Uconn and Boise who is in better position for Conference Realignment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn and Boise who is in better position for Conference Realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boise. If TCU can stumble ass backwards into the Big12 Boise will be fine.

Reaction Score
L'ville was an abberation UConn's easily the next move for anyone P5 esp east of the Mississippi.The Big12 would be wise to create interest in the NE megalopolis and give WV an eastern college partner! Imagine how fast the Big12 could pass the ACC with Texas and NY in their viewership?Maybe add a Houston or even a Temple to bulk up an eastern division?

I agree. I think it would be a brilliant move on the part of the B12 to scoop up UConn, Cincy, and a few others. Probably UCF and Memphis or Temple. They could add some quality programs in big markets and become a relevant entity in the Northeast, Midwest, and Florida.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Boise. If TCU can stumble ass backwards into the Big12 Boise will be fine.

Nope.

Boise is f---ed for however long Boise is a city in Idaho.

Nobody, but nobody, but nobody is looking to add a trip to Idaho to their conference schedule. (Except, you know, the American.)

Reaction Score
We duck__ed up in public relations with the schools that went to the ACC. We bit the hands that fed us, and as a result, still in the AAC. That's how close we are. BC does fear the thought of us going to the B1G. I mean eye-popping fear. Is BSU still on the Big 12's radar?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You know, the ACC is about 50-50 now between ACC teams and former Big East teams...

If BE teams did get together in a block and lobby for a former conference mate, it might have some effect.

But then again, at the end of the day, maybe it is the bean counters who will make any decision. Who is best for revenue enhancement in the media contract.

Reaction Score
You know, the ACC is about 50-50 now between ACC teams and former Big East teams...

If BE teams did get together in a block and lobby for a former conference mate, it might have some effect.

But then again, at the end of the day, maybe it is the bean counters who will make any decision. Who is best for revenue enhancement in the media contract.
That's something YOU guys gotta work on. Sacred Heart University (SW CT; second largest Catholic school in NE) might be available one day in the future. They are aiming very high. FBS football there sounds wild but some there seeming to be dreaming that big. BC, SHU and ND. That would be crazy.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The answer to the question is about 1000x in favor of UConn.

Some of the posters have already talked about many of the factors, but let's recap them:

1) Possible P5 Matches - UConn is a realistic target for the ACC or the B1G if either one chose to expand. Additionally, there have been those on the fringe who have talked about a very very outside possibility of a Big12 move that might include UConn, and certainly if the Big12 were to ever break up based on a move by Texas to the PAC, B1G, or SEC, the remaining Big12 teams would likely cozy up with UConn in some weird conglomerate. There are those on the fringe who believe Boise is a target for the Big12 also, but that would be the only chance they have. They'll never get into the PAC. Literally never.

2) Athletic Department Budget - Based on the last numbers I've seen for each school, UConn's is around 63 million. Boise's is around 32 million.

3) Location - As Fishy said, nobody is dying to go on a road trip to Idaho. However, UConn's addition will allow for penetration into NYC.

I'm sure there are other factors, like national championship level Olympic sports, academics, financial backing of the state of CT....but why rub salt into the wound. The saddest news out of all this is that we need conference realignment to happen one more time for all this to come true, and it seems less and less likely every day...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Best bet and what should've happened:

The top teams from the MWC and AAC merge into a 14 or 16 team league.

-Nearly assures the league of getting the "Access bowl" every season.
- You can minimize travel in Olympic sports by mainly playing with the 6 or 7 teams in your division.
- Better overall basketball as far as NCAAT are concerned. Most years that is a 6 bid league.

East (7): UConn, Cinci, UCF, USF, Temple, Memphis, ECU

West (7): Houston, SMU, Boise State, UNLV, San Diego State, Fresno State, New Mexico

Teams left out: Tulane, Tulsa, Navy, Air Force, Colorado State, Hawaii, Nevada, Wyoming, San Jose State and Utah State.

I realize Im replying to a big basketball fan... but if this particular fantasy evolved no way would I leave out Utah State for New Mexico or SMU. I'd probably take Colorado State over either of them as well.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
By every desirable metric (athletic department revenue/budget, academic profile, demographic, brand, etc), UCONN should be the next school tapped into a P5 conference. UCONN should have been tapped years ago, but no use crying over spilt milk. But because we've seen this game played before and the criteria changed to suit whatever school gets invited over UCONN, I fully expect to see Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Temple, CCSU, and Porter & Chester to get into the ACC before UCONN gets their escape pod out of this miserable AAC.

Reaction Score
Only way Boise goes first is if the Pac-12 is the only conference expanding. And I'm going after BYU a lot harder than Boise if that's the case.

Reaction Score
You are probably right, but BYU, along with UConn and maybe Cincinnati, is the last big addition a conference could make from a competition and money making standpoint.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My ranking of schools in terms of likelihood to gain a spot in the P5:

1) BYU - they could choose between the Pac 12 and Big 12 tomorrow if they could stop being BYU behind the scenes. There are few more difficult athletic departments to deal with in the entire country.

2) Cincinnati - at the top of the list for the Big 12 because WVU is dying on the vine.

3) UConn

4) New Mexico - most likely partner for BYU if the Pac 12 ever expands. Big school, reasonably big market, good hoops, instant rivalry with Arizona and Colorado.

5) UNLV - Vegas is both good and bad for an expansion candidate.

6&7) USF/UCF - if the Big 12 wanted to go to Florida. Unlikely to ever happen.

8) Boise - Boise the city is not bad, and would bring one of the best remaining big market in the west into the Pac 12. Boise is not far from Salt Lake either. The bigger problem is the academics, the rest of the athletic department beyond football, and the fact that Pac 12 has pretty high standards for additions.

I don't think there is a single other team in the AAC that is a realistic candidate for the P5.

Reaction Score
The whole thing is fluid though and for some conferences based on who is doing what and when.

UC seems to be all in with trying to make itself the prettiest girl left standing against the wall at the homecoming dance with stadium upgrades and a staff constantly tweeting about how it's "the hottest college in America", and that could be what gets them in eventually.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I was looking at WVU records since joining the Big12.

Football: 7-6, 4-8
Basketball: 13-19, 14-9

Surprising to see two strong programs seemingly fall off so quickly after leaving the Big East. I'm sure the extended travel has way more of an impact hoops but must have some impact in football too. The Big12 was also a lot tougher conference in football than the last few big east seasons WV played in.

Would adding a Cinci/UConn help in regards to travel, sure? Would having the eastern teams in decent markets plus a championship game be worth it? who knows.

Reaction Score
The whole 20 seasons that they were in the Big East, WVU had one football conference championship that was not shared.

When VT and Miami left the BE, it did open a door for WVU to be the big guy. But Cincinnati,Louisville, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, and UConn ended up sharing one or more titles.

WVU was usually higher ranked and thus went to the bowl as the BE rep, but they were co-champs.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
If I had to handicap the rankings of all the non-P5 schools it would be:

Tier 1:
Connecticut
BYU

Tier 2:
Cincinnati

Tier 3:
Central Florida
South Florida
Temple
Houston

Tier 4:
Everyone else

Reaction Score
This is why I don't want this to happen too soon. We need some time to regenerate the football program and put some space between some of the flys in our ointment. If the ACC wanted to expand now, then things might not work out in our favor again.
Zoo, see your point; time gives us something else very critical-better marketing into Fairfield County and NYC.
IMO-TV sets matter greatly and better market penetration for the B1G Network, probable ACC Network and as some on the board have expressed, the Longhorn Network (though improbable) is one of the biggest factors to consider. Market share in NYC is key to selling UCONN---hence SNY being pushed as the "Home of the Huskies" and the BB teams getting to Bridgeport were key, IMHO, to our future development and CR....... NYC, though termed a "professional sports town" loves winners. ...next year's game (11/8) with ARMY doesn't hurt being in the Bronx for exposure.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Zoo, see your point; time gives us something else very critical-better marketing into Fairfield County and NYC.
IMO-TV sets matter greatly and better market penetration for the B1G Network, probable ACC Network and as some on the board have expressed, the Longhorn Network (though improbable) is one of the biggest factors to consider. Market share in NYC is key to selling UCONN---hence SNY being pushed as the "Home of the Huskies" and the BB teams getting to Bridgeport were key, IMHO, to our future development and CR.. NYC, though termed a "professional sports town" loves winners. ...next year's game (11/8) with ARMY doesn't hurt being in the Bronx for exposure.

A soldout Yankee Stadium with a large UCONN contingency would go a LONG way towards helping our CR cause. Hopefully, UCONN will have a winning record at that point. If we repeat 2013 in 2014, it will be an embarrassing black eye.

Reaction Score
Since there isn't much going on thought I would start something up... see if anyone bothers. Between the two who gets into a P5 conference first?

Boise has some good football going on. But there academics are comparable to a Animal college and I don't think the Pac 12 will ever be desperate enough for sports only teams like the ACC was for Louisville. I kind of think the same thing with the Big 12 concerning them. So are they totally screwed?

As for Uconn we all know they have limited friends in the ACC and the Big 1o is uncertain.Both are kind of stuck but for difference reasons.

Boise St lets cats in there college that can talk and we cant make friends at all.....

Reaction Score
Boise and Uconn are pretty much screwed unless their is some kind of access to top football tier to teams that really want to pay the price.
If UConn had Boise's recent football history we would be in already
If Boise had UConn academic credentials they would also probably be in.

Reaction Score
The next conference to expand is likely the Big12.
Their targets would probably be
- Cincinnati
- someone from Mtn
- BYU
- USF and UCF

Boise is far and has a new FB coach. But if they remain strong in FB, they will be attractive.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The next conference to expand is likely the Big12.
Their targets would probably be
- Cincinnati
- someone from Mtn
- BYU
- USF and UCF

Boise is far and has a new FB coach. But if they remain strong in FB, they will be attractive.

Here is a fun fact that I'm sure the Big12 has considered: UConn and Boise State are pretty much equidistant to the Big12 teams when you look on the map. We're closer to places like Ames, IA, and they are closer to places like Stillwater, OK. But from an overall distance standpoint, it's a wash. Same thing goes for Storrs CT vs. Tampa or Orlando.

Cincy and BYU have an edge in Big12 expansion for a few reasons, no doubt about it. But when comparing the other places mentioned, I still think the advantage goes to UConn. Having said that, in my mind, it's unlikely that any of the other institutions are invited into the Big12 unless extreme turmoil breaks out (a.k.a., Texas / OU to another conference)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom