for that...was it worth it? I have to vote yes, because I read it paused and then laughed out loud.

Reaction Score
As we have seen, NOTHING permanently locks us out of moving. It's just Cost. You pay it.

Reaction Score
You went a long way for that...was it worth it? I have to vote yes, because I read it paused and they laughed out loud.

I'm having a hard time laughing this evening. But I am glad I made someone else laugh.

Reaction Score
As we have seen, NOTHING permanently locks us out of moving. It's just Cost. You pay it.

If the GOR doesn't allow the conference you're moving to to show your games, no one will want to play you.

Reaction Score
Well, I'm easy.

It's a sad day and I'm not being all that productive. I think I might wrap things up and go to my daughter's basketball game. That just feels right today.
Sounds like a great idea. It doesn't get much sadder than today.

Reaction Score
Keep this league at 12 schools. With the Western schools out of the picture for the Pac and UConn, UC and USF off the board in the east, the B!G, SEC and Big 12 would be left with going after the ACC. Any of the remaining ACC schools would be better options than Tulane and Memphis.

East
UConn
Cincy
USF
UCF
East Carolina
Temple

West
Boise St
San Diego St
Houston
SMU
Nevada
UNLV

Add 4 ACC leftovers from Duke, Wake, Louisville, Pitt, BCU and Cuse. I'm assuming FSU, Clemson, Ga Tech, Miami, NC ST, UNC, UVa and Va Tech would already be poached.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Keep this league at 12 schools. With the Western schools out of the picture for the Pac and UConn, UC and USF off the board in the east, the B!G, SEC and Big 12 would be left with going after the ACC. Any of the remaining ACC schools would be better options than Tulane and Memphis.

East
UConn
Cincy
USF
UCF
East Carolina
Temple

West
Boise St
San Diego St
Houston
SMU
Nevada
UNLV

Add 4 ACC leftovers from Duke, Wake, Louisville, Pitt, BCU and Cuse. I'm assuming FSU, Clemson, Ga Tech, Miami, NC ST, UNC, UVa and Va Tech would already be poached.

I like what you're proposing, but I really feel like Fresno has to be part of that equation. Not sure who I would pull out of the west in order to do that, or maybe it would mean that we take another school in the east to go to 14. But I feel like you do that the league has to be good from top to bottom, which by definition, means smaller. A 16 team conference is silly, because there just aren't 16 strong teams out there. But what you've presented looks pretty good to me.

Question is: Does it look good to NBC, FOX, or ESPN?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Well, I'm easy.

It's a sad day and I'm not being all that productive. I think I might wrap things up and go to my daughter's basketball game. That just feels right today.
And no matter how she does give her a big hug!

Reaction Score
I like what you're proposing, but I really feel like Fresno has to be part of that equation. Not sure who I would pull out of the west in order to do that, or maybe it would mean that we take another school in the east to go to 14. But I feel like you do that the league has to be good from top to bottom, which by definition, means smaller. A 16 team conference is silly, because there just aren't 16 strong teams out there. But what you've presented looks pretty good to me.

Question is: Does it look good to NBC, FOX, or ESPN?
I just threw in UNLV as a travel partner for SD ST, but Fresno, Utah St or even BYU could replace them. You're right that 16 to start is too big. Memphis, Tulane, Rice and Service Academies don't fit for one reason or another, but the ACC will become as vulnerable as the Big East was. Then you could pick and choose who you want from them.

I don't include ND (who would raise any contract, but F'em they would throw things out of balance. FOX or NBC, Disney caused all this to begin with so put them on the ND sh&t list.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I hear ya, I texted my daughters (both in HS) to tell them I loved them. Oxford HS is about 10 minutes away from all this.
Great gesture. Love directed towards our children, even when we think they don't appreciate it, is always appreciated at some level of their being.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I just threw in UNLV as a travel partner for SD ST, but Fresno, Utah St or even BYU could replace them. You're right that 16 to start is too big. Memphis, Tulane, Rice and Service Academies don't fit for one reason or another, but the ACC will become as vulnerable as the Big East was. Then you could pick and choose who you want from them.

I think that UNLV brings some good stuff to a western side of the conference; the foremost thing being basketball. But they aren't that bad in football either, and it helps to have Vegas under your umbrella, I would think, from a tv standpoint.

I like the list you put together. Nothing against the fans of both Memphis and Tulane, but.......Memphis and Tulane!!! I know that if we continue with our current format that they will be our conference brothers, but they really have done nothing to deserve it. ECU certainly deserves it, but Memphis and Tulane do not. And the eastern side basketball division would be plenty good with UConn, Cincy, Temple, and UCF. We don't need Memphis for hoops...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I like going a little bigger, because I want to cripple the MWC and CUSA.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I just hope they don't call it the "Transcontinental Conference". They might call us the Trannies.

LMFAO!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member