uconn and cincy talk all new sports league | The Boneyard

uconn and cincy talk all new sports league

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think UConn should be pursuing this proposed conference. I think it could be a decent conference that allows our teams to compete at the highest level. Is it great no but if no invite is coming from the ACC, Big Ten, or Big 12 then there is nothing realistic to do.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Holy crap! I'm not even sure I've fully digested all of the ramifications of what I just read. I'm not sure if it's the dumbest thing for us to do....or the absolute smartest?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
It's the dumbest.

Just join the Catholics in all sports and try to get some sort of scheduling agreement in football. If no takers you put out a public offer we will play anyone 1-1-1. Once at our place, once at yours, and once at the Meadowlands or Foxboro (your call and split the gate). There is just no reason to be sending all of our teams all over the country.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Holy crap! I'm not even sure I've fully digested all of the ramifications of what I just read. I'm not sure if it's the dumbest thing for us to do....or the absolute smartest?

Yup. It makes sense because it makes no sense!

Reaction Score
If there's a GOR, no, not worth it. But as a temporary home, it might work. The football would be semi-respectable, the basketball wouldn't be powerhouse, but it also wouldn't be watered down by 5-6 abysmal programs, as it would in the Big East remnants, so it could be a sustainable home. But as anything more than a placeholder until (hopefully) an invite elsewhere comes, it's not really a great idea.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As crazy as it sounds, it might just work. A lot better than what we are looking at now.

Reaction Score
Mull this thing over before you judge it guys.

Putting some sports in with The Big Pontifex Conference is not an option. They don't want any Pagans.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Mull this thing over before you judge it guys.

Putting some sports in with The Big Pontifex Conference is not an option. They don't want any Pagans.

The practical results of all this is kicking Tulane and ECU to the curb and adding New Mexico and UNLV instead. Swapping BYU for SMU is a pipedream. Worth exploring but a waste of time.

Reaction Score
The practical results of all this is kicking Tulane and ECU to the curb and adding New Mexico and UNLV instead. Swapping BYU for SMU is a pipedream. Worth exploring but a waste of time.

ECU should be in the conversation for this conference. Tulane? Nope.

Reaction Score
Intersting article. If we did this would we be committed? Would we stay in this conference even if the ACC or the BIG offered? I don't think we can do this unless we intend on staying no matter what other options become available. All the schools would have to be resigned to the fact they they won't be leaving the conference for any reason or it won't work. Our next move to any conference should be permanent, not temporary.

Reaction Score
I'm actually up for it. It's not like I love the league, but there are some decent programs.

Most of the programs have been disrespected for one reason or another (east coast bias, not first in their state, not "traditional" enough). Let's go rogue! Make it a league that plays great offense in football, and will play anywhere/anytime in football and basketball.

I don't live in CT, but I'd look into getting season tix. I go to UConn bball games when their in my backyard. I'd be happy to donate tix to someone that would get their butts in the seats and make us look good.

Reaction Score
It's the dumbest.

Just join the Catholics in all sports and try to get some sort f scheduling agreement in football. If no takers you put out a public offer we will play anyone 1-1-1. Once at our place, once at yours, and once at the Meadowlands or Foxboro (your call and split the gate). There is just no reason to be sending all of our teams all over the country.
Ok... the c7 just left because of football. they'll invite uconn because why?

Reaction Score
Take them all. Keep Houston, SMU, Tulane, ECU. Go 16. (only play 1 or 2 crossovers in football; round robin+2 crossovers for basketball)

To avoid the GOR, take schools that have reasonable* aspirations for moving into a better conference. Nevada and New Mexico are flagship state universities that could imagine themselves in the P12**. UNLV, Boise, and any others could perhaps see themselves in the B12.

Regardless, to avoid GOR, pitch like the lower division of EPL: do well, maybe you get called up.

*I use reasonable here in the loosest terms.
**They're not going to get invited, but since Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and maybe Texas one day are in, they geographically make sense and could convince themselves.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Ok... the c7 just left because of football. they'll invite uconn because why?

Really? Let's see, they have to negotiate a TV contract, they maintain voting power (versus their old position in the BE), and they need to sell tickets.

Reaction Score
Sounds like two single dudes saying "aw forget women, they got cooties anyway". Guess what's gonna happen when a lady comes a'callin, though?

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but is this really much different than if we (Temple/Cinci/UConn/whatever else) just joining CUSA? We'd get to do a new contract and might make a little more money but as far as competition goes, it's basically the same. I'd like it better if it wasn't for all sports, but either way would we really want to commit to this long term? Every person on this board thinks there will be more movements, do we want to lock into a lousy situation? The truth is this new conference wouldn't be much better than CUSA so why commit to it?

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but is this really much different than if we (Temple/Cinci/UConn/whatever else) just joining CUSA? We'd get to do a new contract and might make a little more money but as far as competition goes, it's basically the same. I'd like it better if it wasn't for all sports, but either way would we really want to commit to this long term? Every person on this board thinks there will be more movements, do we want to lock into a lousy situation? The truth is this new conference wouldn't be much better than CUSA so why commit to it?
Why join CUSA when we can take the best CUSA and MWC teams? Get a big conference with 2 divisions, and minimize travel by not playing those western schools really at all, except for in the conference championship game or tournament.

Kill all the other conferences that could compete so that we'll always be that 6th conference.

Reaction Score
Why join CUSA when we can take the best CUSA and MWC teams? Get a big conference with 2 divisions, and minimize travel by not playing those western schools really at all, except for in the conference championship game or tournament.

Kill all the other conferences that could compete so that we'll always be that 6th conference.

Pretty much. It is a clear difference from what the Big East was going to be. It's basically the best from three conferences.

Reaction Score

Of course it's better than CUSA. You're replacing the dregs of CUSA with the best Mountain West teams.

Reaction Score

Joining CUSA forces UConn to align with schools that CUSA has already admitted into their number as full members (such as FIU and North Texas), and locks UConn into any existing media contract they have.

Making our own league allows us to control who's in the league, and we'll be able to get our own media contract (as small as it's likely to be).

Reaction Score
We can make a pretty decent league. A basketball league that is better than the P12, and maybe even the B12. We can make a football league that is clearly #6--and in good years, is maybe #5.

That's what we need to do. Do I like it? No. Can we do anything else at this point? No.

Reaction Score
I can't believe anyone would sign up for a lifetime of CUSA+ when there's even a slight chance of going to a better conference. If you commit to this mess you're saying that the Big5 conferences aren't going to expand...ever. Does anyone here think that? You think this board is a nuthouse now, wait until we have to decline an invitation from the ACC or B1G because we decided it'd be a good idea to sign our TV rights away to play Houston and Tulane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom